Honda CX 500 Forum banner

521 - 540 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #521
That video made me have epileptic seizures and I'm not even epileptic.

Very cool product though
LOL, at least you noticed the brake light :p

Buy two when you buy one as they don't last a year but at their cost they are still cheap! I used on on my KLR for a long time.....they are excellent!!!!
I only purchased one for now, but when it goes I will buy another one for sure. The way I wired it I can easily bypass it if it fails one day so at least I'll still have a working light until I can get a replacement.

Reactions: Willys

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #522 (Edited)
Class was cancelled this morning so that meant I had some time to work on the bike :D

First thing I did was to wire up everything and make sure both the tail light and flasher module worked.
After that it was time to mount the light and clean the wiring up.

I started by drilling a hole in the rear for the wires to pass through. The wires have a hard plastic frame around them just behind the light, so a grommet was not needed.

IMG_9744.JPG

Then I wired up the light and mounted it to the back frame. The tape is just to hold the light in place until the adhesive cures and the light takes shape.

IMG_9754.JPG

After fooling around with the flasher module settings (which are really simple to go through once you get the hang of how it works) I found a setup that I liked. If need be though it can be changed on the fly anytime.

Here is a quick video to show the settings I chose. I have 7 flashes set at the fifth fastest setting with a 5 second wait period in between cycles. Should be very helpful I think!!!

And then, since the weather was so nice I decided I would start the bike up to get everything moving after a long cold winter and make sure all the electronics still work.
Here is a very quick video of it running. I absolutely LOVE the sound of the air rushing into the carbs! I had no idea the pods would do that.
I will need to tune the bike no doubt, but it seemed to run pretty well overall. If I gave it a really quick twist of the throttle it would drop RPM's then pick up so I know I have at least a little tuning to do.

I also grabbed a few better pictures of the bike out in the open. Can't wait to get this thing done!!!

IMG_9745.JPG

IMG_9746.JPG

IMG_9750.JPG

Next step is to make a seat pan....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
Looking nice! I really like the taillight idea. You can never be too safe. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Cxracer! Exactly. I haven't had a close call with being rear ended yet, and I'd like to keep it that way lol.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Where did you get that tail light bud?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #526
Where did you get that tail light bud?
Purchased from ebay: DRC Motoled Flex 2 Flex LED Tail Light D45 29 311 | eBay
The company has a 3 different versions of the light. The Flex 1 is mounted using two bolts, the Flex 2 attaches via adhesive, and the Flex 3 is larger and not flexible at all apparently and mounts with two bolts as well.

Flex400.jpg

I liked the sleek and clean look of the Flex 2. Hopefully the adhesive holds alright, and if not I will simply super glue the thing on there lol.
I also liked the fact that it was flexible, had the wiring coming straight out the back, and was a brake light and running light all in one unit.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Why did I not see this before. Arghhhh!!!!

I will have to get one of those.

Very nice!

Purchased from ebay: DRC Motoled Flex 2 Flex LED Tail Light D45 29 311 | eBay
The company has a 3 different versions of the light. The Flex 1 is mounted using two bolts, the Flex 2 attaches via adhesive, and the Flex 3 is larger and not flexible at all apparently and mounts with two bolts as well.

View attachment 21106

I liked the sleek and clean look of the Flex 2. Hopefully the adhesive holds alright, and if not I will simply super glue the thing on there lol.
I also liked the fact that it was flexible, had the wiring coming straight out the back, and was a brake light and running light all in one unit.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #529
All of you efforts have paid off! Congrats on a beautiful build!
Thanks Bill! It is a nice feeling seeing all of the hard work finally resulting in my own unique bike.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #530
Why did I not see this before. Arghhhh!!!!

I will have to get one of those.

Very nice!
Lol yeah I know what you mean, it's like the perfect light for so many applications because it's so flexible.

·
Registered
231 Posts
View attachment 21106

Aha, interesting!
The flex-1 catches my eye, as the mounting holes could double as mounting points for metal arms holding the turn signals...

Really excellent work Micah! The day of riding is getting close!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #532
View attachment 21106

Aha, interesting!
The flex-1 catches my eye, as the mounting holes could double as mounting points for metal arms holding the turn signals...

Really excellent work Micah! The day of riding is getting close!
I must say, you have some of the most unique ideas out there chaetophile! That would look very cool indeed. I am looking forward to all the cool little things that will be on your build.

Thanks for the kind words, it really does mean a lot that the bike is being so well received. Makes me smile knowing so many people enjoy it and can appreciate the amount of work put in.
and.....I cannot wait to ride!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's because my brain is broked.

I keep hoping to get a weekend to myself to do some actual work on my bike. Watching you do great stuff has kept me hopeful.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #534
LOL, it's okay, everyone's brain is a little broked :p

Yeah I love watching other peoples builds too. It not only gives me inspiration but also motivation to keep going. Hopefully you can treat yourself to a little time with the bike soon!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I just finished two seats today, now they are ready for the covering. One Cafe and the other tracker style......not sure the garage will ever be clean again.....No one goes for profesional service and mine will get hand stitched....I'm too broke now to pay someone to do it.....augh!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #536
I just finished two seats today, now they are ready for the covering. One Cafe and the other tracker style......not sure the garage will ever be clean again.....No one goes for profesional service and mine will get hand stitched....I'm too broke now to pay someone to do it.....augh!
Nice! Post some pics up if you get a chance!
Lol I would do the same thing as you too except I got a quote from a guy which was pretty reasonable. The one place in Cambridge here quoted me $125 for the upholstery of the seat. That includes all materials and the custom design. All I have to supply is the seat pan. For that price I don't mind paying a little extra to get it professionally done as I know I could not do as good of a job lol.
Sounds like you've have some experience making seats before, and you also mentioned you might be doing your tank in leather, so I am sure that you should be able to come up with something very nice looking!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey micah... Which place in Cambridge? I might be interested in getting a seat upholstered and that seems like a good price. I'm in southern Ontario too...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #538
Hey micah... Which place in Cambridge? I might be interested in getting a seat upholstered and that seems like a good price. I'm in southern Ontario too...
Hey there Greycat, the place I got the quote from is called Gold star Upholstery Gold Star Upholstery

I have no first hand experience of the quality of work, but from the looks of it, the company used to be called The Upholstery Shop (because the address for the two is the same) and they have a Facebook page with some examples of work that looked pretty nice from what I can tell: https://www.facebook.com/theupholsteryshopcambridge

I will hopefully get the pan made withing the next couple weeks and I will have them do the upholstery and report back on the quality soon after. I guess I'll be the guinea pig lol :p

I know there are a few places in Guelph and Kitchener though too, but again, I do not know what the quality or cost would be. Maybe another member that lives close by has had experience? If so please let us know!

521 - 540 of 997 Posts