Honda CX 500 Forum banner

841 - 860 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #842
I just bought a 3D Orcabot printer. Hope i will get as handy with it as you. I was wondering where you got the switches from?
I've never heard of that printer before today (probably because the company is based out of the Netherlands) but doing some research it looks really nice actually!. I think you'll love it, they're an amazing tool to have for anyone doing projects.

For most of the switches, I purchased them at my local electronics store called SAYAL Electronics. They had a lot of switches available and I was able to find some that I thought would work well with the bike.
The buttons are the only things I ordered online, and this was because I wanted a certain type that was very similar to the Motogadget ones. I picked those up from Amazon

Cool stuff Moto
Thanks buddy! :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
They look nice and minimalistic.
Next step a laser cutter in the shed?

@Phoenicx, check out conrad.nl daar vindt je erg veel verschillende onderdelen.
(I recommended him a Dutch site where he can order lots of electronic stuff.)

Tapatalk Sony Xperia Z3

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #844

Tapatalk Sony Xperia Z3
A man can only dream LOL ;)

And that's awesome, glad you can help out! It would definitely be cheaper to get stuff from there :p

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #846

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #847
After printing out the first control housings there were a few minor issues that needed to be resolved, so it was back to SolidWorks for a quick redesign. After making the changes I printed out another set of the control bodies. These should be the final ones so I'll get to sanding them down and clear coating in a little while.

20160208_195902.jpg

And the buttons finally came in the mail, so I was able to start on a bit of the wiring. I soldered the wires to the controls and terminated the other end of the wires so I can add connectors once I slide them through the handlebars.
Here is a question for you guys, do you think I should keep the push buttons as bare metal, or paint/cover them to be black to match the rest of the controls?

20160206_195117.jpg

And the last little update was on some terminal block casings I made. In the original wiring I had a bunch of splitters in line to get the 'ground' and '12V switched' around to all the various components. But I found that it did not look good with all the wires branching off, so I wanted to use a common terminal in order to keep things neat and organized for future troubleshooting. So I was able to source some terminals that would work, but there was no case for them. Queue the 3D printer!!!
I designed the case to have cutouts for a screwdriver to reach the terminals and a cutout for the wires to pop out too. The lid just slides in place and is a tight fit so it won't come off. As you can see I was having too much fun with the whole "Motomicah" thing lol :p
These will be mounted on the frame under the tank beside the relays. One will be a common ground and the other will be common 12V switched.

20160208_195717.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts

Tapatalk Sony Xperia Z3
Thx. Will have a peak.

·
Registered
388 Posts
And the last little update was on some terminal block casings I made. In the original wiring I had a bunch of splitters in line to get the 'ground' and '12V switched' around to all the various components. But I found that it did not look good with all the wires branching off, so I wanted to use a common terminal in order to keep things neat and organized for future troubleshooting. So I was able to source some terminals that would work, but there was no case for them. Queue the 3D printer!!!
I designed the case to have cutouts for a screwdriver to reach the terminals and a cutout for the wires to pop out too. The lid just slides in place and is a tight fit so it won't come off. As you can see I was having too much fun with the whole "Motomicah" thing lol :p
These will be mounted on the frame under the tank beside the relays. One will be a common ground and the other will be common 12V switched.

View attachment 31701
Can I buy one or two off you? I am in exactly the same boat after my M-Unit install!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #850

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #851
So unfortunately the new throttle assembly I purchased didn't work out. The threaded portion that receives the "push" cable was the wrong thread size. Apparently on Honda's, the two threads for the cables are actually different sizes, and so after failing to re-tap into such a thin amount of material, I decided to go with the motion pro assembly instead:

20160212_204023.jpg

And I sanded down the hand control housing and gave them a few coats of clear. Due to the curved nature of the print, it was hard to get rid of all the lines, but I figure it gives it a bit of a custom look and if anyone asks I can tell them they were 3D printed.

20160212_204144.jpg

I drilled come small clearance holes into the handlebars in order to fit the wiring through and mounted up the controls along with the new clutch and brake assemblies. It isn't as clean looking as I had hoped for, but I really do like the smaller and more compact hand controls! I think they turned out great, I just wish they weren't hidden so much by the clutch, brake and throttle assembles. I have an idea though, I might 3D print some simple covers so at least they all have the same style on the bars.

20160216_205204.jpg

20160216_205215.jpg

20160216_205235.jpg

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #852
Well things have been super hectic the past month with exams and school and home life. I haven't had much time to touch the bike at all except for the past couple days. I was hoping to be further along by the time the warm weather rolled around but looks like I might miss the mark.

The wiring is going good, just very time consuming. I am soldering and heat shrinking every connection and making sure everything is in its place. For now it is a rough pass to ensure all the wiring works with the new controls, and once I have verified everything is good I will go back and make it all look pretty with expandable sleeving and zip-ties.

20160310_214717.jpg

20160313_175559.jpg

I also wired up the light for the MotoMicah Logo a bit better using two strips of LED's. I am still running into issues with certain spots being brighter than others, so I might have to try a few more things.

