Honda CX 500 Forum banner

421 - 440 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
Finished up painting the license plate holder/rear fender today. Took a bit longer than I thought, plus I had some assignments to do so that's all that got done today.

Masked off the tubing and bottom section and gave the fender section a coat of primer then a coat of flat black to match the front fender:

IMG_9470.JPG

After that had dried I masked off the fender portion and painted the tubes and bottom section with primer and then gloss black to match the rest of the frame:

IMG_9474.JPG

And the final product is all done. Turned out pretty good with the paint on it and I am quite pleased with how both types of black fit together:

IMG_9476.JPG

Painted the license plate bracket too:

IMG_9484.JPG

With the plate mounted and the lights on it looks really nice. I will see what it looks like mounted on the bike next chance I get.

I had also purchased a can of red Plasti-dip a while ago and got the chance to paint the springs yesterday. Even though they look a bit pink in the pictures, in real life they are a nice semi-gloss red:

IMG_9463.JPG

Mounted on the dampers they look pretty slick and should match the rest of the bike pretty good. If I find they are too much when it's all done then I will just peel off the plasti-dip and keep them black.

IMG_9480.JPG

IMG_9483.JPG

Going to mount the dampers by themselves one last time on the bike to make sure I have the clearance all sorted out, then I will mount the springs onto the dampers.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
Really like the fender & shocks! Your shocks are painted like the shock on my Ninja and I really like that look!

Nice Work!
Thanks for the compliments Bill, I'm glad you like them! Oh nice, I've always liked that color combo too! I figured if I could fit it into my build then it would be cool.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
When a person gets a negative response

it means they are doing something right !!

So when anyone says 'I wouldn't put that on my bike'.

An emotional response.

A thought stimulated by your creation.

When this happens it means you are an artist.

Take it as a compliment .

Unless its for SAFETY reasons.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
That fender turned out really good! I like the mix of flat and gloss black
Thanks C&K! :D

When a person gets a negative response

it means they are doing something right !!

So when anyone says 'I wouldn't put that on my bike'.

An emotional response.

A thought stimulated by your creation.

When this happens it means you are an artist.

Take it as a compliment .

Unless its for SAFETY reasons.
Hmmmm I never thought of it that way before. Those are some very wise words!
I never believed that my build would get people thinking on an emotional level, but now that you point it out, it is kind of a cool way of looking at it.
You've got a very positive outlook on things, and I admire that :)

Reactions: Woodzie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
I had a little bit of time tonight to work on the bike. First thing I did was double check the clearance with the dampers to make sure all was good with them.

Fully bottomed out and nothing rubs or touches. Hard to see, but there is around a half inch of clearance on most spots so it should be ready to go.
Looks like a hard tail lol:

IMG_9486.JPG

IMG_9487.JPG

I was now able to mount the springs on the dampers with some help from my dad. Test mounted to see what they look like. The color is bad in the pictures due to low light in the garage, but they match the rest of the bike pretty good. A little red in the tank and it should all come together.

IMG_9490.JPG

IMG_9491.JPG

Also mounted the rear signals into the ports to see what they would look like. They're very mean and aggressive which is just what I want:

IMG_9494.JPG

IMG_9497.JPG

And lastly, the fender/license plate holder is mounted. All together I think it turned out good:

IMG_9502.JPG

fotofriend_3682237.jpg

fotofriend_3682238.jpg

fotofriend_3682239.jpg

IMG_9511.JPG

IMG_9513.JPG

Lots to do before spring, but every day it is a bit closer to being complete.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
Don't get me wrong- i wouldn't put that on my bike, because for me it serves no purpose. Rest of the bike is very nice.
I have no negative emotions regarding this bike, or you in particular. Chill out ;-)
True true, I just didn't want the plate hanging off the rear acting as fender.
Don't worry lol, like I said, I appreciate all the feedback I get. At the end of the day, it's only just a bike and not worth arguing over :)

Nice fabrication Micah! Well done. It looks great.
Thanks Woodzie! Glad you like it :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Micah
Great job on the plate bracket/fender! I'm wondering what you're using for the fender in front of the back wheel.

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
Micah
Great job on the plate bracket/fender! I'm wondering what you're using for the fender in front of the back wheel.
Thanks! :) I am just using the stock plastic fender that was on the bike behind the air box. I cut it up and welded some tabs onto the swing arm to mount it. I still have to finish sanding and then paint it though.
If you go to page 36 of my build you can see how I cut it. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #436
You read my mind lol :p That will be the next big thing I purchase for my bike for sure! I am just waiting to make sure I have enough funds with OSAP to pay for school and whatnot before buying them. Also I still have to paint the tank and get the seat made...so depending on how much that all costs will determine how soon I can buy the Mikunis.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I had a busy productive day in the garage today, made and installed a set of intakes to mount some Mikunis, now need to rejet and do some grinding to finish the job. Changed the front tire and cleaned up the rim, cleaned the rear rim ready for it's new rubber. Cut the back off just behind the shock mounts. Played with a single muffler mounted under the seat, but may just install two hanging on the sides to allow flow. Took one fork apart ready for new seals etc, left the other in to hold the triples in place. Now will be in serious pain for a few days then at it again, install rear upturned hoop. finish carbs and permanantly install them with double throttle cable. It's finally starting to take shape....slow but sure....We have at least 2 1/2 months before it's riding season......so I think I have enough time.....lol.
Now back to the regularly scheduled program.....keep it going buddy.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I had a busy productive day in the garage today, made and installed a set of intakes to mount some Mikunis, now need to rejet and do some grinding to finish the job. Changed the front tire and cleaned up the rim, cleaned the rear rim ready for it's new rubber. Cut the back off just behind the shock mounts. Played with a single muffler mounted under the seat, but may just install two hanging on the sides to allow flow. Took one fork apart ready for new seals etc, left the other in to hold the triples in place. Now will be in serious pain for a few days then at it again, install rear upturned hoop. finish carbs and permanantly install them with double throttle cable. It's finally starting to take shape....slow but sure....We have at least 2 1/2 months before it's riding season......so I think I have enough time.....lol.
Great job on the intakes Willy!
photo(7).JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
Oh yeah, I was just gonna say, those intakes looked a bit different from the normal ones you see around. But very impressive none-the-less!!!
Sounds like your build is progressing very nicely! I want to see some pics lol. Glad to see you got your rear hoop all sorted out too.
And the carbs...I am very impressed by them, looks like you actually know what you're doing ;)
I'm in the same boat as you lol, trying to get as much done as possible before riding season starts again.
Thanks for all the support and kind words Jonathan! We'll definitely have to meet up some time!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Moto, I don't like anything about your bike or even the way you cut your hair.

So I guess you're doing it right.

I'd still mount that on mine!

421 - 440 of 997 Posts