Honda CX 500 Forum banner

781 - 800 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #782
I was originally going to anodize them black, but with the polished sections, and now the acrylic in the way that is no longer an option.
I understand where you guys are coming from with leaving them bare, and showing off the aluminum (maybe polishing it) but I don't feel like it will fit the bike as good. The mirrors I purchased are black and the handlebar and grips are all black and the idea was to blend them in a bit so that they wouldn't stick out too much. Having shiny aluminum showing would throw off the look I think.

On a functionality standpoint, if the aluminum was polished, there would be a glare off of it in the sunlight, and that would mean the contrast between the lights and housing would not be as great. This would result in a less noticeable flash I believe. Painting them black however, would increase the contrast, reduce the glare, and hopefully show the flashing lights more.

I will test them on the bike and see how they look with the bare aluminum, but as of now I think I will still paint them.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #783
I did some testing with the signals to see how they looked with the bare aluminum on the bike....and I just wasn't feeling it. They stuck out a bit too much for my liking. So I am sorry to all the guys who like seeing nice polished parts :undecided:

I was able to get the lights masked off and painted though, as well as get them hooked up on the bike to make sure everything worked well. I will install the signals tomorrow along with the new mirrors, but for now here are a couple of pictures.

Masked off the lens and threaded portion of the signal:

IMG_0631.JPG

After a coat of self etching primer:

IMG_0635.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #784
After a couple coats of semi-gloss black paint I removed the masking tape and gazed upon my creation:

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

So as you can see, I think they turned out beautiful! Would've been nice to anodize them, but maybe next time around I will find a way to do that.

The overall cost of these things is one of the best parts. The material, tubing, hardware and time were all free to me. The paint and resin used in this project cost me about $10, and the LED's and wiring cost me about another $10. So in total....I spent around $20 on these signals, which is a HUGE difference compared with the roughly $300 for the MotoGadget ones (Although I know for a fact that the MotoGadget ones are higher quality and take way less time to put together)
Still though, I am happy that I could make something like this from the ground up, and have it turn out as nice as it did!

Anyways, back to the mounting. Here are the mirrors I purchased, and they were a great fit except for the round plastic section where they mount to the signals; that had to be drilled out a bit to accommodate the different size:

IMG_0657.JPG

Finally it was time to mount the signals. Here you can see all the components on it that are needed to mount it. The tubing, washers and nut all slide on and the round plastic part is for mounting the mirrors on:

IMG_0660.JPG

Then mounting them was extremely easy! All you have to do is slide the wiring through the handlebars, push the rubber section into the end of the bars (making sure it won't spin inside), and then twist the whole unit which tightens up the nut, compressing the rubber, and gripping the inside of the tube. I was really surprised with how strong they were stuck in there! Props to the guys at MotoGadget for coming up with such a great system!

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

Lastly, the mirrors had to be mounted. I fooled around with a few different positions, and settled on having them mounting slightly below the handlebars. This makes them look clean, while giving me a great viewing angle. The only downside is that from the rear of the bike you can't really see the signals that well, but I don't mind too much as the rear are bright enough already. It would've been nice to have just the signals on the handlebars, but I love the look and function of having the mirrors so far out, so I can live with the slight covering of the signals due to the mirrors.

IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

In conclusion, I think the signals turned out great! They look good, function good, were fun to make and didn't break the bank. But don't expect me to be making another set any time soon :p

I was able to shoot a little video which shows them installed and working. The camera doesn't really do the lights justice as they are much brighter in real life, but it gives you an idea of how they look and function:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #786
Reactions: gregp

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Very impressive.

When do you go into production? :cool:

Reactions: Slexw and Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #790
You're off the hook...i liked your liking of the original like.
I would like your post, but I fear it will lead us into an inevitable loop of likes, from which there is no turning back! Therefore, I will give you the win and just say thank you :p

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #791
They turned out great Micah! Thumbs up! I also think your choice on the gloss black goes well with your bike, but I'll take matte or satin when I order my set from you... ;)
Thanks again Karl haha! LOL, well now, let's talk about price first :p The labor alone would be around the price point of the MotoaGadget units, plus the extra charge for a "custom" paint job, plus shipping and handling fees, plus a service fee for making me make another set of these buggers, and well.....you're looking at around an even $500. But since you're a forum member and friend, I will give you a discount.....$499.99 and a set of custom made bar end turn signals could be yours :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #792
Very impressive.

When do you go into production? :cool:
Thanks Sam!
From the sounds of it, I already have a few pre-orders hahaha. I am just in the phase of purchasing the tooling and raw materials at the moment, but will be reaching out for sponsors to help fund this endeavor of mine. Any takers? :evil5:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #794
Standard colour is pink. If you want them in black the price goes up another $25!

sent via Tapatalk
Now this idea I like! And a matte finish is an extra $50 :p

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Thanks again Karl haha! LOL, well now, let's talk about price first :p The labor alone would be around the price point of the MotoaGadget units, plus the extra charge for a "custom" paint job, plus shipping and handling fees, plus a service fee for making me make another set of these buggers, and well.....you're looking at around an even $500. But since you're a forum member and friend, I will give you a discount.....$499.99 and a set of custom made bar end turn signals could be yours :D
Huge gulp.
The only thing I like in your response was the kick-starter idea. lol. That I would gladly contribute to. This would of course would include my share, in form of a percentage of partnership within the new company. ;D
As you've made obvious, these type of ventures come at a cost, right? ;)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #796
Huge gulp.
The only thing I like in your response was the kick-starter idea. lol. That I would gladly contribute to. This would of course would include my share, in form of a percentage of partnership within the new company. ;D
As you've made obvious, these type of ventures come at a cost, right? ;)
LOL, oh I see how it is :p Fair enough though, if you help in the startup fees I guess I can give you a percent share in the company. However, I would like to retain 51% of the holdings just so I can still claim ownership of the company :)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I think the term "kick-starter" is for funding a start up company and not an actual peddle on the side of the motor for starting the engine

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #800
LOL I was confused there for a second Murray as I was referring to what Kameron mentioned :p It is a crowd funded type of product development. Although an actual kick starter would indeed be interesting!

I think CXPHREAK has the best idea though!

781 - 800 of 997 Posts