Honda CX 500 Forum banner

601 - 620 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #601
You need to buy a body hammer like one of these.....to use when forming simple bends etc in your metal......there will be much less beating and grinding and filling ....just saying...

I knowwwwwww, but it's just so much fun doing all the extra work using the wrong tools :p
In all seriousness though, I do agree, the right tools would make life a lot easier. I just can't justify spending the money on something I am only going to use once or twice.
Once I get my own house and garage with my own tools I will probably change my tune, but for now I will try and get by with the tools my dad has.

That will probably be one of the first things I buy though, because it looks handy!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #602
You did an excellent job without the tools. The bends hugging the tank are perfect also. What gauge steel did you use BTW? I really, really like the direction you took of the pan as you'll now be seated much lower to the ground. I may have to revise mine somehow but it's already being reupholstered. :(
Thanks! I think it turned out alright too. I asked the upholstery guy to smooth out the front a bit with the foam just so there isn't such a deep dive in the seat. That should hopefully get it to match the lines of the tank pretty good.
It's actually 1/8" aluminum plate. Whatever type of aluminum it is though, it is a pain to bend! We have a small break at our house, and it wasn't able to bend it, so I literally formed it by stepping on one side and pulling up on the other side with my hands. Lots of time wasted there lol.

True, and the way it sits on the frame is actually really comfy. I sat on the bare seat for a bit and it actually felt really nice surprisingly.
Is your covering removable? That would be handy because you could shave some of the foam off if need be. Or you wait until next year and make another seat :p

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #604
This Instrument Cluster set up ins awesome home you don't mind if i rob a few idea's. :)
Thanks Limhorse1! By all means, rob away lol :p I'm glad you can use it for inspiration! If you need any more details let me know and I will try my best to help you out!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #605
Quick update on the build, I was able to pick up the tires and also drop off my seat pan with Bill from Gold Star Upholstery here in Cambridge.
He seems to be very nice and was very helpful with choosing out the fabric and thread color. Should be about a week or so before he gets to it, so until then, we wait!
In the meantime I have to work on school assignments, but hopefully Saturday I will be able to mount the new rubber on the rims!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks Limhorse1! By all means, rob away lol :p I'm glad you can use it for inspiration! If you need any more details let me know and I will try my best to help you out!
Thanks a million mines slow going at the moment but it'll get there someday just when your on about the welding an inch of weld with a 2.5 welding rod will hold a ton but if you use a low hydrogen rod 7016's it's over double that if it's any use at any stage

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #607
Thanks a million mines slow going at the moment but it'll get there someday just when your on about the welding an inch of weld with a 2.5 welding rod will hold a ton but if you use a low hydrogen rod 7016's it's over double that if it's any use at any stage
Can't say I know enough about welding to fully understand what you mean, but it sounds like you know what your're talking about! I will have to remember that in the future if I need to make another weld (which more than likely will occur).
I will do some more research on that low hydrogen rod, I am curious to learn more about it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ya I'm a fitter/welder by trade it's just when you were on about having the strength in the brackets for the instruments a low hydrogen rod will give you way more strength used a lot in quarries and mining were there would be extra pressure on the metal down to fatigue still reading your thread man it's impressive love what you've done with the rear indicators as well only half way through looking forward to the other little surprises I find before finishing reading.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Is your covering removable? That would be handy because you could shave some of the foam off if need be. Or you wait until next year and make another seat :p
Ha! Unsure I even want to tackle another build for a while man. Next bike ideally will not be from complete scratch. One's good for me ;) I guess it's removable as it will be stapled to wood, but kept contemplating industrial strength Velcro instead. Probably too late at this point, but can easily be removed and re-stapled if need be.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #610
Ya I'm a fitter/welder by trade it's just when you were on about having the strength in the brackets for the instruments a low hydrogen rod will give you way more strength used a lot in quarries and mining were there would be extra pressure on the metal down to fatigue still reading your thread man it's impressive love what you've done with the rear indicators as well only half way through looking forward to the other little surprises I find before finishing reading.
Now it all makes sense lol. I wish I had know that before, it would've helped out for sure!
Thanks for the kind words, it's definitely been a labor of love. I am very pleased with how they turned out too!

Those little surprises are usually the things that take the longest to do haha. But I enjoy it, because even though they take lots of time, they're also the parts that distinguish the bike from anyone else's.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #611
Ha! Unsure I even want to tackle another build for a while man. Next bike ideally will not be from complete scratch. One's good for me ;) I guess it's removable as it will be stapled to wood, but kept contemplating industrial strength Velcro instead. Probably too late at this point, but can easily be removed and re-stapled if need be.
What?! You need to keep adding to that list in your signature. I believe you could fit a 78' model in there, a 81' model and even an 82 model. Not to mention the turbo variants and also the cx650.....see, the sky's the limit :p
I know what you mean though, trying to keep one bike alive and running is enough for me too lol.

Oh that's good, at least you have the option to modify it afterwards. Sounds like my seat covering will be put on using industrial glue so there is no chance of easy removal and installation without damaging the cover. Staples are nice though as long as you don't make too many changes to the seat, at which point the material would start to look like Swiss cheese on the bottom haha.

Reactions: chocolatelvis

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #612
So after spending all day changing the tires on the bike I can safely say that I do not like changing tires lol <_< too much work without the proper tools. Next time I will probably just get them changed at a shop.

The tires I picked up are the Shinko 230's which upon closer inspection looked like very nice tires for the price (Approx $225 for the set from Royal Distributing). They have fairly deep grooves which leads me to think that the life will hopefully be good.
I have to agree with Cxracer now, the look of the tire is pretty nice!

IMG_9831.JPG

The rubber that was currently on the bike was pretty old and dried out which made trying to take it off the rim a real pain. But with the help of a hacksaw and dremel I was able to make some relief cuts in order to get it off.
I changed out the valve stem on the rear tire because it was toast and I also made sure to clean up the rims before mounting the new tires on them.

The front rim ready for cleaning:

IMG_9830.JPG

and the rear:

IMG_9834.JPG

And after mounting them, touching up the paint on the rims, and putting them back on the bike. Love the look of new rubber! Can't wait to try them out!

IMG_9835.JPG

IMG_9836.JPG

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Looking good, can hardly wait to see it with the seat on it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #614
Looking good, can hardly wait to see it with the seat on it.
Thanks OCR! I can't wait either! Hopefully I'll have it back before the end of the week.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So after spending all day changing the tires on the bike I can safely say that I do not like changing tires lol <_< too much work without the proper tools.
Ahahah! I know what you mean I spend the better part of sunday trying to install mine too. Next time I'll just bring it to a shop, it was a real pain in the ass...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #617
Ahahah! I know what you mean I spent the better part of Sunday trying to install mine too. Next time I'll just bring them to a shop, it was a real pain in the ass...
I agree 100%!

i am the shop i have the fancy tire changer and its still a pain in the ass
LOL, I guess life just doesn't give us any "brakes" when it comes to wheels.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #618
So the past couple days I have been picking up the various painting supplies in order to paint the tank.
I might have to get more cans of paint depending on the coverage, but this should be a good starting point for me to be able to do some testing.
I also picked up some paint stripper in order to get rid of the many layers of old paint that are on the tank.
All the paints and supplies were picked up from Napa Auto and Canadian Tire.

IMG_9851.JPG

I don't know when I will be able to actually paint the tank though as I have final exams coming up soon and the work load tends to pick up around this time.
I might strip the tank and at least put the primer on relatively soon though and also set about cleaning the inside of the tank.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Im curious to see the result. Is it going to be your first time painting a tank?

I was thinking of getting mine done professionally but I might change my mind based on your result and your thoughts on the process. After all I could give it a try and if I mess up get it redone.

Also, why 2 different type of clear?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #620
Im curious to see the result. Is it going to be your first time painting a tank?

I was thinking of getting mine done professionally but I might change my mind based on your result and your thoughts on the process. After all I could give it a try and if I mess up get it redone.

Also, why 2 different type of clear?
Me too! I've painted the tank with the current paint you see on there, but it was just a solid color (metallic black). This will be one of the first times I get to do an actual design on the tank. Hopefully it all goes well!

Yeah I wondered about that too, but I figured I could get good results at half the price. Plus I think it would be cool to say that I painted the tank all by myself :p

That's a good question! The smaller Dupli-color one is to smooth out the surface after I make my design and take off the masking tape. Normally there would be an edge where the paint is different thicknesses and this will just help to even it out a bit before any other coats of paint. Then the larger can is a 2k clear coat. This is actually a two-part paint that is used on more professional jobs. There is a little canister within the can and you puncture it and shake the can to mix the hardener and paint before spraying. Then you have about 24 hours to use it up. The main benefits of this paint is it has a really good gloss and chemical/gas resistance. If you were to use the dupli-color clear as the final top coat, any gas that gets on it turns it cloudy (it's what I have on my tank now and I don't like it). You can buff it out, but it takes a lot of time and effort. So I wanted to try this 2k paint as everyone who has used it says they love how it goes on and performs.
Beware though, it is VERY toxic as it contains much harsher chemicals than the other spray cans, so a mask and gloves is a MUST!

601 - 620 of 997 Posts