Honda CX 500 Forum banner

581 - 600 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
Here's a couple of ideas:

Randall's mention of matte paint and chalk gave me another idea: if you are worried about getting a clean fluid line on the oddly-shaped tank, you could try using an actual fluid line. You could dust the entire tank with a fine powder like chalk or flour, and carefully dip it in a pan of water. That would leave a visible waterline that you could follow, and reproduce on the other side.

I knew I could count on you to feed the creative process!

I like the single strip but am a bit apprehensive to do it as forum member Dragonclaw recently painted his bike with a single red stripe (albeit slightly different looking) and I wouldn't want to steal his thunder from that. I do like the red outline around the tank though........

But wow, that is genius!!! I love that idea because you'd get a perfect straight line no matter what the tank is shaped like. If i have some version of the stripes I will have to try that for sure!

Thanks for the great help!!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If I had to choose one of the two you're suggesting, I too would probably chose the second, but this option also open in the case you're in a limited direction. Just a reminder the design can also be unsymmetrical as well. This is just a quick pic I searched out to help visualize what I'm talking about. Forget the colours and logo though I personally dig the colours myself (on a completely different bike though). Again just trying to interpret what I mean.

Either way, I'm sure the end result will be flattering. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
If I had to choose one of the two you're suggesting, I too would probably chose the second, but this option also open in the case you're in a limited direction. Just a reminder the design can also be unsymmetrical as well. This is just a quick pic I searched out to help visualize what I'm talking about. Forget the colours and logo though I personally dig the colours myself (on a completely different bike though). Again just trying to interpret what I mean.

Either way, I'm sure the end result will be flattering. :)
Very good point! I am fully open to ideas no matter what they are. You're right though, it's easy to become narrow minded towards one design especially if it's on the mind a lot.
Hmmmm I never really thought about that option before. I like it because it is different and will stand out a bit more than the symmetrical stripes. It fits perfectly with that tank in the picture as the gas cap is off to the side too.
I dig those colors too, reminds me of Wayne Gretzky's Ford GT.
I might have to make a few mock-ups with unsymmetrical designs now.

Let's hope so! It will be a good chance for me to put my painting skills to the test (or lack of skills rather)

Reactions: chocolatelvis

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Very good point! I am fully open to ideas no matter what they are. You're right though, it's easy to become narrow minded towards one design especially if it's on the mind a lot.
Hmmmm I never really thought about that option before. I like it because it is different and will stand out a bit more than the symmetrical stripes. It fits perfectly with that tank in the picture as the gas cap is off to the side too.
I dig those colors too, reminds me of Wayne Gretzky's Ford GT.
I might have to make a few mock-ups with unsymmetrical designs now.

Let's hope so! It will be a good chance for me to put my painting skills to the test (or lack of skills rather)
Reminds me if the Gulf racing colours. :D But yes, more options are always better than just one. Last idea before you chose your design. Once you've come close to your final design decision, could be as Randal mentioned and matte it, better yet, you're going to be priming it 1st, so even a grey first coat of prime as a base to work around, but if you want to see it as close to reality, coloured vinyl wrap could be cut and applied to your tank to really see how it contours and if your final decision is what you want before all the work of choosing a colour, prime, paint, wet sand, etc, that looks great on a screen, or program, but more real when applied on your tank. Inexpensive and easy to find loads of different tone reds if that's what you're after Micah. I think Moto-X or sport bike places would be the best selection. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
You are terrifyingly welcome Micah!
I really like Elvis' suggestion of asymmetry. The different widths of stripe has an elegance that works very well on these older bikes. On some bikeblog recently there was an early Harley that Steve McQueen had owned, and the story goes that he had wanted to paint it red. He had a friend over, they got drunk and painted the motorcycle with a brush or two, and never finished the left side of the tank. Ah, I found it. Here.
It's just about the most rock and roll thing ever.

Using the flour-waterline technique, (which by the way OF COURSE includes keeping water out of the tank) you could do all sorts of interesting things:

Just a quick and messy Photoshop job, but you get the idea. Get odd!

BTW, us rebuilders of old motorcycles face a monster that I haven't seen much of since my early days playing Dungeons and Dragons: The Rust Monster.
It was a scavenger with the power to rust away armor and weaponry with its oxidizing feelers.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #586
Reminds me if the Gulf racing colours. :D But yes, more options are always better than just one. Last idea before you chose your design. Once you've come close to your final design decision, could be as Randal mentioned and matte it, better yet, you're going to be priming it 1st, so even a grey first coat of prime as a base to work around, but if you want to see it as close to reality, coloured vinyl wrap could be cut and applied to your tank to really see how it contours and if your final decision is what you want before all the work of choosing a colour, prime, paint, wet sand, etc, that looks great on a screen, or program, but more real when applied on your tank. Inexpensive and easy to find loads of different tone reds if that's what you're after Micah. I think Moto-X or sport bike places would be the best selection. :)
True lol, that's a much better comparison :p
Oh yeah that's really smart thinking with the vinyl wrap! That way I will have a bit larger sections to work with and I can remove and re-stick it a lot easier. I will definitely be mocking a few designs up on the bike now to get a good idea of what fits the contours of the tank. I will have to look around Cambridge, I'm sure there are some places around here that have cheap vinyl. Thanks for all the great tips Chocolatelvis!! :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
I really like Elvis' suggestion of asymmetry. The different widths of stripe has an elegance that works very well on these older bikes. On some bikeblog recently there was an early Harley that Steve McQueen had owned, and the story goes that he had wanted to paint it red. He had a friend over, they got drunk and painted the motorcycle with a brush or two, and never finished the left side of the tank. Ah, I found it. Here.

Using the flour-waterline technique, (which by the way OF COURSE includes keeping water out of the tank) you could do all sorts of interesting things:

Just a quick and messy Photoshop job, but you get the idea. Get odd!

BTW, us rebuilders of old motorcycles face a monster that I haven't seen much of since my early days playing Dungeons and Dragons: The Rust Monster.
It was a scavenger with the power to rust away armor and weaponry with its oxidizing feelers.
LOL, that's an awesome story! You raise a good point about the unsymmetrical look....it's unique and different and has as lot of character to it! I think in this case though I'd like to paint the whole tank not just half :p

Man I wish I had your design skills haha. That's a great looking design! I actually really like how it looks with the diagonal line going across the tank. Don't be surprised if I straight up copy your designs lol.
I will have to give that one a go too with the vinyl and see how it fits to the curves of the bike!

That's a very real monster LOL! So far he hasn't reared his head too much, but I will definitely have to keep an eye out for him!
Speaking of rust monsters, I should probably clean my tank out when I get it stripped down. From what I heard, letting vinegar soak in the tank helps to push him away, but after you remove the vinegar you have to be quick and put on a cloak of gas and oil in order to keep him away.

Reactions: chaetophile

·
Registered
252 Posts
I once witnessed a friend stick on a big vinyl sheet on his scooter. He soaped in the fairing with a dish soap and water mix before sticking it on so he could slide it into position. Them he let it dry up for a day or two and then it stayed in place.
I'm not sure if he used a hair dyer (not a paint burner) to quicken the process.

sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Never knew about the Steve McQueen story. That's fantastic! Great photos in the article as well!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
I once witnessed a friend stick on a big vinyl sheet on his scooter. He soaped in the fairing with a dish soap and water mix before sticking it on so he could slide it into position. Them he let it dry up for a day or two and then it stayed in place.
I'm not sure if he used a hair dyer (not a paint burner) to quicken the process.

sent via Tapatalk
Oh yeah that's smart! I seem to remember hearing about someone else who did that. Very cool idea though. Just like a water-slide decal then but way more durable!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #591
Ok, lets get some more updates rolling.
School has been ridiculous the past couple weeks so it has been very slow going on the seat pan, but I am almost done so I should be able to ride soon!

