Honda CX 500 Forum banner

541 - 560 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
My tank is done already, I have a few smaller things to finish plus the exhausts then I should be ready to start her up.....but there is no rush, we still have 10" of snow sitting on the ground up here.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #542
Thanks... Always nice to have someone take one for the team
Lol no problem, lets just hope it isn't $125 waste haha.

By the looks of their Facebook page the quality look very nice. Hopefully they do a good job for you guys!
Yeah hopefully! Usually smaller companies like that are pretty good at making sure you get what you want and the guy that I talked to before sounded like he knew what he was doing.

My tank is done already, I have a few smaller things to finish plus the exhausts then I should be ready to start her up.....but there is no rush, we still have 10" of snow sitting on the ground up here.
Oh nice! lol soon though.....very soon!

·
Registered
853 Posts
2 battery boxes made and mine is installed.....next the raised front fender bracket, needs it for the correct tracker look....then a final check on the wiring just to leave me with less of a nausous feeling before I send power from the key to the new Ignatech and Mosphet.....two expensive ooooops if things aren't 100% correct.
The biggest bonus is....I found the keys.....lol

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I just finished two seats today, now they are ready for the covering. One Cafe and the other tracker style......not sure the garage will ever be clean again.....No one goes for profesional service and mine will get hand stitched....I'm too broke now to pay someone to do it.....augh!
Again, thanks for your help on the seat. Hopefully it comes out as planned from the upholster. Keep in mind, just because I'm getting mine stitched professionally, doesn't mean I'm too rich to pay someone to do it. lol. Far from it actually. Just because I love fashion, doesn't make me a designer. ;)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #545
2 battery boxes made and mine is installed.....next the raised front fender bracket, needs it for the correct tracker look....then a final check on the wiring just to leave me with less of a nausous feeling before I send power from the key to the new Ignatech and Mosphet.....two expensive ooooops if things aren't 100% correct.
The biggest bonus is....I found the keys.....lol
For me that's always one of the scariest parts too. Putting electricity through my freshly completed wiring. Hopefully it all works good for you, as troubleshooting wiring can be a pain in the rear!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Back on the subject of adhesives for that flex light.

I have used this stuff

image.jpg

For years to adhere receivers/speed controls in high flying, rough and tumble 1/10th and 1/8th scale r/c off road cars. Never had a failure with this stuff. It sticks with a tenacity close to epoxy, yet will release cleanly should you need to remove it. You can buy it at most good hobby stores or most walk arts (bigger rolls,ESCs money)

The hobby brand is Parma.

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #547
Hey, another RC enthusiast! I've been around them for a long time too and have various on-road and off-road ones of varying scales. More recently I've gotten into planes and helicopters.
Unfortunately I do not have much time to play with them as school and my motorbike have taken up all my time, but I miss spending time with them.

Thanks for the product though, it looks like it would work great! It looks like it's a gel type of tape which would mold nicely to the surface. I have something similar at my house except it is foam tape. Apparently it is good for holding things up to 20 lbs. I was originally going to use it to hold the rubber part of the pod filters, but if the stock adhesive on the light doesn't hold I might give it a try. If that doesn't work I will give the Parma stuff a go.

3m-super-strength-molding-tape-03609.jpg

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #548 (Edited)
Okay, another topic that I need to look at is tire choice.
I know there have been numerous threads about various tires, and I have filtered it down to a few choices. I would like your guys feedback on which one you would recommend.

First things first, my riding style. I enjoy flinging the bike around, but by no means scrape knees on any corner. Therefore I need something with relatively good grip but no need for a racing tire.
The majority of my rides are a mixture of leisure and commuting. I have yet to go on any real long distance trips, but I still want a tire that will last a fairly long time.
Clearance is another thing I have to make sure about. Some of these tires have a bit larger profile I believe, so I am worried they might rub on the frame and rear fender.
Riding in the rain should not occur on most occasions as I have a car I can use if the weather is bad. All weather performance would be nice, but not necessary.

Okay, on to the tire choices now:

Shinko 777

0000_Shinko_777_Front_Tire_--.jpg

Pros:
Good dry grip
Good looking tire

Concerns:
Long lasting?
Wet performance?

Shinko 230

Shinko-Tires.jpg

Pros:
Good all weather performance

Concerns:
Long lasting?
Not a big fan of the tire style

Kenda K657

challenger.jpg

Pros:
Good dry grip
Good looking tire

Concerns:
Long Lasting?
Wet weather performance?

Shinko 705

705-series.jpg

Pros:
Long lasting
Good looking tire

Concerns:
Dry grip on road?
Wet weather performance?
Clearance?

Kenda k761

0000_kenda_k761_dual_sport_rear_tire_--.jpg

Pros:
Long lasting
Good looking tire

Concerns:
Dry grip on roads?
Wet weather performance?
Clearance?

Thanks for all your help and feedback!

