Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I have a question about my bike and was hoping that someone might be able to help me out with it. I have a cx500 which has an avon MKII front tyre on it. I don't know about the MOT requirements for a mudguard though so it might not be needed at all. But because of the overly large front tyre I am certain the stock mudguard will not fit on there. If it is not needed should I get a fork brace? I am very lost on what to do. I have seen a lot of people in England with set ups that have no mudguard on the front or back and I assume if it is dry it won't be a problem. Can someone please help me?

Best

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
While mudguards are not actually covered by the MoT test, they are still a legal requirement. Those running without mudguards in the UK are therefore in breach of the law. Ever ridden a bicycle without mudguards? Oh yes, it looks cool, but ride through some wet muck on a country lane (sometimes unavoidable if you don't live in a big city), and you'll soon wish you had them!

·
Super Moderator
14,786 Posts
Are you talking about an Avon Speedmaster Mk II or a Safety Mileage Mk II? If it is an SM it is not suitable for use on the front of the bike. Best case the handling will be crap. Worst case....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you talking about an Avon Speedmaster Mk II or a Safety Mileage Mk II? If it is an SM it is not suitable for use on the front of the bike. Best case the handling will be crap. Worst case....
Couldn't agree more. The MKII SM 500-16 is OK on the rear but the 4.00-19 is not a good tyre if you want to do anything stable over 30mph. I swapped mine out for a Dunlop K70 - 350-19 I think. You get to keep the look and have far better handling. That being said, they are vintage tyres and the bike should be ridden accordingly, don't expect to thrash it about on corners like you could with radials. Just my two cents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts