Honda CX 500 Forum banner

701 - 720 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
Was just fooling around with a cool app and figured I should post some of the results. Nothing too impressive, but kind of neat:

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

I also found out that a black CX650 (possibly dark blue though or a CX500) with lightning bolts painted on the tank and side covers, lives just down the street from me. So if you see this post mystery rider (or if anyone knows of someone with a bike matching that description), we shall have to have a chat sometime, because I am interested in your bike :p

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #703
So after going for a few group rides with some friends, they noted that the signal lights on my bike are nice and bright, even in direct sunlight, but the brake light is pretty dim. I was hoping the flasher module would help a bit in terms of getting people's attention, but if they can't even see the light then it serves no purpose. Night time use is great, but just during the day the LED's are not bright enough.

So I am looking into adding some red LED's, similar to the ones used on the turn signals or something a little smaller.
The only issue I am having is wear to mount them. There is enough room between the signals and current brake light to fit the circular LED's I think, but I don't know how that would look with two round bulbs sticking out from either side of the current brake light.

If anyone has any ideas of something that would work better and look more slick I'm all ears!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
That's a pretty snazzy looking tail light!
I was originally looking at getting something similar to that (not near as nice though) but had to change when I decided to go with the licence plate holder/rear fender thing.

Looking at the size though it says it's about 2" in diameter. That's perfect for the main brake light, but I think it might be a little big to fit on the back of my bike. I like the look of the LED strip I have on the bike now, but it's just not bright enough by itself. I think adding something small along with it should be fine though. Even though that light looks sick, I am not sure it would be a good secondary brake light just due to the size of it. Thanks for the link and details though Karl! :) Everything helps boost the creative process!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Oh snap! I must have misread your post and thought you were looking for a "main" brake light Micah. If I knew you were looking for a secondary brake light, I wouldn't have mentioned this one. lol. Sorry for that and I'm sure they'll be more than a few ideas thrown at you. I. MUST. LEARN. TO. READ. Pics looks great by the way man!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
No worries lol, I've done it many times myself :p I do like that light though, it looks great on your bike!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #707
So J.C. over at CX500info.com did up a featured build article on my build and I must say that it looks awesome! Very honored to now be a part of the list of CX500 builds and so happy to see how many of you guys have enjoyed the bike. It really does mean a lot that I have such a supportive community behind me!

Here is the link to the article: Featured Build: Honda CX500 Canadian Cafe Racer by MotoMicah | CX500info.com and if you guys haven't checked out the rest of his website or build list, you should! There is a lot of great info there and also some of the best looking builds all put together in one place.

Thanks again J.C.!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey Micah, admiring your work once again and carefully inspecting the details to maybe steal one or two hehehe. What color did you paint the motor? Because it looks dark in some photos but lighter in others, or maybe it's just me. I can see it's definitely not black but it's darker than the original aluminum color.

Currently have my engine apart and am going to paint the casing. I just purchased some duplicolor cast iron to run some tests on color.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
Hey Micah, admiring your work once again and carefully inspecting the details to maybe steal one or two hehehe. What color did you paint the motor? Because it looks dark in some photos but lighter in others, or maybe it's just me. I can see it's definitely not black but it's darker than the original aluminum color.

Currently have my engine apart and am going to paint the casing. I just purchased some duplicolor cast iron to run some tests on color.
Thanks for the support Chop88! Lol, by all means steal away, I've done that a lot too :p

The color is actually cast iron, but it is the VHT brand, not the duplicolor. I was originally going to use the duplicolor, but when doing tests it had too much of a green look to it.
I picked up the VHT one and I was much happier with it. I purchased a can of VHT primer, 2 cans of VHT cast iron, and one can of the VHT clear coat. This combination has held up very well and I am quite pleased with how it looks.

In the picture you can see what I mean. VHT cast iron is on the left and Duplicolor cast iron is on the right:

IMG_8460.JPG

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's indeed pretty green. I'm going to paint the engine cast iron too. I really like how it fits the bike.

sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
That's indeed pretty green. I'm going to paint the engine cast iron too. I really like how it fits the bike.

sent via Tapatalk
Yeah I never really noticed until I got it sprayed on the clutch cover. It's not too bad, but I am happy that I made the switch to the VHT.
I agree, it's the perfect color to show off the engine and yet keep it very subtle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank you for this. Good to know because I actually prefer the VHT it has higher temp thresholds if I'm not mistaken. Will be purchasing a set of VHT cans instead of the duplicolor. Just saved me a few bucks, thanks. Do you know if there's anything darker then the cast iron without being black?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
Thank you for this. Good to know because I actually prefer the VHT it has higher temp thresholds if I'm not mistaken. Will be purchasing a set of VHT cans instead of the duplicolor. Just saved me a few bucks, thanks. Do you know if there's anything darker then the cast iron without being black?
No problem! Yeah the VHT is really good stuff in my experience. A little more expensive, but worth it in the end.
I can't think of anything that's darker, at least not from VHT or Duplicolor, but you might check some other companies to see if they have something. Volaussie might be right, you might be able to find something like anthracite. I cannot attest to the quality of the other products though unfortunately.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just did a little googling and no luck on any high temp anthracite paint. Also, did you use VHT engine enamel or flameproof coating?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #717
I used the engine enamel. The flameproof stuff is overkill. I used the black flameproof on my first engine, and the finish came out bad and rough, and I didn't like it at all. I found that the engine enamel stuck a bit better too, and after giving it the clear coat it looked really nice!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #719

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #720
So the more I ride around on my bike, the more ideas I get to make it even better. One thing that I already wanted to do is clean up the wiring in the front, as well as make some better front turn signals.
However, I've been looking at redoing the controls too. One style that keeps catching my eye is the minimalistic approach. I love how simple it looks and also how clean it makes the bike look.
So for now I ride, but come this winter the plan is to do something similar to these handlebars:

57a9010465e870fe83785d593533bc37 (1).jpg

mini02__47468.1405450190.1280.1280.jpg

701 - 720 of 997 Posts