Honda CX 500 Forum banner

561 - 580 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
I finally picked up a bike lock. I needed one before, but now after all the modifications I've made to my bike I don't really want anyone taking my bike.
If anything it is more of a deterrent and will hopefully sway criminals to at least stay away from my bike. I wanted something small that I could carry around with me and that's why I was looking into disc locks.

Most of them have a pin that pushes through the holes in the rotor, which was no good for me because I do not have drilled rotors. I could drill them, but don't have the time and resources to do it right now.
But I was searching the other day and I found a Masker Lock one that had a little over 2" clearance between the pin and edge of the lock which was perfect because that actually fits around the whole rotor.

For long storage periods I will put a chain on the bike, but for when I am just running out and about this will add a little bit of protection for the bike.

IMG_9786.JPG

IMG_9787.JPG

Reactions: OCR and Volaussie

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's a cute lock :)
Last month I bought a Abus Granite lock with discount at the annual motor fare. Also small and a tough nut to crack.
uploadfromtaptalk1426624229797.jpg
I'm going to make hinges on one side of my seat so I can store it under my bum.

sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Thanks! Yours looks nice and strong too! I was thinking of doing something similar on my bike too. Just so I don't have to carry it around in my backpack every time I go out.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just mount a flat bar under your seat for it to clamp to.....simple.

·
Registered
853 Posts
You will only forget once to remove it.....some of us learn the hard way.....just leaves a chip in the paint....lol....and a sudden stopping motion....but I do love them!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #566
Just mount a flat bar under your seat for it to clamp to.....simple.
You will only forget once to remove it.....some of us learn the hard way.....just leaves a chip in the paint....lol....and a sudden stopping motion....but I do love them!
Yeah I was thinking something along those lines. I'd want it nice and tucked away so that you can't see it in most cases, but I'm thinking I might be able to fit it behind the regulator under the seat.

And yeah I have a bad feeling that I will do that at least once haha. Thank goodness for that handy little reminder cord.....let's just hope it does it's job haha.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Is your build finished yet? Almost riding season - ok for some it may already be riding season - I'm still waiting for a good rain to wash all the road salt away.
Should be time for pictures of the finished build - no?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
Is your build finished yet? Almost riding season - ok for some it may already be riding season - I'm still waiting for a good rain to wash all the road salt away.
Should be time for pictures of the finished build - no?
Almost.....hopefully lol. I just need to finish up the seat and then I can at least start riding. Painting the tank will be the next step but when I do that will depend on how busy school is.
Currently I have so many assignments and projects that I don't have time to work on the bike at all, but hopefully next week I can finish the seat and get it sent to the upholster.

Yeah I've seen a few guys riding, but I'm like you and want to wait until all the crud is off the road.

Pictures will be coming soon ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
When I bought the lock I was told that I needed one of minimal that class or my bike wouldn't even be insured! The insurance didn't tell me that!

sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #570
When I bought the lock I was told that I needed one of minimal that class or my bike wouldn't even be insured! The insurance didn't tell me that!

sent via Tapatalk
Oh wow really?! That is actually kind of smart to have it be a requirement, just to keep the overall theft down. Would be nice if they told you beforehand though lol.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #571
Speaking of painting......
I am still trying to decide on a design that I like. I know the main colors I want, it's now just a matter of choosing a design I like.
I think something a bit more classic will look good on the bike. I have mixed feelings about going with racing stripes. I love how they look, but I feel like they've been done a lot already.
These are the colors I would go with if I did decide to do them though. Red stripes, silver edging and black base:

Tank 4.png

I thought it would be cool to do a mixture of the stripes and a bit more modern design though, which is why I came up with this one:

Tank 1.png

However, upon closer inspection of the tank, I am worried that the red sections going down the sides of the tank will not look good due to the fact that the custom tank is not fully teardrop shaped, but rather more square and has sharper edges on the sides. This means it will be difficult to get a smooth side piece that flows nicely.

And this is where I am stuck at. I know a lot of guys like keeping their paint jobs a secret until they finish them, but at this point in time I think it is wiser for me to enlist the help of you guys to give me some ideas for tank designs.
So if you have any ideas feel free to post them up!

The main constraints that I would like to stick with is a black base coat covering the majority of the tank, about 20-30% red, and then some silver trim somewhere just to break it all up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's your bike. Do what you want and don't worry about what others may think.
That's why my car project didn't belong to me anymore, stranded and I sold it.

sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I kinda like the second one, it has a nice flow to it.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
I like the second one, too.

You might try mocking it up right on the tank. Give it a quick spray of cheap matte black from a rattle can, then draw your stripes on with chalk. You'll be able to see it from all angles and edit as you need to. Then take lots of pics, strip it all off, and do the real thing.

R

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here's a couple of ideas:

Randall's mention of matte paint and chalk gave me another idea: if you are worried about getting a clean fluid line on the oddly-shaped tank, you could try using an actual fluid line. You could dust the entire tank with a fine powder like chalk or flour, and carefully dip it in a pan of water. That would leave a visible waterline that you could follow, and reproduce on the other side.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #577
It's your bike. Do what you want and don't worry about what others may think.
That's why my car project didn't belong to me anymore, stranded and I sold it.

sent via Tapatalk
Oh of course. I am just not 100% sure what I even want yet that's why I was throwing ideas around :p

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #578
I kinda like the second one, it has a nice flow to it.
Yeah I am leaning towards that one too. I agree, it seems to flow and match the rest of the bike pretty good.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #579
I like the second one, too.

You might try mocking it up right on the tank. Give it a quick spray of cheap matte black from a rattle can, then draw your stripes on with chalk. You'll be able to see it from all angles and edit as you need to. Then take lots of pics, strip it all off, and do the real thing.

R
Sounds like the second one is in the lead!

Oh yeah that's a great idea! I can't believe I didn't think of something so simple as mocking it up lol. Rather than go through the hassle of painting and removing the paint I should be able to get the main idea using tape to simulate the paint though. Hopefully save a bit of time and money.
But thanks for the great idea!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #580
I prefer the second one.
This is really coming along great, I'll have to do a re-read through to catch up and see what I can steal from you :D
That's three votes for the second one now!
Thanks Christopher! LOL I would consider it an honor :p

561 - 580 of 997 Posts