Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Is camchain adjustment a do it yourself deal? How often should it be done?

Very do it yourself. And at every oil change or every other depending on how much you ride and how often you change your oil. I would say at least a person should do it once a year.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Thank you. I have a spare engine I'll work on it 1st.
When it say loosen only go one or two turns max. Otherwise the bolt may back out of the hole far enough for the spring to pull it off center and then you have to remove the rear cover to put it back in.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
When it say loosen only go one or two turns max. Otherwise the bolt may back out of the hole far enough for the spring to pull it off center and then you have to remove the rear cover to put it back in.

I don't think that can happen, it's pretty idiot proof. The bolt has a lip which binds on the case long before you get anywhere near the end of the threads. The threads look like they're at least 3X longer than the distance from lip to back of case.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I noticed that when I adjusted my Cam-chain (gl 500, but prolly the same for all save the manual type), that I could back off the bolt a coupla turns and then it got a little harder to to back off, so I didn't "press" the issue.....Lol

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I noticed that when I adjusted my Cam-chain (gl 500, but prolly the same for all save the manual type), that I could back off the bolt a coupla turns and then it got a little harder to to back off, so I didn't "press" the issue.....Lol

Smart man.

If anyone ever gets a truly beyond any hope of salvage, even for parts carcass, I'd be curious to see if the case would crack or the threads would strip, or ???. I suspect the point of least resistance would probably be the bolt threads in the block, the bolt and case are pretty robust in comparison.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I just did this. I marked the bolt so I would know when I got to two full turns. Just when I got it there, it wouldn't turn any more.

The lip in the image above keeps it from going any further, the question is what would happen if you MADE it go around a few more times. It may be semi-idiot proof, until someone gets a really long wrench and starts hopping on it.

Seriously though, don't try this at home kiddies.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
now that makes me wish i still had my parts bike so i could report the findings but alas it is gone........and shouldnt you adjust the cam chain when the engine is stone cold??or is that just for the valves?

·
Registered
546 Posts
now that makes me wish i still had my parts bike so i could report the findings but alas it is gone........and shouldnt you adjust the cam chain when the engine is stone cold??or is that just for the valves?

Wont matter for the camchain lucky, but it makes sense to do both at the same time, IIRC the recommended service interval is the same for both procedures.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
ok cool thanks for pointing me in the right way abes with no manual to look at i wasnt sure

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.