Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I currently have a leaky MC, was looking at the price of the rebuild kits and new diaphragms and realized that some brand new MC's were about as much money and a lot less hassle. My bike has a angled reservoir, but I have seen these MC's recommended before. Its not angled but people seem to have success with it - do I need to worry about it not being angled?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...10577866303&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

So I emailed the seller and he said he carries this one that has an angled reservoir. Problem is the piston size is smaller, so I was not sure it would work with my CX. Anyone have any thoughts about either of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120615530200&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
381 Posts
So I emailed the seller and he said he carries this one that has an angled reservoir. Problem is the piston size is smaller, so I was not sure it would work with my CX. Anyone have any thoughts about either of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120615530200&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I believe it will work. I further believe that the comment he makes in his ad is for folks with Yamahas who want to use that MC... they will need an adaptor for their mirror. I don't think you will.

I bought a MC from this same seller earlier this year that was advertised as fitting a Yamaha and I put it on my GL500. The bike doesn't seem to know the difference.

BTW, this would be a great time to upgrade your brake line to stainless steel.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I believe the smaller piston size should actually improve your braking. That is assuming you have the single disk like me. I did some research into the matter, and Im pretty sure it will be a better match.

I have one, but my bike isnt currently moving, so I cant really tell you how well its stopping.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just installed the angled MC from with a brake line from JDA. They work out great, I need to bleed it a bit more for the feel, but i's pretty good.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Smaller piston means more lever travel to pump the same amount of fluid. Slight variations aren't a problem, you just have to get used to them as I did when I designed, manufactured and sold 12" front brake upgrades for the '98 - '02 Pontiac Grand Prixs. A 12" rotor was available from an Olds Intrigue that was a perfect fit and, with some fairly simple machine tool modification the brackets and dual-piston calipers from the LS1 Camaros/Firebirds would fit on the existing caliper brackets. The only problem was the dual piston calipers need a bit more fluid to operate so pedal travel was silghtly increased.

Likewise an MC with a larger piston will require less lever travel but more pressure with the hand.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It doesn't really matter if the master cylinder you buy is "angled" or not AS LONG AS you make sure that there is enough fluid in it so that no matter how far it is angled down that the fluid covers the little holes in the bottom of it.

I have the very angled "Buckhorn" bars with the normal M/C and it's just fine. I believe my bars are now angled down even a bit more towards the seat than this pic depicts w/no problems:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I was worried that the angle would make it more likely to leak, the angles one is less expensive though and more closely matches what I have . Thanks for the info on the piston size, that was the thing I certainly did not want to screw around with unawares

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I just installed the angled MC from with a brake line from JDA. They work out great, I need to bleed it a bit more for the feel, but i's pretty good.

Just keep in mind that with the SS brake line you're not gonna get much of a "feel". In other words very little lever travel before pads are TOTALLY squeezed together....didn't matter how much bleeding I did and from what I understand that's normal for the SS line. I couldn't stand it so I put my old rubber line back on and I once again have the "feel".

Just FYI and to each his/her own.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just keep in mind that with the SS brake line you're not gonna get much of a "feel". In other words very little lever travel before pads are TOTALLY squeezed together....didn't matter how much bleeding I did and from what I understand that's normal for the SS line. I couldn't stand it so I put my old rubber line back on and I once again have the "feel".

Just FYI and to each his/her own.

I've already got the SS brake line, seems to still have a "feel" though I do know what you mean, there is a little less give.

I am going to get the angled one and see how it goes - thanks for al the info guys.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts