Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Can somebody explain this? Flluctuations in MPG>>>

900 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  TimBucTwo 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm now doubting myself and I really cannot understand why I'm getting substantially different numbers. I usually fill up when I reach 130-ish miles regardless of whether I get to reserve or not. Today I filled after 100 miles. Always fill with the bike on centerstand, try to stop at the same level every time. The last few times I've remembered to check my MPG's it was around 40. Today it was 47. Same exact riding, commute to work and back at the same speeds on the same roads. So am I doing something wrong when I calculate or do you think it really could be correct calculations and the bike itself is really fluctuating that much? 7 miles per gallon seems to be too large a difference?

Confused....

#2 ·
Replace sparkplugs or any ignition parts? A tune up would make that much of a differance. Last question do you buy your gas at the same gas station? 47 mpg sounds not to bad for commuting . Cheers

#3 ·
do you ride with the choke on ?

I would record your tank fills and mileage and then average it over a month to get a real-world average mileage . I think you are over thinking this . gas up and ride ......

Reactions: soggz68
#6 ·
Don't overthink it, just enjoy the ride. There's different days, seasons, heavy hand on the throttle days, whatever. Look at the stats for my main CX500 ride over several years :

Text Blue Font Line Number

the increasing mileage is simple tuning up over time and adding the fairing. The rest is variation in trip / road / wheather / top up level / whatever.

The graph itself comes from a spreadsheet I keep for all bikes and vehicles in residence, not because I'm interested in exactly how much fuel they use, more for comparing and changes after modification or other work. Just look at the long term running average if anything.

#7 ·
Less traffic. There's always lots of factors the real question is how to bump up the lower mpg. Do you have your idle set higher? On the Supertanker it liked a higher idle so in traffic at lights I got a lot less mpg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.