First step was to mock-up the seat using cardboard:

IMG_9764.JPG

Then trace and cut it out from the aluminum plate:

IMG_9780.JPG

This stuff was a pain to bend! I was able to get a decent shape though to match the frame of the bike:

IMG_9781.JPG

Next it was just a matter of hammering down the front sections to get it to wrap around the tank mounting bolt:

IMG_9804.JPG

A little bit of sanding and grinding to get a good fit and voila, a seat pan:

IMG_9806.JPG

Not too shabby if I do say so myself:

IMG_9808.JPG

IMG_9809.JPG

Next step is to make a way to mount it. I am about halfway through getting that done and will hopefully get it finished before Monday so I can get it sent off to the upholsterer to become a real seat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm sorry, but I'm stealing the design of the rear of your bike it's just to awesome.

·
Registered
160 Posts
looking at your tank painting ideas - you could always try dip painting - if your going to be using waterlines anyways, but with just a solid colour (or two) ...

have a look at this youtube video - (jump to the 4:00 minute mark when you get tired of them adding paint to the water) ... pretty cool technique I think

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #595
Ya know, I kinda like that little bit of green with the black and red.

R
It definitely does look different! Not sure if I would like it long term though lol.
Funny you mentioned it though, because my classmate was just saying the other day that a green spoiler on my navy car would look interesting.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
I'm sorry, but I'm stealing the design of the rear of your bike it's just to awesome.
LOL by all means go ahead :p I'd consider it a great compliment! You'll be surprised how different you can make it though, and I guarantee you will find many ways to tweak it slightly to suit your style.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #597
looking at your tank painting ideas - you could always try dip painting - if your going to be using waterlines anyways, but with just a solid colour (or two) ...

have a look at this youtube video - (jump to the 4:00 minute mark when you get tired of them adding paint to the water) ... pretty cool technique I think
Oh yeah I think I've seen a similar video before. It really is incredible! I feel like it would be really easy to mess up though lol. It would look pretty sick with a red and black paint though.
Along the same lines, I have a plan for what the red parts on the tank will look like. Hint: it isn't solid red........

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #598 (Edited)
I was able to finish up the seat pan tonight luckily. Which means I can bring it to the upholstery shop tomorrow and get them working on it.

I've seen a few different ways of mounting custom seats to bikes, but when I visited Kameron to pick up the new engine last year, I was able to look at his bike (which is gorgeous!) and liked the idea he had for mounting his seat.
I forget the details, but it was a simple setup where the seat pressed into the frame via pegs on the bottom of the seat (at least that's what I thought it was). So I decided to go with a similar setup.

First thing to do was make myself some pegs. I cut four pieces (2 longer for the back and 2 short for the front) and drilled holes through some some 3/8" aluminum round stock I had leftover. I then tapped the holes in order to fit some round head screws.
I also made 4 rubber grommets that would fit into the holes in the frame. These help keep the seat in place firmly and also help absorb some of the vibration to give a bit more comfy rider. The back holes were large enough already, but the front holes had to be enlarged a bit in order to fit the grommet and pegs.

The pegs and one grommet:

IMG_9768.JPG

Grommets placed in the frame and pegs pushed in the grommets:

IMG_9812.JPG

Then I drilled holes in the seat pan and mounted the pegs to it. I used red Loctite to keep them from coming loose.

The final seat pan:

IMG_9814.JPG

IMG_9815.JPG

IMG_9818.JPG

It should be noted, the pegs are not what is supporting the seat pan, but rather are used to stop it from coming off or sliding around. The pan sits on the frame all the way around which gives the seat the actual support.

·
Registered
853 Posts
You need to buy a body hammer like one of these.....to use when forming simple bends etc in your metal......there will be much less beating and grinding and filling ....just saying...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You did an excellent job without the tools. The bends hugging the tank are perfect also. What gauge steel did you use BTW? I really, really like the direction you took of the pan as you'll now be seated much lower to the ground. I may have to revise mine somehow but it's already being reupholstered. :(

581 - 600 of 997 Posts