20160309_223245.jpg

20160309_223338.jpg

Aside from that, not much else is going on at the moment. Wiring is one of those items that you just have to plow though and pictures aren't always the most enjoyable, so I will probably post again once the wiring is finished.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #854

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #855
So many wires!!! It was a big job to organize everything, but after a long time spent hunched over the bike with the soldering iron and zip ties, I feel like I can be happy with my work...for now.....

After getting everything to function properly, this was the jumble of wires I had to deal with:

20160322_210410.jpg

After many hours out in the garage, I was able to sort, run and wrap groups of wires. I used black expandable sleeving and then placed the long straight section into another wrap to give it a clean look. The bundle of wires is a lot thicker than the original wiring harness, but such is the price for having compact hand controls and relays. Once the tank is on it hides the rest of the imperfections. I spent as much time as I could routing the wires nice and cleanly, but I feel like I could've spent another year just trying to get it perfect lol. So I got it to a point I could live with, and then had to say that was enough or else I'd have gone insane :p

20160326_185145.jpg

20160326_190016.jpg

The common terminal blocks I made worked really well! A lot easier to troubleshoot too, and they make the wiring look nice too.

I was also able to sort out the logo to a point I was happy with, and wire in a 12V to 5V converter (I re-purposed a car charger as that is their exact function) to charge the Moto 360. With everything hooked up and turned on I think it looks sweeeeeet!!! It will prove very useful when I want to go exploring!

20160326_185223.jpg

As of now I still need to clean up the wires and connectors in the front of the bike and get ready to start making the headlight fairing, so that's next on the to-do list. Along with another little project for the bike.....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #856
So while I wait for the new headlight brackets to come in the mail before starting the fairing, I decided to start on the next project. Along with the headlight fairing, I've been finding myself leaning towards the typical cafe racer hump on bikes. So far this build has more of a "Brat" feel to it, and I think I want to go a bit more into the "cafe racer" realm. I'll keep the old seat for riding two-up, but as a daily rider I like the single-seater look. That being said, I didn't just want to copy every other hump out there and have a standard looking one.
So after a few sketches and a long time modelling (this shape was very hard to recreate in SolidWorks and it took me a long time to get it worked out), I was able to get a design I liked and something that would hopefully stand out.

Hump 1.JPG

Hump 2.JPG

Now that I had the model made, it was just a matter of printing it out on my 3D printer. I used white ABS this time because I wanted it to be a bit more durable and not melt at higher temperatures in the summer. You can see though, ABS has it problems with printing. As it cools from such a high temperature, it shrinks, and in some cases the layers can come apart. Because this piece was so large there was a lot of warping in the vertical direction, and as such, a few sections on the outside separated. This isn't too big of an issue though, as I will fill in the gaps with Bondo later.

As the full hump was too large for my printer, I had to print it in two sections. I made holes so that I could put in reinforcement rods. I had some spare brass lying around so I used that.

20160329_204830.jpg

20160329_204842.jpg

20160329_210407.jpg

After roughing up both mating surfaces with sandpaper, I used JB Weld to bond both parts together:

20160330_205005.jpg

I bought some fiberglass infused bondo and filled in the cracks and seams. That is the stage I am currently at. I've sanded a bit, but as usual I am super busy with school so it isn't ready to be coated or painted yet. Hopefully in the next little while I can start on the seat pan and get that ready to be upholstered.

Reactions: OCR and Volaussie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
Thanks J.C.! I absolutely love being able to make parts for the bike so easily! It really is an amazing tool to have in your arsenal.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #859
Nothing more has been done on the hump or seat yet due to exams at the moment. What little time I have had to work on the bike is used up getting the bike on the road.
One such thing that needed to be done was fixing an exhaust leak and re-wrapping the headers to a better finish than the first time around.

I picked up some black fiberglass wrap from amazon that came with stainless steel zip ties. The new wrap and the old wrap:

20160415_163501.jpg

I then proceeded to wet and apply the wrap to the headers:

20160416_121205.jpg

Then she was finally ready to ride! With the weather the way it was this weekend, I was able to get out and take her for a spin, and fall in love all over again!!!

Along with the new mods to the bike, I picked up some new riding gear to match the bike a bit more. I purchased a new jacket and gloves as well as had a mirrored visor shipped in from the UK:

20160416_170505.jpg

And now if I don't fit the part, at least I look like I do :p

20160416_175519-01.jpeg

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #860
I got my new headlight brackets in the mail. Very nice units and very pleased with the quality! The holes for the headlight bolts are a bit too large for my particular light so I will have to make or buy some spacers to fit in them.

20160423_120144.jpg

20160424_203905.jpg

I also finished sanding the rear hump and prepped it for painting:

20160425_193845.jpg

and lastly I started to work on the seat pan. Using some aluminum sheet as before, I traced and cut out the shape I needed and started to form it to the bike:

20160423_120725.jpg

Even just laying everything in place I think it will look very good when it's done!

20160425_162239.jpg

I am waiting for some foam for the seat to come in so I can shape it to fit the bike and hump, and then I will send it off to the same guy that did my previous seat and get him to cover the new one.

841 - 860 of 997 Posts