Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,461 Posts
Well, I just tried to get a pic of the black residue on the dipstick and today there is none - just clean oil. Could the black have possibly been from blowby during the rings bedding in?

dipstick 003.JPG dipstick 002.JPG dipstick 001.JPG

·
Registered
831 Posts
There are some OEM auto guides floating around. For example Consolidated Motors has ONE Only longer (left side) guide but cost is €69 (USD 78 )+ shipping. Ouch. And that still leaves one lob-sided.

·
Super Moderator
21,461 Posts
Having got the USB camera sorted out it's a bit of a bust. It's nearest useful focal point is about 6 inches away, a little far for the distance involved in tensioner checking. I did wire it doubled back on itself si it can look from the other side of the motor and as far as I can tell the tensioner is still in the new chain position, but I want to checkone with a worn chain to check that I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.

This is a cheapebay one, Mrs Phreak has now ordered me a better one.

Aint wifes great? :}

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Just 6 months and 3,000 miles to get to that state ?
Those pics are pretty shocking when you consider how long and how well the original ones have lasted
compared to those 'new' ones
That black material is obviously not fit for purpose.
I was considering buying new ones from DSS for my spare engine
Not now though, I'd rather stick the original ones back in

·
Registered
810 Posts
I bought used ones from a good engine rather than buy another set from David Silvers until this issue is sorted. I have this feeling that I've bought guides and tensioners from this faulty lot and will know soon enough when I get the engine back out of the bike. I've been blown off before by David Silvers over issues with the shocks I bought from him. He did finally refund me but was insistent that the shocks were right when they clearly were not. Sounds like the case with his guides and tensioners as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I rejected the use of a guide from DSS during my quad bypass in January. After taking three weeks to arrive, this was the sorry piece of garbage that showed up, as it looked fresh out of the package when SLiM was helping me install it. KIMG0024.JPG
The 35-year-old OEM blade was in better shape and we just reused it. Unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
That's a bummer, I thought DSS was a recommended resource for our CX/GL bikes. Is that the case with everything from DSS or just some parts?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
That's a bummer, I thought DSS was a recommended resource for our CX/GL bikes. Is that the case with everything from DSS or just some parts?
The headers I bought from them a couple of years ago were crap too. They were scratched all over and the rings that would limit how far they would go into the H box on a stock setup were oversized and welded on crooked.

In fairness, their website did state that they were on sale because of cosmetic problems and when I complained that they were worse than the site indicated and they did issue me a partial refund.

And I needed to remove those rings for my application anyway and Eccles is not exactly a show bike so I used them anyway. After 2 winters of use left one has almost no chrome left and the right isn't far behind (I have been applying oil to them to see if it would burn off and leave a rust resistant coating like I read about but it hasn't helped). Yes, I do drive on salty winter roads but when you compare with what the stock ones looked like after 10 years of + 22 years of unknown treatment before that it is ridiculous.

I would have been better off to spend the money on postage for the used ones a forum member offered me instead.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Out of interest
The tensioner blades do the hardest work but
how well/badly did the guide blade do?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Makes me wonder how many of these dodgy tensioners/guides there are out there
quietly( for now) collapsing and contaminating the oilways with plasticky gunk.
Chips of plastic would be preferable as they may get caught in the filter
If the lost material turns to a gooey slurry on the other hand, it would be an arseache to clear out and who knows where it may
congeal and clog?

DSS giving it the 'sorry mate out of warranty' treatment may be adhering to the letter of the law but
certainly not the spirit.
Do they not know or care that selling such shoddy parts will damage their reputation?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Update:
I've replaced the DSS cam guide and tensioner with a known good used stock set. I did this to try and resolve the vibration in my engine and it seems to have brought it back to a ride-able bike again. I replaced the tensioner and guide, but I also changed the cam chain, the cam gear and the cam lock nut. I have a feeling someone other than a Honda mechanic has been in this engine. Take a look at the "special wrench" marks on the cam lock nut! DSCF7078.JPG DSCF7084.JPG

No telling what else lurks inside this engine. This was clearly not done by Honda during the recall work!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts