Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Get rid? No, but it did reduce it. The cam boss was not torqued to spec but wasn't rattly loose. I didn't really gauge how tight it was when I took it off, but I did notice the hammer and chisel marks. Certainly not up to proper torque value though. More to the point is what has happened. The bike had two owners before me. The first one bought it new and it had it up until a couple months before I bought it. The second owner bought it from him and was going to cafe it, but changed his mind. Someone along the way has been in this engine other than the Honda mechanics. I can only imagine what else is hiding in there and causing vibration.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Dowel was ok. Replaced the boss with the gear and bolts from a good engine.

·
Registered
883 Posts
With the time involved in replacing the guides/blades, and the supposedly inferior DSS parts-I think Murray would have a guaranteed market for quality parts on an international level. Most owners would pay a higher price for a quality part.......

Hope Murray's plans to provide an alternative come to fruition

·
Registered
24,297 Posts
im getting there spec and design wise

but it will cost me over 27k to move forward and get them made

my wife is a little cross eyed at that

but we will do a work up on the numbers and see after i get some more things nailed down about it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is there any update on David spares shop cam tensioner? Is quality improved? Does someone bought and tested this part recently? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
im getting there spec and design wise

but it will cost me over 27k to move forward and get them made

my wife is a little cross eyed at that

but we will do a work up on the numbers and see after i get some more things nailed down about it
I can see the hesitation on your part to move forward on this, had no clue it would entail that kind of start up costs. Probably why we haven't seen a lot of aftermarket mfgs for those parts. What is the break even point for that kind of investment?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Is there any update on David spares shop cam tensioner? Is quality improved? Does someone bought and tested this part recently? Thank you!
If Murray doesn't progress this one, possibly consider CSMNL? They claim their manufactured parts are up to OEM standard. Being in Europe the pricing could be viable. They usually have all components.(plates, springs, guides, blades)

·
Registered
35 Posts
If Murray doesn't progress this one, possibly consider CSMNL? They claim their manufactured parts are up to OEM standard. Being in Europe the pricing could be viable. They usually have all components.(plates, springs, guides, blades)
Very expensive store. I can agree to paying more for new parts I dont like to being ripped off.

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think youll find that the parts prices are very close to "Honda prices" on the parts listings....more expensive than other reproductions .
If CSMNL is ripping us off...Honda has been for years.....;)
Something like that. Problem is when you open 40 years old engine and want to do things right, cost of new parts is making your project too expensive.

·
Registered
883 Posts
yes agree...just pointing it out...:)......thats where "if it aint broke dont touch it comes in...." else youl'll have a $10000spend on a CX500 that worth $1500

·
Super Moderator
21,427 Posts
I have motors here with new mains and rod bearings, pistons and rings, upper rockers and pins, chains and tensioner components, valves, valve guides and seals and more. They certainly haven't cost me $10,000 to build.

The thingy build likely owes me a little over $2000 for the whole bike but the basis cost only $165 so I had a head start on a low cost build.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have motors here with new mains and rod bearings, pistons and rings, upper rockers and pins, chains and tensioner components, valves, valve guides and seals and more. They certainly haven't cost me $10,000 to build.

The thingy build likely owes me a little over $2000 for the whole bike but the basis cost only $165 so I had a head start on a low cost build.
Yes agree...thats why I said if it aint broke don't touch it...:)

But camshaft is $1000 as listed, 1 fork leg $1240.etc etc....
Thats when being patient comes in, sending things off to engineering shops and not replacing things if not needed.
And then there is this forum.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think, all in, I spent around £400 on rod bearings, rocker arm shafts, gaskets etc.. I'm not quite done yet but it certainly isn't $10000. These are parts that can't really be repaired. They're consumable. I can ride my bike with a pretty much new engine. It's just good to know the engine is in good shape and won't leave me roadside. Just my opinion of course. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
883 Posts
I unintentionally created a tsunami....lol

I was meaning if you replaced everything, you could easily spend $10000....you dont need to pay $5 for a o-ring at MrHonda...but the parts that you can't source elsewhere maybe you need to consider retail...but you need to do it wisely

I wasnt implying that each build will be $10000...;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hehe! No worries. Just piping in. It can be a touchy subject here though. The quick answer to engine issues is get another engine but that's getting more difficult as time goes by. ;)

Reactions: bahn88 and CXPHREAK

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hehe! No worries. Just piping in. It can be a touchy subject here though. The quick answer to engine issues is get another engine but that's getting more difficult as time goes by. ;)
I replace only very bad parts on my (over all in good shape when bought) cx500c, and I double the cost of purchase :) My goal is to restore motorcycle as close as original state when new. Sure someone with half brain won't buy oring from Honda or something you can fix/replace cheaper. I can't finish back of my engine - still waiting for cam chain tensioner from Thailand, lost somewhere in post office christmas/covid mess...

·
Registered
883 Posts
And as an aside....maybe some of those exorbitant prices for some cafes are people trying to recoup all their costs....
Theres a lesson to be learnt in that "stock" often sells better....and unless you are manufacturing many parts your self you wont recoup the cost of many of those mods......

now back to chain tensioners.....

·
Super Moderator
21,427 Posts
If you want a part NOW you will pay through the nose for it most likely.

The Ozdeluxe also has a NOS cam. It cost me about $200 from memory.

Buy it now - likely listed for a whole 5 minutes. :)

I buy stuff when it becomes available for reasonable prices. I bought a full set of upper rockers for less than one upper rocker is currently listed for right now which I think is $175 + postage from Italy.

I do remember what I paid for this set. They were $35 each, posted. They were listed separately and likely would sell for much more as a set.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts