Honda CX 500 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 230 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,724 Posts
Unfortunately, they were a limited edition for 2018, only 40 produced and from what I heard they sold out quickly (likely mostly to collectors).
Here's this year's special (mostly upgraded suspension and fancy paint - only 20 made and costs 50% more than the standard Gear Up)

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,084 Posts
The wife and kids sure like "camping" in a 33ish foot long box on wheels with central air. I'm good either way, primitive or trailer and have a small 2 person (one really) tent for on the motorcycle.
As I've gotten older, my back doesn't enjoy the tent as much as it used to. I tried inflatable mattresses, but kids make short work of those.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
That's up to you. I suppose for you, titanium chopsticks cross the line. :)
View attachment 205886
Hey, wait until you see my camera gear. You will shit your pants! Hahaha! Next year, I hope to add a drone. Does a drone mean you aren't camping? I find that thought amusing! Check out the "non-camper" world adventurers below.
Hmm..No issues with tons of gear....or taking the kids..thats when you use a 4x4 etc....or take a camper van with a light weight trails bike in a carrier

In non-covid times there might be something to be said of travelling light and using pubs/cabins...the two are different experiences...obviously the first (pubs/cabins)ISN'T camping but its "motorcycle travelling"....
I've traveled cross-states with 40kg of audio gear (valve amps etc) strapped on the back of the bike in the past and it does impact on the travelling enjoyment.....

All depends of what your individual goal is....if its filming your experience...not much point leaving the camera gear home....if its enjoying the bike whatever you can carry needs to be low...in panniers.. or in a sidecar...

thats my take/opinion/my 20c ....;)

·
Premium Member
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #204 (Edited)
Hmm..No issues with tons of gear....or taking the kids..thats when you use a 4x4 etc....or take a camper van with a light weight trails bike in a carrier

In non-covid times there might be something to be said of travelling light and using pubs/cabins...the two are different experiences...obviously the first (pubs/cabins)ISN'T camping but its "motorcycle travelling"....
I've traveled cross-states with 40kg of audio gear (valve amps etc) strapped on the back of the bike in the past and it does impact on the travelling enjoyment.....

All depends of what your individual goal is....if its filming your experience...not much point leaving the camera gear home....if its enjoying the bike whatever you can carry needs to be low...in panniers.. or in a sidecar...

thats my take/opinion/my 20c ....;)
The video cameras have come a long way since our childhood. The acceesories are compact, but take more room than the cameras, and it all fits in the tank bag, which is a good location for charging stuff.
I am surprised you are not familiar with action cameras. They have revolutionized action photography. Here is a photo:

It may be, that I only need the Insta360 One X2 because you can get many different angles from the single camera. I'll have to experiment and find out. If I don't mount the GoPro while I ride, it is so small, I will still carry it in my luggage. The RAM mounts and other mounting accessories fit both cameras.

I picked from the lightest panniers available, rolltop dry bags. I carry a rolltop duffle on the pillion, but that is for light bulky things like uncompressed sleeping bag, rain gear, etc.

Here are my bags on the Interceptor (the duffle in the second photo is empty, but is rolled down and on the bike if I need it at the grocery store):
The Interception has the black panniers on for everyday
The GL650 has leather saddle bags for every day
The GL500 has the pillion trunk. It is great for running errands.
For travel, the GL650 and Interceptor both have tail racks that can carry chair, table and tent polls behind the pillion duffle.

The whole point of both my MotoVlogging and writing a book is to encourage other folks to get out to do it. Both folks my age who are getting back to bikes after the kids are out of the house and also completely new riders. But it will also be a vehicle for speaking about other existential questions. My philosophy related to Akira Kurosawa's films.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Miniaturization has been around a long time...these days we can get resolution and compact equipment.
I still use both digital cameras and 35mm old SLRs from the 1970s.....appreciate both.....
but those older mechanical camera's have their own mystique

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Unfortunately, they were a limited edition for 2018, only 40 produced and from what I heard they sold out quickly (likely mostly to collectors).
Here's this year's special (mostly upgraded suspension and fancy paint - only 20 made and costs 50% more than the standard Gear Up)
lol....(re the clip)....if the "stars"hold off on the doughnuts the soviet original will get them up the hills.... doughnuts with sprinkles are for the bourgeois....not for the proletariat:p (this is not a political statement.....)..;)

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Miniaturization has been around a long time...these days we can get resolution and compact equipment.
I still use both digital cameras and 35mm old SLRs from the 1970s.....appreciate both.....
but those older mechanical camera's have their own mystique
I have a couple old Nikons and Yashicas, but those are still cameras. The action video cameras bring new dimensions to photography. The image stabilization is advanced. The 360 cams are astounding. It sees everything around you. When you edit, you can choose and change perspectives. You never lose an action shot!

Here are some examples from a Cafe Racer:

·
Super Moderator
15,724 Posts
Speaking of cameras, I know that a lot of smart phones can take stunning pics (we have one that our daughter took blown up to 5' wide hanging in out living room) but I've wanted a decent SLR since I was about 20 so when I found a good deal on a Sony A230 I grabbed it. I love it for still photography but sometimes it would be nice to take video and all I have for that is the cheap dashcam (low resolution and other issues).
I'd love to have something that takes better video but I wouldn't use it enough to be worth spending a lot of money on (and no, I am not the least interested in a smart phone for that either).
Any recommendations for something that is cheap and works well?

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,783 Posts
I like my Sx20si canon camera , it's getting old at 11 years now , does pretty go video and pictures for my tv or desktop screen saver . Digital camera's have come along way in the last few years. Main thing to look at is pixel count and sensor size and last and important optical zoom power. Cost about 400 can, was my 50th birthday present to myself . Still takes better pics than my iphone7 .

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #211 (Edited)
I have an early Sony Mirrorless DSLR I bought for both my ceramic photography and travel photography. I've switched over to my phone for travel. I have a refurbished Pixel 2 XL. Cost $170.00 last month. I needed an upgrade from my MotoG6 Play to use the Insta360 app on android. My MotoG6 has become an android "iPod touch'. No cellular, but it is a good camera and accesses the internet just fine.

There are scads of good small digital cameras. What is so amazing about the action cams is the advanced stabilization for video. I didn't understand it until I bought one (I have a polaroid cube with minimal stabilization and a cheap chinese action cam with no stabilization.) It transforms video.

The cool thing about 360 is that you don't have to aim at your subject. You can also have split screen or "screen in a screen." I'll be sharing examples soon. I think 360s are the best motorcycle cams.

This is Hannah (get an earful of the Scottish Brough). She is demoing a less expensive 360 camera for travel. My 360 will probably do duty as my travel camera. The more I use mine, the more I see I might not need a drone.:

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #213 (Edited)
Thanks but both of those are way out of my price range.
Prices will be coming down. That's the way tech it works. I couldn't afford a smartphone cellular fees in 2007 so I bought an iPod touch that only works on Wi-Fi. But now, I pay $20.00 a month for my only cellular connected phone,ncluding 1gig of cellular time. My wife's phone only access the web on WiFi and costs $15.00 a month. At these rates, you can buy a good camera with the money you save! ;)

Digital cameras were the same in the beginning. I had the first consumer Canon zoom digital camera and could only afford it because I used it in my work. Still, skipping two sessions with my professional photographer paid for the camera.
The good thing is, I can write off my current cameras by using it to photograph ceramic demos and Vlogs and to help produce and promote my book. Luckily, the second job as Election Job helped me with start up cost. You probably don't want to know what Adobe Premier Pro software costs! hahaha! You can't buy it, but rent it by the month. I am hoping to go with the best Freeware, DaVinci.

