Honda CX 500 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 230 Posts

·
Premium Member
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
I haven't heard the name Perpich in a LONG time. He was in fact before my time; died a few years before I could vote.
It was when the Japanese economy was going like gangbuster and the factory was build to export chopsticks to Japan. If I remember correctly, the wood wasn't good enough for the quality the Japanese required.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,084 Posts
For those who don't know, the Perpich family owned an engineered wood products company.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I think he was still governor when I came to Minnesota in 1987.
I moved from Michigan in '83. I think he was elected again that year, after being out for a couple years.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
even tho im a "gadget guy".I'll pose a question?..with tons of gear or volumes of gear...at what point does camping stop being camping....;)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yep. Nice gear but if you keep accumulating stuff you'll need to ride one bike and have one of the others follow along behind carrying the gear (think mounted cowboy with pack horse) ;-)
:unsure:...
i think back to some police motorcyclists that set the round Australia circumnavigation time- record...they had a 4wd support vehicle and a helicopter for support....

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
even tho im a "gadget guy".I'll pose a question?..with tons of gear or volumes of gear...at what point does camping stop being camping....;)
That's up to you. I suppose for you, titanium chopsticks cross the line. :)

Hey, wait until you see my camera gear. You will shit your pants! Hahaha! Next year, I hope to add a drone. Does a drone mean you aren't camping? I find that thought amusing! Check out the "non-camper" world adventurers below.

The Vlog is going to help me as I write my book. I see preparing for them as a sort of note taking for it. I started the book when I first started as an Election Judge a year ago, but then the George Floyd incident happened and I put it on hold. I am back at it now.

Check out this list. Noraly Schoenmaker, helped me figure out action camera equipment. I follow these woman adventurers, because they seem to be more people oriented and interested in the cultures they meet, rather than competitive:

Gear and Equipment for Itchy Boots Season 3

I figured out how to save camera video on the road from this traveller, Amanda Zito:

Flight Of The Magpie

My travels will be more humble.
Except, I sure would like to bike Mongolia!

Kinga Tanajewska

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
:unsure:...
i think back to some police motorcyclists that set the round Australia circumnavigation time- record...they had a 4wd support vehicle and a helicopter for support....
Kinda depends on what you are trying to do. My original objective was to camp using my E-bike, pulling a trailer that would hold lightweight solar panels for charging. I explored different people doing this. Including some people going cross country. There was one person doing it in Canada. (I searched the article just now, but can't find it.) I would need to do that with a trailer because of the solar panels and the e-bike having less carrying capacity. I'll try to find a photo of my bicycle trailer. I added the 3foot extension last winter.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I love camping equipment, especially backpacking equipment. I have a bit of a collection myself. It is fun trying out different gear and you won’t know what works best for you until you try it. The little wood cook stove is fun to use but in reality not worth using if you also have a liquid fuel stove. If money is no object keep buying and have fun with it. Otherwise the best advice would be to get out camping on the bike to see what you really need/want. A lot of the survivalist gear for backpacking is overkill and a waste of space for a motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,724 Posts
My wife's family used to be in a club called the National Campers & Hikers. At first glance you would think of people walking through the wilderness looking for a good place to set up a tent but these folks mostly went to large events (apparently sometimes thousands of "campers"), mostly with car hauled tent trailers and the occasional RV and the farthest most of them "hiked" was to the privies ;-)
Most bike rallies have more people in tents....

BTW: I'm sure Lee knows I'm just teasing but it sounds like some others don't.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
I love camping equipment, especially backpacking equipment. I have a bit of a collection myself. It is fun trying out different gear and you won’t know what works best for you until you try it. The little wood cook stove is fun to use but in reality not worth using if you also have a liquid fuel stove. If money is no object keep buying and have fun with it. Otherwise the best advice would be to get out camping on the bike to see what you really need/want. A lot of the survivalist gear for backpacking is overkill and a waste of space for a motorcycle.
I have a new MSR pocket rocket, but I dug out of the basement my old MSR whisper lite. It is 40 years old (one of the early ones) I used for cross country winter camping. The o-rings are shot, but you can get repair kits. The advantage is that they will burn gasoline and so the fuel bottles can act as emergency reserve and you can always get gasoline out of your tank if you run out of cooking fuel. But the Pocket Rocket kit is light. Like you Doug, I am inspired by backpackers. That is why my packed bike will actually look more compact than most people doing the same trip. So far, everything fits in the two 40ltr panniers at about 2/3rds full with camera gear in the tank bag.
Thanks for the tip on the little woodstove. I'll skip it. I do have the titanium windscreen for the PocketRocket.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
My wife's family used to be in a club called the National Campers & Hikers. At first glance you would think of people walking through the wilderness looking for a good place to set up a tent but these folks mostly went to large events (apparently sometimes thousands of "campers"), mostly with car hauled tent trailers and the occasional RV and the farthest most of them "hiked" was to the privies ;-)
Most bike rallies have more people in tents....

BTW: I'm sure Lee knows I'm just teasing but it sounds like some others don't.
I know. I was just razzing bahn88 back in fun. Mostly, I am daydreaming and planning (as I mentioned in the earlier post) because the snow and Covid is mostly keeping me at home inside. I am also trying to flatten the curve on my adventure cameras. I have clamps and poles that will work on the motorcycle or my e-bike. Since the E-Bike has studded winter tires, I will test them on it first, to get ready for spring. The 360 camera is especially exciting.

Reactions: Sidecar Bob

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,084 Posts
Years ago, when my parents started using a travel trailer, I told Mom, "If you have a microwave oven, it isn't camping."

·
Registered
232 Posts
Years ago, when my parents started using a travel trailer, I told Mom, "If you have a microwave oven, it isn't camping."
The wife and kids sure like "camping" in a 33ish foot long box on wheels with central air. I'm good either way, primitive or trailer and have a small 2 person (one really) tent for on the motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
An air conditioner might be my choice over a microwave. On the motorcycle, I won't be looking for places to plug in. Probably, my heaviest equipment is batteries. I will be looking for trees to hang a hammock.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #197

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
The wife and kids sure like "camping" in a 33ish foot long box on wheels with central air. I'm good either way, primitive or trailer and have a small 2 person (one really) tent for on the motorcycle.
I've thought about a teardrop or a motorcycle tent trailer for car travel with the wife. When we went to Duluth last summer, I sprayed the entire motel room with Peroxide sanitizer, including the sheets and towels (I researched with the CDC and peroxide is used in the hospital to sanitize bed linens.).
A little camper would eliminate that procedure.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
181 - 200 of 230 Posts