Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
594 Posts
Now I want another CX to do this to LOL
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I've owned four in the past three years. Currently three in the garage.

I just keep asking myself "what was I thinking"?....

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I've owned four in the past three years. Currently three in the garage.

Very, very good point! I never thought I'd get the "just-one-more-CX" bug either, but now that I see how many different styles, color combos, etc.... you can make with these bikes I do believe I have caught the bug haha. You gotta admit though....it is kinda fun. Expensive, time consuming and frusturating..........but fun :p

Reactions: flyinelvis

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #185

·
Registered
387 Posts

I have found one to be enough. Not enough Bike though, I want a first gen M900, another GS850g to migrate parts off my dead one to, a Gold Star, and a new FZ09 as a daily rider...Maybe the "new" Zook GSX750s...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
What? Another one?! Haha

I think it's a nice contrast and not too dominant because we lack frame under the engine.
Yeah you can never have too many bikes lol. But I think the next one I get (when I have the money and insurance doesn't cost more than the bike) will be a Ninja 650r in white and black. Love the look of that bike!

My thoughts exactly!

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
I've always liked the look of the Ducati Diavel, even though it is a bit of an oddball.

ducati_diavel_exhaust_scproject_auspuff_diavel.jpg

One thing that really struck my eye was the license plate holder though. It is so....different. I really liked it but wasn't sure how it would look on the CX. Well, recently I was browsing FezMonki's thread and he brought to light a CX built over in Italy that someone had created a license plate mount that was similar to the Ducati's. I loved it!

cx500-2b.jpg

So the gears immeditalty started to spin in my head on how I could make something similar. Then it struck me, why not put the tail lights, rear fender and licence plate all on the rear sub assembly. So I mocked up a side profile to see what it would look like and I think I like it. Will take some work to get it right, but once done it should blend in nicely with the rest of the bike hopefully.

Rear Fender.png

So what I am wondering is if you guys can think of any reasons not to go this route or some potential problems with mounting it on the rear axle nut? Or if you hate the idea let me know....but I think it's cool and will set it apart from lots of the other bikes out there. I know I am not really going for the classic "cafe racer" style anymore, but it's okay, I'd rather do something a bit different anyways :D

Reactions: jayseamtl

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
I'd be a little concerned about vibration, having it on the unsprung part of the bike. But if you stick with LEDs, it should be OK.

R
Oh yeah I didn't think of that, good point Randell. Maybe if I add some rubber dampening that will help to ease the vibrations too.
I was looking at the final drive and I think I will attach it to the bottom shock mount as well as the axle bolt. It'll stop it from twisting while making it easier to make too hopefully.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Go for it! Make 2...

Seriously going to challenge my kid to take a crack at it. It's what he does and does it so well.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Go for it! Make 2...

Seriously going to challenge my kid to take a crack at it. It's what he does and does it so well.
Lol I'll be lucky if I can somehow magically make 1 :p

But yeah exactly, what's the fun in never trying. It's the challenging stuff that feels all the better when you finish it and all the hard work pays off.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Annnnnnnd we're back on the go with the actual build. The weather is getting worse and worse and since I would like to finish this bike before I go back to school in January (like that will happen lol) I am starting back on the mods.
I changed the oil and filter last night for the winter just so the nasty stuff wasn't sitting in there all the time. Started to get materials and whatnot and am working on getting the rear hoop bent at work. First thing I would like to do is disassembly so over the next couple weeks that is what I'll be doing hopefully.

Just a bad quality picture from last night of the (re)start of the modifications:

IMG_9015.JPG

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Micah! I really appreciate your friendly and enthusiastic style here on the forum.

I took your tank mockups as a template and did some different versions for you. I hope that they please and do not offend.

I took an idea from Mike's build, and blew the Honda wing up bigger, and dragged it off the tank a bit. No need for the "Honda" under the wing, the bike has Hondas all over it already

In another post you mentioned that your bike has a mix of gloss, semi, and matte black. If you want a slightly punk or ratrod feel, how about gloss and matte stripes? If you use the stripes I want to see a picture of you riding it, sneering, and flipping off the camera.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Hey Micah! I really appreciate your friendly and enthusiastic style here on the forum.

I took your tank mockups as a template and did some different versions for you. I hope that they please and do not offend.

