Honda CX 500 Forum banner

441 - 460 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Moto, I don't like anything about your bike or even the way you cut your hair.

So I guess you're doing it right.

I'd still mount that on mine!
LOL, that actually made me chuckle :laughing7:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
And you dress funny.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Who said it was limited to a day ?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
In that case........you all smell bad and don't know anything about the CX500. <_<

Reactions: purplecx500

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. The bike is looking really nice! I enjoy watching your creativity...

My only word of caution would be to keep a close eye on the welds at the mounting point (rear axle). On my '80, I had originally mounted the tail light and license tag on the rear fender (a converted front fender). Early on I was aware of rear fender vibration and I kept a close eye on the fender mounting points under the saddle for fear of fatigue cracking. I was always satisfied the fender wasn't cracking at the mounting points. What I didn't look at was the tag/light mount, which was further removed from the stability of the mounts, and thus picked up a lot of vibration. Last fall I took a lunch time blast on the bike, heard a rattle, then was struck in the back with the tag mount/tag/light combination after it bounced off the rear tire. Could have been a bad situation - good thing I was wearing a quality padded riding jacket that protected me. The bend adjacent to the mounting point on the tag holder on the rear of the fender had fatigued (in retrospect, I should have kept closer tabs on this area). I subsequently moved the redesigned, beefier, tag mount/tail light combo to the RS rear axle where it is much more stable.

So all in all, you have a significant load (lever) hanging out there in space. Beware of vibration and cracking at the heat affected zones of the weld(s), especially at the rear axle.

Carry on...

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
Thanks for the kind words flyinelvis!

Yeah, the first few rides will definitely be a test to make sure everything is sturdy. I'll make sure to make a routine of checking it every so often to make sure the welds don't fail. I was originally going to go with a plastic fender but had no way to get a good shape. Eventually I'd like to make a carbon fiber one or if I don't like how it works out, I'll just redesign the plate bracket entirely.
Oh wow, yeah I definitely don't want that happening! I want to keep all the parts on my bike lol.

Thanks for all the tips though, I will make sure to keep them all in mind!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #448 (Edited)
Received a package in the mail today. It was the 12V delay circuits.
For the price of them ($2-3 each) I couldn't make something as neat as that, plus it saves me a lot of wiring trouble and picking and choosing components.
I only needed two of them, but I picked up four just in case one was faulty and seeing as how they're from china they take a long time to come.

I did a quick test on them and they work great! Just what I wanted. Now to get them actually wired into the harness and all will be set.

IMG_9516.JPG

Reactions: flyinelvis

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nice relays. I use those closed, cubical, car type relays. Capable of handling 30A. Far too high for what I'm planning to do with 'm.

sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
Moto, where did you get them from, link please....thanks.....what are you planing on using them for? I need some also.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
Nice relays. I use those closed, cubical, car type relays. Capable of handling 30A. Far too high for what I'm planning to do with 'm.

sent via Tapatalk
Thanks, they are nice little units indeed! Oh yeah, I used one of those for the e-fan and it works great too! I just bought these because they were cheap and already put together.

Moto, where did you get them from, link please....thanks.....what are you planing on using them for? I need some also.
Sorry about that, I have added the link to the post above now. I will be using them to delay the voltage to the outermost rear turn signal thusly creating a sequential effect for the two lights. If you check out the gifs I made a while back you can see what I mean. A little side note about the the shipping, it took over 2 months to get here (over the Christmas holidays so a bit more delay is expected) so if you need them any time soon I would order now, or get them from someone closer. I believe I saw some listings on ebay for ones in the states, but they were more expensive of course.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
Got a little bit of wiring done on the bike tonight. Extended the leads from the starter solenoid, and also routed most of the wires. Still have to route the battery and starter wires as well as all the rear lights.

I drilled another hole in the front electrical pan to allow the wires from the regulator to pass through and go under the seat:

IMG_9517.JPG

And slowly working at getting the wires neat and orderly as well as making sure there is enough room in the end. If all goes well I will paint the pans tomorrow and start putting the wiring in its final spot.

IMG_9518.JPG

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
I drilled another hole in the front electrical pan to allow the wires from the regulator to pass through and go under the seat:

View attachment 19763
That needs a grommet, or it'll short out fast. The one that receives the tab of the stock side cover might fit that hole.

R

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
So about the relay the delay can be adjused from 0 to ? seconds

Another must have.... sooner or later............................ok later.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #455 (Edited)
That needs a grommet, or it'll short out fast. The one that receives the tab of the stock side cover might fit that hole.
R
Sorry, I should've mentioned before that the grommets are on the way. Good catch though!
I didn't think of using the ones from the side covers though, so I will go check and see if they fit.

So about the relay the delay can be adjused from 0 to ? seconds

Another must have.... sooner or later............................ok later.
The relay can be adjusted from 0 to 10 seconds via the potentiometer. I will most likely be using a delay of approximately 0.5 seconds for the signals, but there is a pretty fine adjustment for the relay so that shouldn't be a problem.
The relay also has both NC and NO ports so you can set it up so as one light turns off the other one comes on after the set delay time.

Reactions: purplecx500

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
Got some more done today (even though I should've been working on a school assignment lol).
First thing I did was clean up the starter solenoid bracket and give it a shot of primer, then gloss black:

IMG_9520.JPG

Also super glued in the back sections for the tire hugger "eyes". I will go over the back with the plastic paint to seal it all in anyways so they shouldn't come off.

IMG_9521.JPG

I had the rest of a small can of bondo lying around and needed to use it up, so I put it on the rear electrical pan and also cleaned up some spots I had missed on the tire hugger.

IMG_9522.JPG

IMG_9523.JPG

Reactions: Woodzie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
Looks like your making some progress! Keep it up, looks good
Hey thanks buddy! Slowly getting it done, but every time I think I see the end in sight I find something else that needs to be done lol.

Your build is also coming along great. I like the black tires you got and the new bearings. I need to do that sometime too on my bike as it's still a high mileage frame.
Can't wait to see your bike driving down the road!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #459
First thing to do was give both the rear electrical pan and tire hugger a coating of rubber spray on the underside to seal and protect the metal from road debris:

IMG_9525.JPG

IMG_9526.JPG

Then it was time to paint the two pans. A couple coats of self-etching primer:

IMG_9531.JPG

Then another couple coats of gloss black. The surfaces aren't perfect, but at least they are painted and look clean.

The front electrical pan:

IMG_9529.JPG

IMG_9530.JPG

And the rear electrical pan:

IMG_9534.JPG

IMG_9536.JPG

With those both done and painted, it was time to finish up the tire hugger.
After giving it a good coat of primer and sanding it down a bit (the plastic is very fibrous so it took a couple coats with sanding in between to smooth it out), I painted the cutouts (which were now backed with plastic) with red spray paint:

IMG_9532.JPG

Then I masked off the area inside of the cutouts:

IMG_9533.JPG

And gave the whole front side of it a couple coats with the flat black spray paint.
I'm quite pleased with how it turned out! Purely aesthetic and might not be noticed by many people, but very aggressive looking and gives the bike a certain character.

IMG_9537.JPG

IMG_9539.JPG

Reactions: OCR

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Skip the bondo and leave the hammer marks it adds texture.

Also if you must use the stuff use flexi on plastic as in bumper repair.

Less cracking. Or does regular bondo flex noways?

Put some lenses in the red area and LEDs for the red eyed monster effect ?

There goes my mind wandering

....again

441 - 460 of 997 Posts