Honda CX 500 Forum banner

681 - 700 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
Looking Good!!
Thanks OCR!! So happy to see the bike finally come together. Feels like it's been so long since I had a complete bike haha.

Reactions: jayseamtl

·
Registered
387 Posts
You know, with as much time as I have to ponder what to do, when it comes time TO do, I sometimes mutter to myself why the hell did I start this mess? It was s nice rider to begin with...

But I digress. My current stream of over thought stems from your great retro tank paint.

I love the 900f paint:

image.jpg

But do that basic thing in grabber blue (ford) and black.

Tomorrow will be different.

You've done good work, Mr. Moto!

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
You know, with as much time as I have to ponder what to do, when it comes time TO do, I sometimes mutter to myself why the hell did I start this mess? It was s nice rider to begin with...

But I digress. My current stream of over thought stems from your great retro tank paint.

I love the 900f paint:

View attachment 23362

But do that basic thing in grabber blue (ford) and black.

Tomorrow will be different.

You've done good work, Mr. Moto!
There have been many times I've wondered the exact same thing haha. Usually when I break something, or I mess up (lot's of thinking to myself "what am I doing?!" while painting the tank).
But once the bike is done and you stand back and look at it, or get on for that first ride, it all seems worth it......well....most of it :p

I am really digging that paint too! Love how it flows from the side covers to the back part and the small red lines on the sides of the larger red line.
The world is your oyster my friend, I am sure you'll get the strength and motivation to keep moving forward and come up with a great design! Just keep that gorgeous vision of the bike in the forefront of your mind!

Thanks for support Farmer John, I am looking forward to seeing your bike complete!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
Bike has been running great! Taken it for a few rides now and just working out the little bugs. Adjusted the chain and checked the valves, need to tune the carbs a bit too as it is running a bit rich.

But yeah, loving the bike a lot! While I was out for a ride I stopped at the park and grabbed a few better pictures.

IMG_10021.jpg

IMG_10029.jpg

IMG_10040.jpg

Will keep you guys updated as the build progresses.

·
Registered
89 Posts
LOL Soper park! A shot by the water would have been the ticket! Great looking bike man and I'm sure she rides like a dream too.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
Nice.
How's the hugger hanging on?
The tire hugger is attached to the bike via two tabs that I welded to the swing arm. The arm had a nice little groove in it where the original metal was fabricated, and it allowed me to place the tabs against it and fill in the gap with a good line of weld. Nothing extremely strong, but enough to hold the hugger in place without worry.

Kind of hard to grab a picture with the tire on there, but hopefully you can see what I mean:

IMG_0062.JPG

And the fasteners I re-used from the bike. I believe they were the bolts that held on the original rear fender. I liked them because they had a smooth head and didn't stick out so much:

IMG_0064.JPG

Reactions: OCR and Volaussie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #688
LOL Soper park! A shot by the water would have been the ticket! Great looking bike man and I'm sure she rides like a dream too.
Hahaha, you have found my secret spot :p
Ooooo I like that idea......guess what my next picture will be of......

Thanks buddy! Hopefully I'll see you around the city sometime!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Micah, the bike looks great! Love some of the details you put into it. Have a few questions, not sure if you addressed them already or not but I'll ask them anyway.

1 - Would you be willing to pre-fab the plate holder? And how much would you charge?

2 - What did you do about the battery box? Made it yourself? If so, what did you attache it to?

3 - How close is the brake pedal to the exhaust? Does it touch? I am seeing this problem currently on my build.

Love the tire hugger and plan to do the same thing. I took out the regular battery and airbox but kept the plate the stuff was on. I plan to put in the hugger so that then I can chug a bag under there when traveling long distances.
Really like the custom fab dash. I was thinking of doing something very similar but kind of gave up on the idea. Think I'm just going to get a temp gauge and leds and just not use a speedo and tach. What do you think? Have you felt like you need the speedo and tach now that you've rode around in it a bit?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dude, I've been following your thread since the beginning and all I can say that all the work you have put in this bike is amazing. The passion and persistence you have put in your bike is an inspiration to many new bike lovers. No mater what other say you just keep going foreword holding to your goal. Not to mention all the info you have given while building this bike. And in the end the bike looks great, everything matches and all the details make the bike outstanding.
This is a great example of how each of us should approach to their builds - passion and love of what you are doing.
Good work Sir!
:hatsoff:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
Micah, the bike looks great! Love some of the details you put into it. Have a few questions, not sure if you addressed them already or not but I'll ask them anyway.

1 - Would you be willing to pre-fab the plate holder? And how much would you charge?

2 - What did you do about the battery box? Made it yourself? If so, what did you attache it to?

3 - How close is the brake pedal to the exhaust? Does it touch? I am seeing this problem currently on my build.

Love the tire hugger and plan to do the same thing. I took out the regular battery and airbox but kept the plate the stuff was on. I plan to put in the hugger so that then I can chug a bag under there when traveling long distances.
Really like the custom fab dash. I was thinking of doing something very similar but kind of gave up on the idea. Think I'm just going to get a temp gauge and leds and just not use a speedo and tach. What do you think? Have you felt like you need the speedo and tach now that you've rode around in it a bit?
Thanks chop88! I'm glad you like the build, it was a pain but glad it's in the final stage now haha.

For the questions:

1. As much as I enjoyed making the plate holder for the bike, I don't know if I would have the patience to make another one lol. There was a lot of little tweaks and modifications to get it to a place that I thought was acceptable. The problem is, what is acceptable for me might not be good enough for others, so if I were to make another one I couldn't guarantee the quality of the final product. The biggest issue I would face though is not having the tools and material to make another one. When I fabricated the holder, I was on my co-op work term and had access to a welder, mill, various materials, etc... but now that I am back in school I do not have access to these machines anymore. So unfortunately I don't think I would be able to make another unit, but what I can do is give you any details, dimensions, pictures and anything else you can think of to hopefully help you out.

2. Yes that is correct, I made the battery box myself. Again, I had access to a welder and materials so I was able to fabricate it before. I used SolidWorks (a 3D modelling software) to design the box, but messed up on the dimensions for the mounting tabs, so when the time came to build it I had to tweak the mounts a bit. For actually mounting the box, I used the original mounts for the H-box that was originally on the bike. There is one long bolt in the front that goes through part of the bottom of the engine case, and two smaller bolts at the back that mount to the frame. If you take a look under your bike you might be able to understand what I mean a bit better. So far the box is holding up well in it's location, but be in mind, it is a pretty tight fit if you use the stock battery size.

3. Funny you should ask haha, I have been meaning to work on that for a while now. The brake pedal does touch in some cases, but there are a couple ways to work around this. The simplest is to adjust the screw that varies the distance the pedal travels upwards. It should be screwed into a little piece on the brake pedal and the head hits a part on the frame which limits the travel. What I have been wanting to do is modify the brake pedal by bending it around the exhaust so it doesn't touch anymore. A lot of people make custom pedals, but if I can use the stock one it makes my life easier.

Definitely a good idea to have something that can hold stuff for long rides, that's one thing my bike is currently lacking and I might look into fixing that in the future.
The custom dash was again a lot of work, but I wanted something that was compact but gave me all the information I needed. Personally, I like having all the gauges on my bike. I could probable live without the tachometer, but like seeing my speed (helps avoid the tickets) and also the temp of the bike (helps avoid frying the engine). I do love the simplistic look of the single gauge that some people do, but like I said, I'd rather have all the information in order to ride the safest I can. Once you get more familiar with your bike you can problem drop the speedo and tach, but for starting out I would recommend keeping them on to get a good idea of how the bike performs.

Hopefully that helps a bit, and sorry again about the plate holder. If you have any other questions make sure to throw them up and I'll do my best to respond :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #692
Dude, I've been following your thread since the beginning and all I can say that all the work you have put in this bike is amazing. The passion and persistence you have put in your bike is an inspiration to many new bike lovers. No mater what other say you just keep going foreword holding to your goal. Not to mention all the info you have given while building this bike. And in the end the bike looks great, everything matches and all the details make the bike outstanding.
This is a great example of how each of us should approach to their builds - passion and love of what you are doing.
Good work Sir!
:hatsoff:
That means a lot coming from you Pluto! Your build is also an inspiration to us all, and I'm glad you've been a part of the journey on mine. I can honestly say that I've got my blood, sweat and tears into this build....it probably has enough of my DNA now to be called family lol :p
The main reason I started the build thread was to spread the passion I had for my bike with all the other people on here who can appreciate all the work that goes into these amazing machines. I never expected it to get so much interest, but am very glad and thankful to everyone who has been with me and helped me along the way!
There are still so many things to be done to the bike, but in a way, that excites me because I love working on it....well, most of the time haha. I feel like no matter how old these bikes get, with the amount of support and great forum members on here, they will forever be timeless machines.
I look forward to all the future builds that will show up on here, and love watching all the current builds as well! Who knows, maybe they will give me inspiration to do another build...... ;)

Reactions: pluto and OCR

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just gorgeous, Micah!
The quilted seat and graceful curve on the tank are brutal and beautiful. I am so happy for you!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #694
Just gorgeous, Micah!
The quilted seat and graceful curve on the tank are brutal and beautiful. I am so happy for you!
Thanks so much! I have had a blast working on every part of the bike. I still really want to strip it all down and powder coat all the parts that I can, just for durability, but funding and time dictate that it won't be happening for a long time to come haha.
I must say that it is nice having everything finally coming together and having a bike that I can be proud of (and ride of course lol).

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #696
I am having way too much fun on this bike haha. I use it as my daily rider to school and back, and take it out on the weekends for rips around the country side. Runs like a top, and isn't too bad on the comfort level. Obviously not as good as the standard bike, but I've ridden for a couple hours without too much discomfort.

The seat is actually very comfy, and I am glad I did not take any padding out; I like it nice and soft the way it is. Still has enough room to fit a small passenger on there which is perfect for my girlfriend.

I'd like to lower down the foot pegs a bit, but with the mufflers the way they are it could be a challenge. We shall see in the future though.

The rear fender/license plate holder is working good. All bolts are holding well, and no visible cracks or defects in the welds which is good.

Tires are working great, along with the bb's used for balancing. No issues there, and the tires are performing very well. I would definitely buy them again!

Love the sound of the pods! I didn't realize what a difference they'd make, but when riding and cranking the throttle you hear the air being sucked into the carbs and it sounds incredible! Bike is slightly laggy below 3k rpm, but everything from then upwards is good. Around 5-6k is when it really pulls though.

Anyways, those are just some thoughts on the bike as I was riding it. If anyone is curious about any other aspect of the bike just let me know!

On the advice of Tanh I decided to go searching for a nice place with a pond or lake to grab some pictures. I found the perfect spot with an old steel bridge and a nice little lake, and I think the pictures turned out alright. I am by no means a photographer, so I am sure many of the other members photos on here will put mine to shame haha. But hopefully you guys enjoy!

IMG_10079.jpg

IMG_10083.jpg

IMG_10103.jpg

IMG_10105.jpg

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #698

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #700
Bike and pics look good Micah! Nice work!
Thanks CxRacer! I didn't think I would have so much fun photographing the bike, but it's kind of cool trying out different things haha. There are a lot of nice spots around me to get pictures so that helps too. I will try not to overload you guys with too many photos though :p

681 - 700 of 997 Posts