Honda CX 500 Forum banner

661 - 680 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #661 (Edited)
Wow, wow, wow Micah!!! Super nice job on the tank, it is superb!
You have found your calling, quit whatever you're studying and pursue this!
Hey thanks Leo! Glad you like it :D
LOL, I don't know if I am that good at it, but glad to see someone has confidence in my work! I think it would be cool to get into custom motorcycles though. I have actually looked around the local area for a shop that is hiring, even just to get the experience of working there. Have to finish my build first, but then I guess I could use it as my résumé haha.

Reactions: OCR and Willys

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #663
Great job on the tank Miacah !
Thanks AWK08! I have put about 10 coats of clear since the last picture was taken. Still have another few coats to do in order to get rid of the step from the tape, and then lots of wet sanding. Won't get to that now until after exams though unfortunately.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm telling you, if I didn't like the shape of the standard tank so much, I'd pop for a custom, just to do something along that line (it'd fit in better with the tracker theme anyway). I don't think that style job would look right on it.

Classic.

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #665
I'm telling you, if I didn't like the shape of the standard tank so much, I'd pop for a custom, just to do something along that line (it'd fit in better with the tracker theme anyway). I don't think that style job would look right on it.

Classic.
Yeah I always thought the custom tank looked a lot better than the deluxe, but after looking through many of the amazing builds on here that utilize that tank, I must say that it does have it's own unique and cool style to it.
The tear-drop shape of the custom tank is definitely more of the classic look, and I find that it fits the lines of the bike really nice. That being said, having to fill up every 125 km gets old really fast haha.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #666
It's been a while, so I believe an update is long overdue.
Not much has been going on with the bike due to exams, but now that they are done and over with I can get back at it!

I spent about 3 hours tonight sanding down the tank with 1000 grit paper to get the bump out of the clear coat and I still have a lot more to go. Once I am sure that the paint is nice and even all the way around I will coat it in the 2K clear coat, then a final wet-sanding with 2000 grit paper and lastly some polishing compound.

Slowly getting her done:

IMG_9945.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #668
Yeah it is! And it's worse because I accidentally sanded too much lol. Went through the black a tiny bit right on the top of the tank.....I was not pleased when I realized what I had done :mad:
So I did a little repair job and hopefully will be able to blend it after doing the top coat of 2K clear. I was soooooo close to not messing up too <_<
I don't have the time and money to redo the whole tank so I will have to live with my mistake. Oh well, just gives the build more character I guess hahaha

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yeah it is! And it's worse because I accidentally sanded too much lol. Went through the black a tiny bit right on the top of the tank.....I was not pleased when I realized what I had done :mad:
So I did a little repair job and hopefully will be able to blend it after doing the top coat of 2K clear. I was soooooo close to not messing up too <_<
I don't have the time and money to redo the whole tank so I will have to live with my mistake. Oh well, just gives the build more character I guess hahaha
That would leave a bruise with me for sure as I'm certain I have OCD :D Funny thing, after I did my final clear coat on mine, I dropped the tank not once but twice! I think that's why I ended up dumping so much on clear and primer. :/ Still etched in my head till this day, but in reality these things happen and like you said, build character.;)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #670
That would leave a bruise with me for sure as I'm certain I have OCD :D Funny thing, after I did my final clear coat on mine, I dropped the tank not once but twice! I think that's why I ended up dumping so much on clear and primer. :/ Still etched in my head till this day, but in reality these things happen and like you said, build character.;)
Yeah I'm still kicking myself over it now. I think its a law of nature that for every two parts of the bike I touch, I will mess up on at least one lol.
Oh wow! Just watch me do that too once I get it all wet-sanded and polished haha. I made the mistake of getting brake fluid on the old paint and that stuff eats away the paint like it's nothing. I guess for every dumb mistake we make, we learn to not do the same mistake twice.....or in my case, I learn after the 10th time I've made the mistake lol.

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hahaha I thought of character too. It shows you did it yourself.
You should've bought two bikes. One to let explode and the other to make it in showroom state!

I had a Yamaha scooter 10 years ago. Spent ages wet sanding all of the fairings, in a cold shed without heating, in the winter so my father could spray it. I let it dry and harden two days before I went over to my grandma. There the local baker had the sun in his mirror, didn't see it and drove into it!!

sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #672
Hahaha I thought of character too. It shows you did it yourself.
You should've bought two bikes. One to let explode and the other to make it in showroom state!

I had a Yamaha scooter 10 years ago. Spent ages wet sanding all of the fairings, in a cold shed without heating, in the winter so my father could spray it. I let it dry and harden two days before I went over to my grandma. There the local baker had the sun in his mirror, didn't see it and drove into it!!

sent via Tapatalk
Exactly!
LOL I really like that idea, except one is already eating up all my time and I think I might go mad if I had to get one looking perfect :p

Aw man that sucks! I would have a hard time controlling my anger if that happened to me haha.
If this tank doesn't turn out I will do one of two things; Cry....or throw the tank against the wall lol.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #673
Painting this tank is taking forever. I have fixed the mistake and will hopefully get it cleared in the 2k tomorrow though.

I tried fixing the spot by lightly sanding the area around it and respraying the whole thing, but for some reason the paint had a slight reaction where the clear was sanded down to the base coat, and I couldn't get it to go away:

IMG_9952.JPG

So I ended up sanding down the entire right section of black and respraying it with primer then a new base coat. This seemed to work good and now I am almost done with the tank:

IMG_9976.JPG

IMG_9977.JPG

While the paint was drying, I set about changing the ignition switch in the bike. I hooked the new unit up and then ran into a problem; The rear lights wouldn't work, and when I put it into park, the main fuse blew. Luckily that's all that blew though!
I did some researching and found out that I must have gotten the wrong ignition switch (maybe from a later model CX500). Rather than go through the hassle of returning the switch, I decided to combine the new and old switches into something that would work. I took off the bottom portions of both switches (this is the part that has all the connectors and contacts), cleaned all the contacts from the old portion and stuck them into the new ignition switch body. It's not a 100% perfect match (the balls that help select the modes are different sizes) but it does work now and should be fine. No more weird glitches, and the key stays in place!

IMG_9978.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #674
Making slow progress on the tank. Seems like there is always another mistake to fix somewhere.

Anyways, I was able to put a few coats of the 2k clear on, and I must say, that stuff works great! Went on very nicely and gives a nice hard and durable finish. I will be using it for the top coat of any project from now on!

Nice and shiny now:

IMG_9985.JPG

IMG_9986.JPG

Now I am just working on doing a final wet-sanding of the tank to get rid of the orange peel effect. I got it done and then started to wipe it down with polishing compound, but noticed a few scratches so I had to go back and fix those.

Polishing out the wet-sanding marks:

IMG_9995.JPG

All done the gas-cap and latch:

IMG_9993.JPG

Hopefully I'll get the tank done tomorrow and then, after I do a few more checks to the bike, I might be able to go for the first ride of the season!
First few rides will be a shakedown to make sure everything still works good and if any changes are needed though. I will also have to do a bit of tuning to see how it runs with the pods installed now.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #675 (Edited)
I wonder if you guys are getting tired of tank pictures yet lol :p

Anyways, I was finally able to button up the tank today. After using the polishing compound, I wiped it down with this stage 1 buffing compound which was good enough for me.
Then, for good measure, I waxed it lightly:

IMG_9996.JPG

And voila, the final product in all its imperfect glory lol. It is more glossy than the photos show and I realize that I could spend way more time polishing and buffing and fixing this and that, but at the end of the day it's good enough for me and is something I am quite proud of. The biggest thing that I'm annoyed with, is the cheaper duplicolor clear-coat that I used to even out the initial bump in the lines, turned my silver lines slightly yellow. Now they appear almost gold in certain lights. If I had my time back, I would've paid the extra money and got two cans of the 2k clear and just used that. Didn't notice any yellowing from it. Anyways, nothing I can't live with, as I would probably do more harm if I tried to fix it. I figure it's an old bike, and the yellowing fits in perfectly with it hahaha.

IMG_10002.JPG

IMG_10008.JPG

IMG_10004.JPG

And finally, I was able to mount it on the bike to see how the whole thing looked together. It's too bad that it was a gloomy and rainy day, as I wasn't able to get the best of pictures, or go riding afterwards :( but hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better!

IMG_10018.JPG

IMG_10017.JPG

IMG_10016.JPG

IMG_10015.JPG

IMG_10014.JPG

Just because the bike is now road-worthy, doesn't mean the build is done though. There is still a ton of things I would like to do to the bike, firstly changing out the brake lines to SS, buying some new Mikuni Carbs, redoing a lot of the electrical work to make it neater, purchase some standard comstar rims and more aggresive rubber, etc.. the list goes on and on. So what I am saying is that this build is far from over ;)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Nothing wrong with being a perfectionist ;D. The tank looks great Micah and even better with it on the bike. Give yourself a slap on the back! All the other stuff will come and the more riding you do, the more inspiration you'll get to do all the other stuff. As well as get you those "Comstars" ;).

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #677
Nothing wrong with being a perfectionist ;D. The tank looks great Micah and even better with it on the bike. Give yourself a slap on the back! All the other stuff will come and the more riding you do, the more inspiration you'll get to do all the other stuff. As well as get you those "Comstars" ;).
Lol, true, except when it starts to dig up all your free time :p
Thanks again for all the kind words and support Karl, it means a lot that you guys are so open to everyone's designs and ideas!
Exactly, you have a good point! Just as long as those "inspirations" don't eat up my wallet too much hahah :D

Reactions: OCR

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Looking excellent!

And yes, the Duplicolor clear turns silver a greeny/goldy colour. Which is why my hasty painted tank is a greeny/goldy colour. With crackles because it was really too cold to paint and I was in a hurry. I actually do know how to paint, but I don't usually have the patience. Which is why everything I paint tends to have a good side and a not-so-good side. With my tank, I just rolled with it, because I'd rather ride than polish, and now I'm trying to replicate my accidental effect elsewhere but now it's too warm. Meh, I started painting this bike 5 years ago; it'll get done when it gets done.

Be good to see your creation live and in colour. I believe there's a few events in the area this year...

Reactions: Motomicah and OCR

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #680
Looking excellent!

And yes, the Duplicolor clear turns silver a greeny/goldy colour. Which is why my hasty painted tank is a greeny/goldy colour. With crackles because it was really too cold to paint and I was in a hurry. I actually do know how to paint, but I don't usually have the patience. Which is why everything I paint tends to have a good side and a not-so-good side. With my tank, I just rolled with it, because I'd rather ride than polish, and now I'm trying to replicate my accidental effect elsewhere but now it's too warm. Meh, I started painting this bike 5 years ago; it'll get done when it gets done.

Be good to see your creation live and in colour. I believe there's a few events in the area this year...
Thanks Sam!

Bummer, I wish I had known beforehand, but I guess I will remember it for next time now. Well, your tank has it's own "character" too now :D Sometimes the best results come from the worst mistakes. It sounds like your tank is actually pretty cool and unique!
I hear you about the patience though, I tend to have at least one fingerprint in all my paint jobs because I can't keep my hands off before it dries lol.
Agreed! Down with the polishing and buffing. Up with the riding and enjoying the bike!

Yeah I really hope I can make it out to some of them this year now that I have a good running bike! I will keep my eyes open on the forum here for dates and locations, and hopefully something pops up on a day that I have free. I'm not big on going long distances, especially on the 401, but hopefully something shows up that I can make it to. Would really be great to come out and meet some of the fantastic guys on this forum in person! And see all the bikes of course!

661 - 680 of 997 Posts