821 - 840 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #822
Stop making such sweet stuff! I can't compete

sent via Tapatalk
Well now, what fun would it be if you didn't have any competition? :p

Also, I would like to point out how much of a fan I am of your seat! I have seen a few similar ones and I am really starting to like the look of the hump incorporated into the seat.....maybe I shall make another seat in the future......

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #823
So things have been kind of hectic since last Saturday. My dad had a pretty serious stroke, so I've been busy driving back and forth to the hospital as well as taking care of some things at home. Hopefully it won't delay the mods on the bike too much, but family comes first in these matters, so updates will be slow over the next little while.

After doing some more testing with the new 3D printed part and seeing how everything worked out very nicely, I decided to move on to the next step; filling in the name with clear resin!

First step was to mask off the front portion of the letters:

20151212_113659.jpg

Then pour the resin into the cavity I had designed. I only filled it half way to accommodate the LED lights later on:

20151212_121008.jpg

Then I let it sit for 24 hours before removing the tape. This is when I noticed that I had a lot of large bubbles trapped at the top of the lettering due to the small crevices and thick resin not being able to flow into them:

20151214_211418.jpg

So I masked off around the top portion of the letters and poured some more resin to fill in the holes:

20151217_212029.jpg

After sanding with 600 grit then 1000 grit sandpaper, I was able to get a very smooth surface. So smooth in fact, that the letters can hardly be seen if the light is blocked from behind:

20151217_213801.jpg

Here you can see how clearly the letters show up when light is shone through them though! So just imagine this.....but in red.......

20151217_213825.jpg

That's all I've really had time to do this week, but hopefully I will be able to get a bit more done in the next little while.
If I don't post anything new before the holidays, Merry Christmas to everyone!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I hope your dad gets well soon. Hang in there.

It keeps getting better :)

I've never liked my stock subframe and bought the seat in advance. Just to stimulate myself to find a solution to make it fit and look a million bucks! The bump is subtle and makes it look a little more sporty.

And merry Christmas to you mate, your family and everyone who reads this.

sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #825
I hope your dad gets well soon. Hang in there.

It keeps getting better :)

I've never liked my stock subframe and bought the seat in advance. Just to stimulate myself to find a solution to make it fit and look a million bucks! The bump is subtle and makes it look a little more sporty.

And merry Christmas to you mate, your family and everyone who reads this.

sent via Tapatalk
Thanks Volaussie! It looks like he is improving slowly each day! Just have to keep our thoughts and prayers positive :)

LOL, I like the way you think! It really helps to motivate yourself when you've already spent the money on a part and just need to find a way to mount it haha. But I do agree, it does make it look very sporty. I think once I get finished with the headlight fairing I might look into making another seat so that the bike can have a bit more of a cafe racer look. I'll keep the other seat when I want to ride two-up of course though.

Thanks again buddy!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #827
Looks good Micah! Best of luck with your fathers health also bud.
Thanks a bunch Elvis! Hopefully they'll be reducing the sedative in the next few days and I'll be able to talk with him soon, it seems like it's been forever!

I'm hoping to start cleaning up the wiring a bit tomorrow, or at least start to plan it out a bit.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #828
I got a few cool toys for Christmas that should look good on the bike! New brake and clutch assemblies, as well as a new throttle sleeve:

20151228_115654.jpg

I also picked up a few various switches, buttons and relays to use for the custom controls I will be designing:

20151228_120202.jpg

All of this is in preparation for cleaning up the look of the front and all the wiring too.
I have started by stripping down the old controls and getting a handle on which wires are which. This is the first step in a long journey to cleaning things up a bit.

20151228_201620.jpg

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #829
I haven't had a chance to do much with the wiring due to the fact that I'm waiting for a few more components to come in the mail. Also, school is starting back up this week so things are extra hectic.
But what I have been able to do is design a mount for all the relays that will fit under the gas tank on the main frame.

This component I printed off on my own personal 3D printer (The Wanhao Duplicator I3) because it doesn't have to be super detailed and will be mostly hidden.
I originally printed it off in black ABS to go with the black frame, however ABS has the tendency to warp when it is cooled, and for such a long piece it ended up warping a fair amount. So I decided to print it off in white PLA instead (I don't have black PLA yet) and will paint it afterwards. This is a much more forgiving plastic and prints out nicely almost every time, although it isn't as strong or flexible as ABS.

The first few layers of the one section were floating off the build plate, so a grid of support had to be printed too:

20160103_124843.jpg

About 1/4 of the way through the print:

20160103_144905.jpg

And the final product alongside the warped ABS attempt. You can see just how much the plastic bent up from the build plate. It still would've worked fine, but I wouldn't have been as happy with it.

20160103_215736.jpg

And here it is with the relays placed inside it. I will use adhesive backed Velcro when I mount it to allow easy removal of the relays if need be.

20160103_215805.jpg

I know it isn't anything super exciting, but it turned out good, and I'm quite pleased with it :)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Just be sure to mount it behind the air dam, you know how heat can effect solid state relays.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #831
Just be sure to mount it behind the air dam, you know how heat can effect solid state relays.
I was going to mount them on top of the main frame under the tank so hopefully the heat won't be too much up there with the air flow coming through.
I did forget about the heat though, so I will definitely keep an eye on them for the first little while to ensure that they are functioning good.
Thanks for the tip OCR!

IMG_9403b.jpg

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #832
I ordered a new stainless steel braided brake line from Apex Brakes which is somewhat local for me, and it looks fantastic! The main reason I purchased it was because the bike still had the original line which was getting old, plus it was too long after putting the clip-ons on. I paid around $35 for it (shipping included) and I didn't think that was a bad deal at all. Hopefully it functions as good as it looks!

20160105_190058.jpg

And I also had to reprint the relay holder as the first one was too tall and wouldn't fit far enough under the tank. This new version has the smaller relays lying on their side and I also reduced the overall height of the holder.

20160106_212330.jpg

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #833
So the main reason for no new updates is because not a lot has happened on the bike in the past little while. The weather is so cold that working out in the garage isn't any fun, things are still busy with school, and I am still waiting for some components in the mail. But the good news is my dad is doing a lot better now! He is in a rehabilitation center and is making great progress. Today I heard him speak for the first time in 5 weeks and it was very encouraging! :)

On the build, I was able to do a bit more to the Moto 360 mount. Although the quality coming out of the printer is fantastic, there is still room for improvement. So the first step was to sand it smooth with some 1000 grit sandpaper:

20160123_122601.jpg

Then all it needed was a nice layer of clear top coat. I decided to go with a matte finish after doing some testing because I found it matched the front portion of the bike the best . It also deepened the black and really helped to show off the curves of the part. I think it looks really really good, and can't wait to put it on the bike! :D
My apologies for the dirty Moto 360 lol. Those aren't scratches on the screen in case you were wondering, but rather just some lint.

20160123_204853.jpg

And here is the last little feature, which was delayed as I was waiting for some thinner 5mm LED strips to come in the mail. The name is almost unnoticeable when nothing is shining through it, but when the LED's turn on it looks amazing!

20160123_205434.jpg

I am still waiting on a few buttons to come in the mail before I proceed with the hand controls, but hopefully they will come in the next little while.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice! What is the moto360 going to take care of? Also, are you going to cable it into the bike or will it be easily removed for charging and such?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #835
Nice! What is the moto360 going to take care of? Also, are you going to cable it into the bike or will it be easily removed for charging and such?
It won't really control anything on the bike, it doesn't have that good of a programming interface and also not that powerful of a processor, but what it does do is tether to your phone and have some nifty apps! This means I can have access to google maps and essentially use it as a GPS. This will come in handy when I go out riding and want to explore. Yes, I know they make GPS models specifically for bikes, but they're all fairly large and not that sleek looking so this is a good compromise I think and fits in with the bike.
Plus.....if I ever wanted to, I could measure the steps my bike takes in a day and monitor the calories burnt :p

Here is an example of what the unit looks like while running the google maps app. I've blurred out the street names for obvious reasons, but you can see it's a nice clean and simple interface, and has enough information to guide me around.

20160126_000334.jpg

In terms of mounting and charging the Moto 360, I have designed the mount so that you can easily pop it out when you need to. The only time I will remove it though is when I put the bike away for winter storage. The wireless charger sits directly below the base and will charge the unit whenever the bike is running. The watch holds a charge for a few days, and it also charges fast so it should always be ready to go! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's some amazing work my friend. The LEDs shine through beautifully!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #838
That's some amazing work my friend. The LEDs shine through beautifully!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! :D I might add some reflective tape to the inside edges so the light is dissipated even more and shines through more evenly.

Reactions: Bully.cafe

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #839
The last components (mainly the buttons for the hand controls) are taking forever to get here!!
So I had to work with some dimensions I was given online and hope for the best lol.

Here are the hand controls that I have designed, or rather, the housings for the new hand controls. Everything is more compact and neat I think, and should fit nicely into the bike.

Hand Controls 1.JPG

I was able to print the parts out today. Here they are straight out of the printer:

20160202_115416.jpg

And after a little clean up:

20160202_185946.jpg

As you can see, they are a two part assembly. The front casing will contain all the electronics and wiring, while the rear will simple clamp down on the front and stop the whole thing from spinning on the bars. The top hole is threaded, and the two smaller bottom ones have cutouts so that a small metal nut can be fitted into the housing. Space was really tight at the bottom with the larger push buttons, so that is why I was only able to fit smaller M2 bolts on the bottom. Hopefully the buttons come in soon so I can put it all together!!!

821 - 840 of 997 Posts