Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am building my first bike up from a completely torn apart engine.

I have the bike together and it ran yesterday at full throttle for a few minutes.

Then after a little bit I started getting coughing and back firing out of the carbs.

I pulled the carbs off to do a rebuild on them, but to double check I decided to see if it would run with no carbs attached, just starter fluid.

I was still having the backfire issue with no carbs. It's like the camshaft, or timing is completely backwards.

I don't think I installed the camshaft upside down, as it wouldn't have ran at all even in the beginning. Is it a matter of cam chain adjustment?

Timing Adjustment?

Or did I install the camshaft upside down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't matter if the cam is 180 out - there is no upside down.

Which bike are you working on? The TI mechanical advance timing unit can be 180 out, but I don't think it would have ran at all like that.
Im working on the '83 cx650 custom.

so is it now just a matter of adjusting the cam?

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
On a newly assembly engine, I'm not sure about the wisdom to run WOT for a few minutes at first start.

I would think you'd be better serviced to run at idle until warm, then 1/4, then 1/2, then 3/4, then WOT. This gives you a chance to debug any oddities before something performs a self disassembly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a newly assembly engine, I'm not sure about the wisdom to run WOT for a few minutes at first start.

I would think you'd be better serviced to run at idle until warm, then 1/4, then 1/2, then 3/4, then WOT. This gives you a chance to debug any oddities before something performs a self disassembly.
That was the plan, but i got a little over enthusiastic. Beginners foley I dare say.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Careful with being over enthusiastic......it is a good way to convert a large amount of hard work and expense into a shiny boat anchor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts