Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok these are starting to show up a lot more on the streets around here. Was wondering what you think or know about them?

I sat on one at a motorcycle show last year, was kinda cool, but never tested one on the road. Anybody here have one?

What gets me is, the price. Supposedly made in Canada (Valcourt QB) yet on the Canadian website they are about $3000

more per model than in the U.S.A. And "our" dollar is suppose to be higher in exchange rate? (end rant)

Anyway, last year I saw a guy really working it through the corners, looking much like when riding a snowmobile as far

as effort to turn. So are they a chore to ride or as easy as a real 2 wheel motorcycle? Apparently you can get your

motorcycle certification license on one. Here is a link to their website Can Am Spyder

Pricing starts at, RS $16,500 US ($19,300 CDN), RT $21,400 US ($24,900 CDN)

The one at the show $30,000+ CDN and had a matching trailer for $5,000

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think those things are Darwin's idea of a good joke.

Stay away from them. I talked to a guy who saw someone roll one over on a curve, and I guess it wasn't pretty. Leaning a cycle is a good thing... I would much rather low-side crash on a two-wheeler than to have a roll-over-high-side crash on that beast. I can't even imagine having that happen. -- Sure, they say they have traction control and "stability" control systems... but they are still a backward trike. They want to roll over. It's just physics.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks to a local dealer they've become popular where I live. A random stranger I met in a parking lot told me to take his up and down the street a couple of times. So I did! Took a little getting used to. It feels like a bike, except I felt stupid when I came to a stop and instinctively put my foot down - unnecessary on 3 wheels! It was also counterintuitive for me to STEER rather than countersteer like I'm used to. Plus the lack of a rear brake pedal (it's all linked through the right lever).

I didn't quite get used to it during my short jaunt, but over time I suppose I would. I prefer my 2-wheeler, but considering that this particular Spyder had a disabled veteran license plate, I imagine the owner isn't quite in shape for a 2-wheeler, and this is a great option to keep him riding.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I think those things are Darwin's idea of a good joke.

Stay away from them. I talked to a guy who saw someone ......

I want more than just third or fourth hand stories... so I looked up "can am spyder crash test" on google, and there's a lot of things I can't get to on this computer- but it's worth a look, and there's a lot of results.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I want more than just third or fourth hand stories... so I looked up "can am spyder crash test" on google, and there's a lot of things I can't get to on this computer- but it's worth a look, and there's a lot of results.
From my perspective, that's a first person eye-witness to a crash. Just letting you know.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I plain don't like the look and they do appear as if they wouldn't be anywhere near as agile as a regular bike or a good car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I rode (pointed it down the road) my friend's last Saturday. I must say that I really did NOT like it. Going into a corner you feel like you need to really slow right down as it feels like it is going to flip over. Also we were going down some of the secondary highways that in need of repaving (not total beat up) and with the three wheels there is absolutely no way to avoid a pothole with it. When we hit spots where there was a noticeable crown on the road the lean was something you really felt. Not comfortable at all. Was not impressed at all.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The price difference boils down to taxes, has nothing to do with the strength of the dollar!

For the price you could get (or almost get) 2 new bikes, a cruiser and a sport bike perhaps, or a sport tourer and a dual purpose...........

.......or 10 nice CX's

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
From my perspective, that's a first person eye-witness to a crash. Just letting you know.
But from MY perspective- someone saw it happen, told you- and now you're passing it along too. So I never heard/ read anything firsthand
(insert yahoo msgr emoticon or eyelash batting here) LOL

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
For less money you could come home with one of these instead:

No contest unless you have a physical ailment which prohibits 2 wheels.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For less money you could come home with one of these instead:

No contest unless you have a physical ailment which prohibits 2 wheels.

BMW's K1600 GTL is priced at $29,000 here, and are sold out currently, with next available in the fall.

But what I am referring to is the concept, not comparing what you "could" get like 10 nice CX's or a cruiser and a Enduro,

etc. My reason is for a friend who can no longer handle 2 wheels, but enjoys the "open" air experience. So is it a

conventional 2 rear wheel trike or one of these 2 front wheel trike thingamabobs? I know the full dress RT is equipped

very nice and comfy for 2 up, so anybody have real "1st hand" time on one?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
BMW's K1600 GTL is priced at $29,000 here, and are sold out currently, with next available in the fall.

But what I am referring to is the concept, not comparing what you "could" get like 10 nice CX's or a cruiser and a Enduro,

etc. My reason is for a friend who can no longer handle 2 wheels, but enjoys the "open" air experience. So is it a

conventional 2 rear wheel trike or one of these 2 front wheel trike thingamabobs? I know the full dress RT is equipped

very nice and comfy for 2 up, so anybody have real "1st hand" time on one?

At a wide stance and some of the other comments, I'm wondering if I had to make the choice, if I wouldn't go with a nice convertible mid-life crisis mobile in fire engine ticket me red instead of the CA Spyder.

The local BMW bike dealer has a few on his floor, silver GTL 1600 has a sticker or $23,200 and a real purdy red GT 1600 for a nip over $20k. I don't know if they'll deal, probably not, new models are usually take it or leave it at sticker, they'll probably throw in some BMW riding junk in for "free" at the most. Let me know which one you want, I'll be happy to ride it up and deliver to you for a defrayment of costs.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have had a modern Morgan three wheeler layout in my head for 15 years some day I'll scratch build it. Hayabusa in the rear for power (yes I know the original Morgan had a front engine). The Can-am is selling around here (Michigan) I see a number of them on the roads and riding in small groups. I also see a fair number for sale with very low mileage meaning they are being sold soon after purchase. I have never ridden one.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
28 Posts
Morgan is making a the 3 wheeler again.. wish I could get one, I love these cars.

To bad you would have to where a helmet if you drive one here in Michigan.

http://www.morgan3wheeler.co.uk

I have had a modern Morgan three wheeler layout in my head for 15 years some day I'll scratch build it. Hayabusa in the rear for power (yes I know the original Morgan had a front engine). The Can-am is selling around here (Michigan) I see a number of them on the roads and riding in small groups. I also see a fair number for sale with very low mileage meaning they are being sold soon after purchase. I have never ridden one.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At a wide stance and some of the other comments, I'm wondering if I had to make the choice, if I wouldn't go with a nice convertible mid-life crisis mobile in fire engine ticket me red instead of the CA Spyder.

The local BMW bike dealer has a few on his floor, silver GTL 1600 has a sticker or $23,200 and a real purdy red GT 1600 for a nip over $20k. I don't know if they'll deal, probably not, new models are usually take it or leave it at sticker, they'll probably throw in some BMW riding junk in for "free" at the most. Let me know which one you want, I'll be happy to ride it up and deliver to you for a defrayment of costs.

$23,200? man are we (Canadians) getting the tax shaft here. Stephen while I appreciate your offer, I may have to pass

until I check my lotto tickets this weekend.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
$23,200? man are we (Canadians) getting the tax shaft here.

It could be worse, if you lived in Norway it would cost you close to U$60,000 for the same bike. Gas to fill'er up, about U$9.00 a gallon.

·
Registered
511 Posts
These can am crap shoots are for biker wanna bee's or for folks that legitimately have medical issues with balance. As weight is being transfered from rear to front when braking hard and cornering the gyroscopic effect from the rear wheel is significantly comprimised which leaves the front end stabilization and control greatly comprimised and can become extremely unstable and f---ing dangerous. These things should be trashed and anyone thinking about three wheels should go with traditional rear wheel drive trikes. They also look dumb. I hope they all just go away.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.