Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the CX carbs be used in place of the GL500 I carbs?

I have an 82 GL500 Interstate that the air/needle screws heads are broken off and the needles stuck. (I may be able to get these out and repair the carbs but am thinking of backup plan)

I am wondering if I can use CX carb bodies so long as I retain the GL manifolds, gas crossover tubes, and brackets.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
It depends on what model CX carbs your going to use. It would have to be a set with the accelerator pump. The early Std. style has a bigger vinturi and the shafts probably wouldn't fit right.

Changing the over would require changing all the throttle shafts and choke shafts. But you would have to be sure to mark the throttle plates with a scribe line so they go in precisely. Otherwise you'll end up with vacuum signal issues. Use a light behind the plates to make sure they are aligned properly.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Larry - it looks like the CX carbs would be more work than it's worth. Do you think one would run into some of the same issues using GL Carbs on the GL interstate. So far from what I can tell the Interstate carbs may be closer togather than the Standard GL carbs. Would this require pretty much the same effort as using CX carbs.

It still may be possible for me to get the broken air screws out - I'm just looking at more options.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You can always try to patient and do what I've done at times. Set up a saved search on eBay then keep checking it everyday for the new listings. When you see someone starting to part out the exact same bike use the "Ask the Seller a Question" link to see if they still have the carbs.

So many people part these bikes out just partially or they only list a few items at a time as they pull them off.

Alternately you could always find a small machine shop near you that might be able to do the job for you. I used to have a really nice and inexpensive guy out on the edge of town but once the GM plant moved out he lost a ton of business and now charges a fortune for even the smallest favors. I ended up finding another small shop that's very customer friendly and extremely good on price.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Pretty much the same thing. If you want to save some headaches you could send the carb to me and I'll get the screw out. I have the special tap to clean out the threads too. I just did a set for Dave last month that had the same problem. Just cover the shipping.

Sometimes they will come out after soaking it with penetrating oil for a day or two and then drill it and use an easy out. But if it won't move don't force it. Broken easy outs are a paint to get out. I did 3 last month.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
In all honesty I'd take Larry up on his deal, he'd not only be able to get the things out but he could certainly spot anything else that needs attention.

If I recall a set of carbs will fit into one of the larger flat rate USPS boxes so you're going to win all the way around.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Thanks Marshall for the vote of confidence. And the carbs will fit in the medium size priority box for $10.80 3 day shipping. But if you do it, put a tracking # on it during this time of year.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Thanks Harold. Uhh, I mean Allen. Just shows how long we've been here!
I misread the question earlier. Your right, both style of GL carbs will work. For some reason I had GL650 pop in my head.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Larry, one of these days you'll probably end up getting a set of carbs from me to go through. What I've got right now were either well taken care of or rebuilt properly at some point in time. Only 12K on the bike and it runs like a top. I'll probably do what I do with some of the other parts, find an exact extra set I can send in so I won't be out of any riding time. It really has hurt not being able to ride this year but I had my health to deal with and thanks to OldOkie we're getting every one of the finer points of the restoration done, just waiting for a good run of warm weather to do all the painting. He's gone so far out of his way to help me I can't thank him enough but I've figured out a few ways to help repay him with some tools he could probably use around his shop. Over all this time I've found a real friend, we were reminiscing about hunting dogs last night over the phone even though I don't hunt anymore and I don't think he does either.

I can strip, etch prime and primer/seal up at work (which I've been doing) but there's no way I can spray all the basecoat/clearcoat stuff in the building or the smell will permeate the place despite having large exhaust fans upstairs in my shop area. Come spring or a lucky run of above 60° days I might be able to drive the tank and sides out to his shop and do them there but it's an entire uninterrupted day's worth of work to shoot all the paint along with putting the decals on after the fourth coat of clear then hitting them again with another two coats. If the temperatures are right it may only take me a day to do it but one really needs to have several days of consistently warm temperatures for everything to set up hard. If you mix, reduce & catalyze the painting materials correctly you hopefully end up with a finish that needs nothing more than a light polishing compound to finish the job but I doubt I'm telling you anything new. :)

I'm so looking forward to having it back on the road but I'll be darned if I'm going to let some of the employees at work "borrow it" for a spin around the block as I used to back when it was basically a beater. A few have or have had Harleys, Kawasaki Vulcans and who knows what else but everyone that's ever taken this thing out have been absolutely amazed at the way it runs. A couple have accused me of having substituted a larger engine in it but all I can tell them is it's the factory 500cc back when they built motorcycles that really ran and this was one of the most amazing ever produced by Honda.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the 81 GL's will work. Let me know what you would like to have for them and we can go from there. You can send info via PM if you like or just post.

Thanks,

Mike

_____

Larry,

Thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on this. I put your Carb book on my Christmas wish list so I should be getting it. If Santa don't bring it I'll be on the link on Dec 26th. If I remember correctly you also sell some rebuild kits?

On GL, #1 I've cleaned the carbs and the first start of the day is not easy 15 or so hits on the red button. Choke is hooked up and moves the butter flys correctly. I've seen your post about covering the air intake with hand - well that turns the first start of the day into 1 press of the button. Guess I didn't get those carbs so clean after all!

Cheers,

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts