Honda CX 500 Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,502 Posts
It is always best to try setting things up before you need to sleep in it, if only to make sure everything is there. There's not a lot worse when camping than to discover that a critical part of the tent's frame is missing or you have a couple of pegs or ropes too few....

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
It is always best to try setting things up before you need to sleep in it, if only to make sure everything is there. There's not a lot worse when camping than to discover that a critical part of the tent's frame is missing or you have a couple of pegs or ropes too few....
Yes. I bought extra pegs when I ordered the 12'x12' tarp. I should get some more paracord.
I might not get out until after election day, but I have gear that will keep me warm past 0*F.

The way my 2nd job schedule works from here out:

Presidential Year: 30 weeks of 3 election cycles
Municipal Year: 10 weeks for one election cycle
State Primary and General: 20 weeks
Year before Presidential: No election work.

So, the only really busy year is the Presidential year. I can fit in camping in the other three years. And the year before the Presidential will be good for overseas travel and camping.

I am hoping we can take our England/Scotland trip next year. We will see how the pandemic goes. I've been watching Scottish Youtubers camp on the Lochs in national parks and that looks like fun. They don't catch fish like we do here, even when they put a line in. But it is beautiful.
Also want to spend some summer time in Cape Breton, with the wife's Clan.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
These Roll-Top Dry Saddle-bag, when stuffed properly, filt pretty well.
I can put the Roll-Top duffle on top of them with light bulky rain gear, unstuffed sleeping bag and over jacket, pillow, etc in them. I put a foam pad under the top strap to protect the seat cover.
I have the sissybar/carrier if I want to strap on a small cooler for a couple beers at camp. I took it off my GL500 because I have the trunk on it.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
One of my "extra" pieces of gear is a "game changer", just like the hammock that allows me to motorcycle camp with my bad hip :) (Car camping requires a humongus Coleman inflatable mattress.)

My CPAP and little lithium battery pack and 12v adapter that will run the CPAP for 5 or 6 days. For longer trips, the battery pack can be charged while riding. I have full sized flexible solar panels, but I have been thinking about getting a smaller folding one for motorcycle travel.

·
Super Moderator
14,502 Posts
Do you need a regular pillow because of your sleep issue? If not it may be worth getting a self inflating pillow. Ours roll up and fit in a little bags, total volume for both less than half the space required for one regular pillow.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Hi Bob, Yes. Elevation helps with the apnea. But I will have a lot of "empty" space on the pillion duffle so a pillow is a bulky, light thing I can put in it. I have an inflatable zafu (Zen sitting cushion) which makes a pretty good pillow too. I got a Klymit pillow for free that I keep in the GL650's "city" saddlebags. Thanks!

I just saw that the smaller original Amok Hammocks are back in stock the Norwegian company's web site. Maybe the XLs will be in stock in November. I had to order mine from Japan.

Amok Draumur Hammocks

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
So, we are in Duluth and the North Shore for 3 days (we try to travel in the middle of the week to avoid weekend "Up North" traffic). Staying at a Motel 6 have stayed at before. Got a room with a 'Fridge, since we aren't eating at restaurants. Also, the heating and air conditioning is not central, but by a unit in the wall below the window, so air flow is isolated. Have a room in the middle of the hall, so there are fewer people walking by our room.

I did research on disinfectants at the CDC site and figured that for travel, a peroxide disinfectant was what would work best. What I bought has no scent, which is a big bonus. It is also good on food because it is non-toxic. Just rinse. You want to rinse your hands after use too. (Link below) I disinfected the entire room including the wood floor (no carpet, a bonus with this budget lodging), including the bath room and the bed linens (I noted at the CDC, that peroxide is used to disinfect patients' linens in the hospital.) Brought two Sham Wows (actually, no-brand German version. See link below) and stepped on them while I sprayed the wood floors and wiped with a wet and dry Sham Wow. Put a towel at the crack of the bottom of the door.
I wiped the linen with a dry Shamwow and they were dry by bedtime.

Made the wife Jean, feel safe. Disinfecting while tent traveling would be minimum.

I also hope to check out campsite suitable for hammock camping, if the parks are not too busy (a friend you visited a couple weeks ago said Gooseberry was packed, so they didn't hkie through there when they were here.)

81 - 88 of 88 Posts