I took an idea from Mike's build, and blew the Honda wing up bigger, and dragged it off the tank a bit. No need for the "Honda" under the wing, the bike has Hondas all over it already

In another post you mentioned that your bike has a mix of gloss, semi, and matte black. If you want a slightly punk or ratrod feel, how about gloss and matte stripes? If you use the stripes I want to see a picture of you riding it, sneering, and flipping off the camera.
Hey thanks chaetophile! Just trying to give back to some of the amazing people on here lol.

No I'm not offended at all!! In fact, I am impressed by your design skills a lot, they surpass mine for sure lol. You definitely have an eye for making things look good!

I actually like that wing design a LOT more than the small one with the logo, it definitely makes it look more like a custom paint job then a stock one. Plus like you said there are enough logos already on the bike lol.

The vertical stripes I'm not too gone on, just because I don't know how well they'll blend into the rest of the bike, but I do love the idea of having gloss and matte colors though! I just don't know how I can get both matte and gloss if I do a clear coat afterwards. Any ideas how to get something like that, or is it only possible if there isn't a clear coat over it?

I am working on a design I think most people will like which incorporates some stripes (sort of)........but I am trying to keep it under wraps lol. Maybe I should post it up and see what everyone thinks though?

Thanks for the designs and ideas, they are very professional to say the least and I might be sneaking some of the ideas into the final design if that's okay haha.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
So after thinking about the rear fender/license plate holder, I want to attach it to the axle bolt and the shock mount for added support and stability.
Here is something like what I am thinking:

Rear Fender 2.png

·
Registered
231 Posts
Your plate-holder/fender design looks great to me! If you have a solid seat pan, it looks like it will actually function as a fender, except perhaps it might spray on the backs of your legs.

Regarding the matte/shiny combo, I would spray the whole thing matte, mask off the pattern you want, and finish with gloss clear. The exposed matte paint will go gray over time, but that's not a bad look either. If it's garage kept it will stay a looooooong time. If there is a truly matte clearcoat on the market I haven't found it yet. High heat matte black for barbecues works nicely on metal, but you have to bake it...if you have already rust-coated the inside of your tank, baking isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Your plate-holder/fender design looks great to me! If you have a solid seat pan, it looks like it will actually function as a fender, except perhaps it might spray on the backs of your legs.

Regarding the matte/shiny combo, I would spray the whole thing matte, mask off the pattern you want, and finish with gloss clear. The exposed matte paint will go gray over time, but that's not a bad look either. If it's garage kept it will stay a looooooong time. If there is a truly matte clearcoat on the market I haven't found it yet. High heat matte black for barbecues works nicely on metal, but you have to bake it...if you have already rust-coated the inside of your tank, baking isn't a good idea.
Thanks! Yeah it should help a bit, and the plan is to have a solid seat pan, but I may also be putting a hugger module to stop stuff from being spray at the pods and rear of the engine.

Oh yeah that should work good! I've seen a few matte clears but the only one I have had experience with is the rim stuff which seems to be holding good. I have heard about a 2k matte clear but haven't looked into it yet so maybe that might be an option too.
The bake on paint would work as I haven't rust coated the tank yet, but I don't think it would fit in my oven lol.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Started disassembly last night and I must say, I love working on this bike :toothy10: Everything is so easy to get to and take apart, I had the rear stripped in 2 hours.
With everything off I can start to see the final build a bit more. Looking at the curves and lines to see what would look best and just having fun picturing all the things I get to do to it.

How I left the bike last night:

IMG_9067.JPG

Picturing the seat and tail assembly in my head:

IMG_9071.JPG

And now onto another idea.... the rear tire hugger. I wasn't going to put one one to begin with, but after seeing how open it is without the air box I soon realized I need to come up with something. I know you can go out and buy one for the CX but I don't like how far back it sits from the tire and the shape of it. Plus it's expensive and I like cheap things lol.
So a quick search brought up this guys CX650 project (which looks amazing) but more importantly, has a beautiful hugger that he made. I am thinking something like this should work perfectly, I just need to find a way to make it haha.

DSC09017_zps3ddc0582.jpg

and I had a different idea a while ago but wasn't sure what it would look like.......then I found this image....................

ScaledTireHugger.jpg

181 - 200 of 997 Posts