Honda CX 500 Forum banner

241 - 260 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
I might still use the Bondo just to get a bit more of a round shape on the weld areas as it's hard to be perfect with a grinder.
Rough cut with the grinder, and clean it up with a hand file. The grinder removes material too quickly.

You'll be surprised how smooth a surface you can make on steel with a medium-toothed hand file.

R

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Rough cut with the grinder, and clean it up with a hand file. The grinder removes material too quickly.

You'll be surprised how smooth a surface you can make on steel with a medium-toothed hand file.

R
I will give this a go then. Thanks :D

·
Registered
853 Posts
I may have gone with a solid bars and not have to have dealt with the cuting and welding and then reshaping issues......just saying...????

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
I may have gone with a solid bars and not have to have dealt with the cuting and welding and then reshaping issues......just saying...????
Yeah that would've been a lot easier I agree, but I needed them hollow as I wanted to run the wiring inside them. I think I finally got something that I am happy with though. I will post pictures in the next little bit.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Got the one tube welded and ground down a bit yesterday, and got the other one done today. Turned out pretty well, at least better than the first time around. Like Randall mentioned, I'll take them home tonight and do some filing and sanding on them to try to get them nice and even all the way around. Next step is to work on the actual mounting bracket.

Weld and grind, weld and grind, weld and grind...........

IMG_9150.JPG

Sittin "pretty" on my desk:

IMG_9152.JPG

IMG_9155.JPG

Not perfect, but still have a lot of cleaning up to do:

IMG_9153.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
I did just that and it worked great! Only problem is I was trying to fix the one piece by bending it slightly to match the other one and I cracked a weld, so i'll have to fix that tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Thanks! It is indeed very challenging and a huge pain, but there is this odd satisfaction of seeing a straight pipe turn into a bendy, sloppy, ugly mess.....that being said.....it is my bendy, sloppy, ugly mess and I love it! :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Sanded down the tubes using the advice from you guys and it worked great. Still have a bit more to do, but in the end I think it should all blend together pretty well. You can see the difference between the sanded one on the right and the other one on the left:

IMG_9156.JPG

And now it is time to start making the fender itself. Another large project as i soon found out lol.
Used some paper to get a good shape for the fender and traced it onto the sheet metal:

IMG_9158.JPG

After a bit of cutting we have the makings of a fender. Next step: getting it to be the proper shape.......
My dad had an old piece of metal lying around that matched the radius of the tire pretty closely, so I used that as my hammering guide and just started to whack it. Seemed to work pretty well.

IMG_9159.JPG

I ended up turning it upside down and whacking it with a ball-peen hammer which worked a lot better.
After a couple hundred blows with the hammer, and one sore arm and a headache later, I had this monstrosity. It started to twist on me and no matter what I did I couldn't seem to get it to straighten out. Any of you forums members know how to get it to untwist? I will be at it again tonight, but I figured someone should try and stop me now :p

IMG_9161.JPG

So yeah.....a metal worker I am not LOL

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Stupid work blocks YouTube videos :grumpy: I will watch that as soon as I get home!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Thanks Randall, I'll make sure to keep that in mind!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Time for some more updates.
First off, thank you to Kam and Randall, that video and those tips made a huge difference!
Second, having the right tools makes the job a million times easier lol. Whatever hammer, metal sphere and wheelie press thing that guy used in his videos would make things so much better. However, I did not have any money to spend on extra tools, so I had to make do with what I had. That meant pulling out the rubber mallet and getting myself a blanket as I didn't have a sand bag either. The guy was working with aluminum which, again, would have been a much better idea. Either way, he makes it look easy....it isn't......

After getting set up, and straightening the piece with the mallet and blanket, I set about to get the piece bent to the tire profile first:

IMG_9167.JPG

Then, carefully trying to mimic what that guy did in his video, I tried to get the radius of the tire into the fender. But no matter how much I tried, I could not get a good radius going. The steel was too hard, the hammer not large enough, and the blanket too soft. I did get the edges to be pretty close, but the main body of the fender wasn't going anywhere. Trying to salvage what I had done, I decided to make some relief cuts along the edge of the fender to help get the proper shape. This took some time to get right, and there was lots of bending and checking, but in the end I got a shape that I was happy with:

IMG_9168.JPG

Time for some more welding then (Eventually I might get good at it). I welded both the inside and outside to make sure I would have some good overlapping seams.

IMG_9171.JPG

Time for some more grinding then (Eventually I might get good at this too). I had to fill in some areas after grinding as each little piece was twisted slightly and I needed it to be flush.

IMG_9169.JPG

And the final thing doesn't look too bad....ish. Going to sand it and clean up the bottom edges, make it all nice and even, then mount it up and make sure it fits, then bondo and paint. I didn't worry about the underside too much as no one will ever see it, and I will be coating it with the thicker undercoating paint (NO TOUCHEEEE this time)

IMG_9173.JPG

IMG_9174.JPG

·
Registered
252 Posts
If last week someone told you you would make your own fender. Would you believe it? How easy it is when you just start doing

Sent with Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
If last week someone told you you would make your own fender. Would you believe it? How easy it is when you just start doing
Very good point! I would've said they're nuts lol. But you're right, every task is daunting until you actually start doing it, then you get to learn the little tricks and tips and it all seems to work out...some of the time haha

Crazy bastard you!!!!
I never said I was sane now did I :p

Reactions: Volaussie
241 - 260 of 997 Posts