Reactions: Woodzie

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have the 761's on my bike. I also have been running them on my KLR705 fully modded and they last a long time on that also and have been for the last 8 years. They are my favorite tire by far. Great dry weather grip for a semi aggressive tread pattern, good wet wet weather grip but i also do not ride aggressively in the wet like some do. IF you do they will slide under hard accelleration and hard braking especially in the rear as I would expect any tire to do in the wet. The rear tire has a seimi wear bar in the middle of the tread that allows for such high mileages but it also creates a solid bar which at this point in their lifespan they are slippery in the wet but you soon adjust to this and realize what to expect. I have ridden across Canada and up to the Arctic Circle and beyond, back down to Victoria on a new set.....the rear was toast at this point but the front easily made it back and lasted the reast of the season. This was all on the KLR which was heavily loaded for camping adventure. The whole trip was 27,000kms in 5 weeks and the last part on the fresh rear was solely across Canada back home.......this shows me they are excellent value for the money. You just have to realize after the rear gets to that wear bar that in the rain it becomes slipery compared to before. IF you own a tire groover you could easily knife in a few grooves to get it back to original also.....I used to have the groover but stiupidly sold it.....
They are inexpensive, easy to mount and last forever........so you decide.
There are no clearance issues as well.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Shinko 230s are what I put on my cx. They had great reviews but not personally sure of performance or longevity yet but I think the look of the tire is pretty nice. Those Shinko 705s sure look aggressive! Sorry not really any help

·
Super Moderator
1,335 Posts
Back on the subject of adhesives for that flex light.

I have used this stuff

View attachment 21145

For years to adhere receivers/speed controls in high flying, rough and tumble 1/10th and 1/8th scale r/c off road cars. Never had a failure with this stuff. It sticks with a tenacity close to epoxy, yet will release cleanly should you need to remove it. You can buy it at most good hobby stores or most walk arts (bigger rolls,ESCs money)

The hobby brand is Parma.
I used to have a part-time job at Parma International in the vacuum-forming dept. making the car & truck bodies! The owner Ken was a really nice guy to work for. Great company!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #553
I have the 761's on my bike. I also have been running them on my KLR705 fully modded and they last a long time on that also and have been for the last 8 years. They are my favorite tire by far. Great dry weather grip for a semi aggressive tread pattern, good wet wet weather grip but i also do not ride aggressively in the wet like some do. IF you do they will slide under hard accelleration and hard braking especially in the rear as I would expect any tire to do in the wet. The rear tire has a seimi wear bar in the middle of the tread that allows for such high mileages but it also creates a solid bar which at this point in their lifespan they are slippery in the wet but you soon adjust to this and realize what to expect. I have ridden across Canada and up to the Arctic Circle and beyond, back down to Victoria on a new set.....the rear was toast at this point but the front easily made it back and lasted the reast of the season. This was all on the KLR which was heavily loaded for camping adventure. The whole trip was 27,000kms in 5 weeks and the last part on the fresh rear was solely across Canada back home.......this shows me they are excellent value for the money. You just have to realize after the rear gets to that wear bar that in the rain it becomes slipery compared to before. IF you own a tire groover you could easily knife in a few grooves to get it back to original also.....I used to have the groover but stiupidly sold it.....
They are inexpensive, easy to mount and last forever........so you decide.
There are no clearance issues as well.....
Thanks for the info Jonathan! I've heard about your trip from another thread and that is the main reason why I started looking in to getting a dual sport tire. The mileage and performance sounds perfect for me. I was worried about grip on road, but sounds like that shouldn't be an issue at all. A fried of mine who has an Enduro bike says that he has never had any grip issues with dual sport tires either.
I've dumped my bike before in the rain due to locking up the front tire, so now I am very careful in wet conditions so as long as I keep that in mind I should be good.

At this point, I am leaning towards the dual sport tires for sure. Only thing is......I like the look of the shinko 705's better lol. Don't get me wrong, the 761's are a gorgeous tire, but I like the more aggressive and staggered look of the 705's.
Assuming the performance is similar to the 761's (they seem to be a very similar tire) I think that it will be the winning choice.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #554
I would warn you against the foam-based tape. It's not strong under constant tension, and it is absolute hell to get off when it fails.
Duly noted! Thanks for the heads up. I will look around for the gel type stuff then if the adhesive starts to fail.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #555
The Shinko 230s are what I put on my cx. They had great reviews but not personally sure of performance or longevity yet but I think the look of the tire is pretty nice. Those Shinko 705s sure look aggressive! Sorry not really any help
Yeah from what I've heard those are one of the best all-around tires for the cx500. I am not a huge fan of the zig-zag pattern personally, but a lot of that depends on the style of the bike. On your bike they do look very nice though I must admit!
I agree! I think we are getting closer to a winner.......

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #556
I used to have a part-time job at Parma International in the vacuum-forming dept. making the car & truck bodies! The owner Ken was a really nice guy to work for. Great company!
That would be a very cool job!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #557
So I cannot find the Shinko 705's in the proper size, and I actually think they do not make a 16" version. I've seen them on other members bikes (Chopper Charles I believe had them on his) but they all had the standard comstars with 18" rear tires.
And unfortunately it looks like the same can be said about the Kenda k761's. That sucks because I really liked the look of the tires! :(

So I guess I will have to pick one of the other ones........

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #559
OR locate an 18" rim....?
Yeah I thought of that, but I'd want matching rims, so I'd need to get both front and rear. Not to mention I would need to paint and put the red rim tape on the new tires too.
As much as I like the tires I don't think I can afford them right now, especially when I still need to get the seat done and paint the tank along with picking up some riding shoes.
If I could find a pair of rims for a REALLY good deal I might look into it, but for now I think it will be best to go with a different set of tires.
Later on when the bike is done and I have some more cash I will look into it again though because those tires sound awesome!

If I get a chance I might look at Zdeno's in Kitchener for a pair of rims and see how much they cost.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #560
After looking around I think I have decided to go with the Shinko 230's for now. They seem like one of the best all around tires for our bikes and at a decent price too.
Will pick some up soon and hopefully get them mounted after I finish the seat pan.

Eventually I would like to get the dual sport tire but that can wait for now I think.

541 - 560 of 997 Posts