Honda CX 500 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Or something like the Alliance bike.
That, my friend, is one sick looking bike/snowmobile/tank/medieval carriage thingy lol! Can you imagine what it must be like to have the money to build something like that haha.

But I do like the shape of the rear hugger a lot. It's different and gives it a reptile scale-like appearance. The reason why I would go this way is because it is easier to make, as I just need to bend each section around a large pipe to get the right shape. With a solid hugger there are some tricky curves to get it to wrap around the tire nicely on the sides and top. The gears in my mind are spinning..........

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
252 Posts
That would turn some head when you roll, plow, grind by.
It's a bike from Paul jr.'s crew; Team Alliance. They had a build off against his other crew members; Team Horde, to build a bike for Blizzard.
The Horde bike won and is incorporated in World of Warcraft.

Sent with Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
For sure LOL!
That's so sick! I'm not a huge fan of choppers but that is a really cool style with the armor and swords. And the tracks on it give it a mean (yet totally impractical) look.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Even something small like this might work too:

image31_zps80b13c10.jpeg

Reactions: jayseamtl

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
So not a lot done this weekend as I had to fix the brakes on my car, but at the same time it was nice and relaxing to do something little to get back into the groove of things.
After taking off the lower support for the airbox and battery I needed a way to hold the rear brake light switch. Ended up just making a little bracket which should do well.

The bracket:

IMG_9078.JPG

The bracket and switch mounted:

IMG_9079.JPG

Reactions: flyinelvis

·
Registered
594 Posts
A great solution to this problem. I fab'ed similar parts for my builds. Trying to think ahead on CX-4, as I plan on going the mono-shock route. Remembering to leave this section of tubing in place (with the tapped hole) will be important. The spring length dictates if I can move it further down the frame and tapping a new hole...

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Thanks! I know what you mean about thinking ahead. Once I took off all the stuff on the rear of the bike I wanted to start cleaning up the frame and grinding down the little tabs and whatnot, but then I thought to myself that I better keep everything as is and see what I can do with the existing mounts. It saves lots of time and money if you plan ahead.

I love the look of a mono shock! That sounds like a good way to mount it too as like you said you can utilize the hole that's already there hopefully.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
I am currently working on designing the battery holder that sits under the engine where the h-box used to be. I have been looking around at a few designs and noticed a lot of the boxes had open tops. Has anyone had any issues with this or think I should go a different route with a fully enclosed box?

·
Registered
594 Posts
So on this page, I showed what my battery box looks like. IMO, the open top design is fine so long as you provide holes in the bottom for water to drain. On my first build, the battery was laid on it's side, with the idea of enclosing it with a lid. It never really panned out as clearance and the inability to properly route the stiff cables became an issue for me. I have been riding the bike with it exposed under the engine for the past two years without a problem. Although I probably just jinxed myself...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
So on this page, I showed what my battery box looks like. IMO, the open top design is fine so long as you provide holes in the bottom for water to drain. On my first build, the battery was laid on it's side, with the idea of enclosing it with a lid. It never really panned out as clearance and the inability to properly route the stiff cables became an issue for me. I have been riding the bike with it exposed under the engine for the past two years without a problem. Although I probably just jinxed myself...
I remember seeing that box a while ago and it looks great! I would get a smaller battery like the Anti Gravity one you have in there but I am strapped for cash right now lol. Would be a lot better though as it is pretty tight down there.
I was going to cut the corners out of the bottom to allow drainage but then saw that someone just drilled a whole bunch of holes on the bottom section and that looked like it would work better.
Oh that's perfect then, I figured if so many people had done it it must be alright, but I just wanted to make sure. LOL, yeah be careful what you say.....the bikes are watching you :p

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #212 (Edited)
So here is the plan for tonight: Get the pieces cut out and fitted together.
Here is the plan for tomorrow: Weld the box together and hopefully everything fits.

Pretty straight forward but something is guaranteed to mess up haha.

View attachment Battery Holder Drawing.JPG

Edit: The box dimensions are correct and will fit under the bike, but the mounting brackets are not! They are way too long. Just a heads up for anyone else using this design.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
First things first....that drawing isn't totally correct lol. The box itself is the correct dimensions but for some reason when I measured the distance between the two mounting holes I was off by a couple inches :confused: .
So I made the box alright then stuck it under the bike and found out where the tabs had to go. The ones attached to the engine are fine, but the ones that go to the frame had to be shortened a lot, and on the one side flipped around.
But I got everything made last night for the box and even picked up some rubber strips from work to help provide some cushioning for the battery, so everything is on track.

Bending the box:

IMG_9082.JPG

All the pieces cut out and ready for welding:

IMG_9084.JPG

I have yet to drill the holes in the bottom panel but will do that tomorrow night hopefully.
On my lunch break today I will try and weld up the box.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
I did end up getting it welded yesterday, and although it isn't the prettiest it will do nicely I think. I have yet to test fit it but looks like everything welded nice and straight which is a bonus.
I will clean it up a bit more tonight and then get ready to spray it with truck bed liner.

The battery box in all its "glory":

IMG_9101.JPG

IMG_9100.JPG

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lookin good.
Don't forget drain holes of some sort.
Don't want water to accumulate in there for sure...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Lookin good.
Don't forget drain holes of some sort.
Don't want water to accumulate in there for sure...
Thanks!
Yup I just finished drilling them a little while ago. I did about 25 holes so it should provide plenty of drainage. Just waiting for the paint to dry now.

Reactions: jayseamtl

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
I saw this one coming by on Facebook.
Inspiration for your fender idea.

Sent with Tapatalk
I like it! Although I don't know how practical it would be with all those cutouts lol
I like how with the mono-shock and frame cut away you can see the whole rear tire. With parts of the frame covering the hugger for me, I don't think I'll need to go this extreme in detail, but it definitely does serve for inspiration so thanks Volaussie!! :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
No worries, mate
It's pretty rad and impractical. Your layered idea would work out better.
Although I think you should layer an other part of your bike for balance. Or it could look more awesome than the rest :)

Sent with Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
No worries, mate
It's pretty rad and impractical. Your layered idea would work out better.
Although I think you should layer an other part of your bike for balance. Or it could look more awesome than the rest :)

Sent with Tapatalk
I must say though, it is unique which I like about it!
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but I can't think of anything else to layer like that :p I might just end up cutting the plastic one that was attached to the air box though as it is cheap and simple.

201 - 220 of 997 Posts