Check this out. A GoPro 360 is mounted on a pole on the tail of a Yamaha r6. The pole is invisible (is is caught in the blank between the two 150* cameral lenses) and looks like the rider is being followed by a drone in an 3rd person omniscient view. If you look on the ground, you can see the shadow of the stick and the camera. It is magical!

·
Super Moderator
15,724 Posts
From what I've heard cellphone service costs more in Canada than almost anywhere else. Unfortunately, I can't write the cost of anything off for work and I do have to justify what I spend to SWMBO and if she doesn't think we need it enough to spend that much we usually don't get it. I figure I can get away with spending $100 CAD (about $70 US) including shipping.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,783 Posts
A good pawn shop might have something in that price range. Or maybe someone here on the forum has one for sale. Cheers

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hannah touches on it...but it amazes me at concerts or fireworks...people view the whole thing thru' their phone while filming....WTH..o_O

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
A good pawn shop might have something in that price range. Or maybe someone here on the forum has one for sale. Cheers
I had to upgrade my android to work with my Insta360 camera (It has to be initialized with a phone app that wouldn't work on my MotoG6.) I bought a Pixel 2 XL refurbished at a fraction of what it cost new or what the current ones go for. It is more advanced than most current phones but cost me less than them.
My laptop is also refurbished. I was able to afford a faster processor and memorygoing that way.
My desktop HP computer is refurbished from St. Vincent's thrift shop. They redo corporate computers that are donated to them and it includes Microsoft office for free and is under $100.00. I am on my 4th one. Each one is a little faster and is equipped better than I can afford new. I take them back when I get another and they upgrade my return to sell again.
They focus their computers on students whose families can't afford to pay a lot.

·
Super Moderator
15,724 Posts
My cellphone is just a phone because I only carry it for emergencies and I don't want anything that is complicated to use (I tried a so-called "smart" phone for a while and found it more focussed on doing other stuff than on actually being a phone). Did you know they still make flip phones for people like me? You are a lot less likely to damage the screen of a phone that folds in on the screen when you aren't using it.....
And yes, it was a refurb, as were most of the computers in our house (the rest were used and I cleaned them up and did fresh installs of Windows &c myself).

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #219 (Edited)
My cellphone is just a phone because I only carry it for emergencies and I don't want anything that is complicated to use (I tried a so-called "smart" phone for a while and found it more focussed on doing other stuff than on actually being a phone). Did you know they still make flip phones for people like me? You are a lot less likely to damage the screen of a phone that folds in on the screen when you aren't using it.....
And yes, it was a refurb, as were most of the computers in our house (the rest were used and I cleaned them up and did fresh installs of Windows &c myself).
I use my phone 99% of the time as my pocket computer/date book/contacts/alarm/note taker/camera. It means I don't need to take a computer or camera to meetings (as my Lodge newsletter editor, I am always taking group photos for the NL.). I almost forgot: When I was Election Judging and hosting Zoom meetings for my Lodge, I would use my phone to open the meetings when I was not at my home computer.

I never answer calls from numbers I don't know. Most are spam. I will send a text to unknown callers, and say "I am busy, please text me." That will get to most real people. I am not sure if it is true everywhere, but phones without service in the USA will still allow you to call the emergency number (911 here.) I have an old no cell service flipphone in the car just in case and charge it every now and then.
I had to upgrade from my MotoG6 because it wouldn't use the Insta360 app (processor too old), but I still use it on wifi in the house without cell service. I can also make calls with Google Phone. My cell service on the Pixel 2 is Republic. I pay $20.00 a month and it has one Gig of data that I never use up unless I am traveling abroad. You can buy addition gigs for $5.00 a gig.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,783 Posts
Thing I found is you get addicted to carrying ones phone , (my job now requires it, ugh) but that is also a good thing as I use the camera on it alot more than my expenisive camera. I wish the companys that make the smart phones would stop updating the blanking things, just get it working the way I want it to and the next update screws it all up again. Now if i could find a flip phone with a excellent camera and drop proof i would be much happier.

201 - 220 of 230 Posts