Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my forks were in pretty good shape, I've changed the fork oil each year I've had the bike and I rebuilt them the first year I got it. The cx got rained on this past tuesday (poured on actually, very heavy thunderstorm came through while the bike was parked outside at my work) so it got thoroughly drenched. I didn't ride it at all weds as it was rain and thunder all day, and then rode it again thursday (40 mile round trip to/from work). When I got home yesterday my left fork was dripping with a gray, watery oil. My first thought was leaking fork seal, but it's only 3 years old plus the oil was REALLY watery. I wiped it all down and rode it again today and there was zero leakage when I got to work (20 miles). So.....what happened?

Did the rain somehow build up between the fork seal and the cover? (I had a bit of grease on top of the seal over winter and havent cleaned it out yet)

Is the seal leaking but just leaked enough to make the fork low on oil, and now the remainder isn't going to leak anymore?

Other ideas?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My first thought is what you said, the rain water got under the dust cover and mixed with the grease you had in there, or the fork leg had a thin coat of grease on it and the rain water mixed with that. Keep an eye on it, but to be sure you can jack the bike up while on the center stand so the front wheel is clear of the ground and remove the fork caps; Check oil level in both forks and if not the same you have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got home just now and it is definitely a leak.  Only 3 years old so maybe my replacement seal wasn't in right or maybe it was just cheap.  Either way looks like I'll be replacing them, and I'm going to do the dust seals as well since those are original.  Looking at the parts numbers the 79 and 80 should be interchangeable, correct?  TAS has a kit but only lists it as fitting the 80 and 81, but I'm nearly sure it's the same thing.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Are you 100% certain it's a leak.I've just done a fork seal for something I'm doing.If whoever did the seal before followed the instructions in the manual they may,as you should,pack the top of the seal under the dust cover with grease.This helps prevent the tops of the seals drying out.

The rain water may have just got to some of that?

If you do need new seals use a good Brand e.g Honda/Pyramid or,"Japanese Quality".

As you know I've had no bad stuff off Georgefix on Ebay,

http://stores.ebay.com/GEORGEFIXS-MOTORCYCLE-PARTS/_i.html?_nkw=cx500&submit=Search&_sid=59877813

and I'm using Wemotos at the moment,

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/CX_500_A/79-80/

where you can check your model etc.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll give it a few more rides and miles to see, could be it's just the water but I'm thinking seal because it's only 1 leg, if it was water I'd think it'd be both? I do like Georgefix, he really is just about the best ebayer out there.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I'll give it a few more rides and miles to see, could be it's just the water but I'm thinking seal because it's only 1 leg, if it was water I'd think it'd be both? I do like Georgefix, he really is just about the best ebayer out there.

One of my Dust boots has a very small hair-line crack.It used to let water in until I found the wonderful,"Shoe Goo".Thin smear inside,problem gone

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shoe-Goo-Shoe-r...273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad8b7f991

It's kept my riding boots going for another season as well(Money is tight)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do you ride ... is it dusty?

What do your forks look like, any dents or pits?
Not much dust here in the north east, and the forks are perfect looking, zero dents or pits of any sort. My dust seals need replacing, I hadn't really looked at them until this leak but they are both cracked and hardened, if they are supposed to be rubber they are more like hard plastic (not sure what they should be like brand new).

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.