Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to reface my gauges but when I look at how they are assembled, I think maybe a professional should do it

Is there an easy way to get them apart or am I dreaming?

Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
The way seen here can be a real pain in the ass. You have to take a small screwdriver and work your way around the back half of the gauge prying it up till it clears all the way around.

If you find this is to hard for you just cut the chrome ring with a hacksaw at the underside of the gauge.

Some have been known to take and drill two holes in the ring and use good wire to pull it back together. Or wrap it with tape. or but glue like gorilla glue in the ring and get a large hose clap on hit to hold it in place as the glue dries. I have done all of these methods. Tape is the easiest.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/black-side-down-replacing-Honda-CB-face-plates.aspx

·
Registered
309 Posts
"Is there an easy way to get them apart or am I dreaming?"

I`ve just the very same thing with a troublesome tacho. Here.

I use a nut & bolt to box it back up.

BTW, has anyone removed the needle from the shaft?

Is it keyed in any way so that it only goes back on in one position?

If not, i would think extra care must be taken to ensure it goes back in exactly the same position as it came off so that the gauge reads the same at any particular road/engine speed (relationship between needle/shaft & taking spring preload into account)

·
Super Moderator
23,718 Posts
I would like to know how to remove the indicator needle from it's mounting shaft.

When I was rebuilding my CB450 I fitted a set of 500T instruments which were functional but had crazed faces.

I had no problems dismantling them by unpicking the flange ring and reassembling them by recrimping the flange ring.

What I couldn't work out was how to remove the indicator needle so the face could be lifted off. I didn't want to use too much force and break something but nothing I tried was successful so I ended up repainting the faces.

It's probably quite simple.... but how?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I would like to know how to remove the indicator needle from it's mounting shaft.

When I was rebuilding my CB450 I fitted a set of 500T instruments which were functional but had crazed faces.

I had no problems dismantling them by unpicking the flange ring and reassembling them by recrimping the flange ring.

What I couldn't work out was how to remove the indicator needle so the face could be lifted off. I didn't want to use too much force and break something but nothing I tried was successful so I ended up repainting the faces.

It's probably quite simple.... but how?

I can´t tell for sure, but if these instruments are somewhat like the instruments (Piaggio scooters + a Chevy Bel Air - 60) I fiddled with 45 years ago, I believe the needle should come right off (more or less).

If so - the best way to make sure the alignment won´t be disturbed would be to mark the underside "metal cup", lined up with something in its vicinity when the needle is resting against its stop. Then lift the needle away, trying not to disturb the cup. Reassemble in exactly the same position. Also make sure the thin spring hasn´t been disturbed - not minus or plus one turn.

Just off the top of my head - it may very well be slightly different. I´ll check if there isn´t a broken speedo I can test on, in my garage.

Sture

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I have ran into 3 different types of needles. The one on the right of this picture has a ball head that pushes into it.

I have learned to use a fork to remove the needles but on this ball head needle it doesn't work. The two other needles I have ran into have thin needle like piece sticking out from the gauge. These are easy to remove with a fork. But you still have to be gentle with them.

Here's some pictures I found of a speedometer apart.

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=202812.html

This is similar to the ball head except design. Except think of the ball head design like a small screw. There's a small shaft and then a head that is concealed by the speedo needle.

the other needles are like this.

They just push on to the pin sticking out of the speedo. But to answer your other question. No there isn't any marker on the needle or the speedometer to set it back into the exact spot it came. I have a corded drill that seems to be able to run up the speedometer to about 64mph. When I reset a needle I push it down lightly in a particular area and then test it. If it isn't right I move it and test again till I get several tests reflecting the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,718 Posts
That's good info Stitch, thankyou.

It appears the needles would have come off if I'd pried a little harder but I obviously ran out of cojones.

I ordered these particular instruments off ebay and wasn't sent the set pictured in the ad. The pair in the ad had good paint, good faces, mounts, idiot lights and a trip reset knob, unlike the set I actually received. Was not impressed.

EDIT,--- Thanks also for the additional link. Those look like early 70s gauges just like the standard 450 items. I doubt if the 500T instruments are very different except for the slightly larger size. Now..... where do you get the replacement instrument graphics...hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
From Stitch:

I have a corded drill that seems to be able to run up the speedometer to about 64mph.

Good idea! I´ve done the same with instruments from eBay. I´ve forgotten the exact readings, but I always check speedos and tachs, comparing them to a pair with good readings.

It would even be possible to adjust a speedo, this way, when it´s on the bench. I know that most of my speedos are showing something like 8 kph / 5 mph too much at 5000 rpm.

It should be 90 kph, but the meters show just under 100. Also checked against mobile radars.

After a couple of trial and error attempts, running it with that drill it should be possible to adjust tem to be a lot more accurate. As far as I´ve seen the misreading seems to be pretty much the same, all over the scale. Repositioning the needle a little ought to take care of most of it.

Of the bikes I´ve owned recently, only one (a CM 400 T) had an honest speedo. 50 on the scale was the same on the radar. 90 also. When I was riding that one, 50 kph felt much faster than it did on the others. Not surprising!

And what´s the good with going 43 when 50 is allowed?? Or 82 @ 90??

Sture

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
when the needle is at the stop, the in the needle is on will rotate past the stop after the needle is removed. this is a tricky process, best solution is probably a drill. i did it a different way, but its hard to explain and there is a high risk of not assembling properly again

but yes, they are able to be changed around.

Mine:

·
Registered
155 Posts
NightBiker07 - killer gauge faces! Everytime I think I'm caught up on my projects you guys do this to me!

I may have shared this story before - here's the short version:

Needle fell off tach - I dissasembled and glued it back on. Then wondered if I got in the right place.

While riding I remembered what the RPM was at 55mph.

Bout the time I hit 55mph (in a 30mph zone) I saw the officer in the middle of the road waving me down!

I told him " You wouldn't believe me - just write me up!"

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Blue also told me a sure fire way to check speed.

Run the speedometer by drill for one mile on the odometer. Take the amount of seconds it takes and divide 3600 into it.

3600/X = mph.

Then you can use two drills. I use a smaller cordless one that averages 13mph. This way you can find the error.

I ran one gauge today that was 2 miles slow on the low end and 2 miles fast on the high end.

I have another one that is 13 miles slow on the low side and dead on at 65.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Oops... CX500 Custom

Thanks for all the replies!

The reason we have to ask is because if you said a cx standard then that's a whole other can of worms to get into. If I ever have to do another one of them I will cut the gauge housing all the way around in a place that isn't visible and separated.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Is there a 'Go To' place for gauge stickers?

No. you have to find a graphics guy that knows that he is doing, talk to him and go from there. He will most likely need your gauge plates to make matching markings, then whatever designs you want can be added. It wont be cheap either, mine weren't.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
As Sture mentioned.

With the latest speedometer I was working on I took an electric engraver and turned the needle to a certain MPH. Lets say 60mph. And then I turned it around and used the engraver to mark the magnetic bell housing and the frame of the speedo. Then I could come back and use that point if I wished.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
While we are talking gauges...

My speedo has a big hole in the side where something once was... the trip button.

I can't see how it worked (this is a new bike for me).

Did it push? Turn?

I can see a pin inside.

I assume there is a part missing :-(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.