Honda CX 500 Forum banner

221 - 230 of 230 Posts

·
Premium Member
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Thing I found is you get addicted to carrying ones phone , (my job now requires it, ugh) but that is also a good thing as I use the camera on it alot more than my expenisive camera. I wish the companys that make the smart phones would stop updating the blanking things, just get it working the way I want it to and the next update screws it all up again. Now if i could find a flip phone with a excellent camera and drop proof i would be much happier.
I had a fantastic non-smartphone Nokia in Japan with an excellent camera. When my wife left Japan, she turned it in for "recycling." We got it because it was bi-lingual with an English operating system. We thought it would be refurbished and sold as used. But they put it in a claw tool that clamped down and pieced it, rendering it useless. If we would have known that was what they were going to do, I would have kept it just for the camera!
I don't find I am addicted to the phone any more than I am my watch. It is just a tool like the Gerber multi-tool on my belt or the Spyderco clipped to my pocket.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,724 Posts
I don't need the phone to do any of those things so there is no reason for me to want or need a so-called "smart" phone (I think they call them that because they often make their owners dumber)....
Sometimes I go a whole month without using my cellphone; I only carry it when I am away from home and even than I mostly use it to tell the time. I would far rather take my tablet/laptop with me so I can have a decent sized screen and an actual keyboard and run Windows (I had a tablet with Windows and Android for a while and I hated Android because all of the apps were so crude compared to the Windows versions).

Anyway, all I'm looking for is a halfway decent camera that I can use as a dashcam on the occasional ride and record things like the sequential turn signal video in better resolution without spending an arm and a leg on it. I can find all kinds of them in my price range but I have no idea whether they are any good and you can't trust reviews.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,783 Posts
Been happy with the Canon stuff, and have one of the Sony action cameras (wife bought used from a pawn shop for 125) which works good ,simple enough for me to use. Agree Gopro's are good but out of my price range. Still haven't figured out how to attach videos here, figured out pictures.

·
Super Moderator
15,724 Posts
I don't think you can attach videos directly. I upload them to YouTube and then past the URL of the video into the text box and the forum shows the video. Like this (you can see why I'd like a better camera)

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,783 Posts
Yeah that's pretty grainy, guess going to learn how to up load to youtube then. By the way , what is a URL?

·
Super Moderator
15,724 Posts
Not quite. A link is something that takes you to a URL. For example, if I select THESE WORDS, and click the link icon below the text box (looks like links of chain) a window opens asking for a URL and if I paste in a URL the selected words become a link to that URL (in this case the forum home page).

·
Premium Member
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #230 (Edited)
I ordered a new pump for my 39 year old MSR WhisperLite camp stove (with 38 year old gasoline!). I think I said it was 37 years old in the video. But 38 years ago was the last time i used it when I lived in the woods in a Nomadic canvas TiPi.
The old pump's O-rings were dried out. Could hold no pressure.

I was surprised to find a new aluminum windscreen in the box with the pump. I decided to get it working for longer trips and because it burns gasoline, I can use the MSR canisters as reserve fuel for the bike on longer trips like the empty stretches on the way to Cape Breton.

221 - 230 of 230 Posts