Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX 500 Custom
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to you all and Happy New Year!
I just inspected the automatic cam chain tensioner of my ‘82 CX 500, with 41.500 km or 25.800 mi on it.
The infamous hole is half exposed... No noises from the engine yet.
Is there any life left for the setup or do you suggest an immediate chain replacement?

Thank in advance,

M.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Door Automotive design Plumbing fixture
Liquid Eyebrow Eye Automotive lighting Eyelash

·
Super Moderator
5,340 Posts
I'd suggest changing it sooner rather than later. The automatic tensioner, which is near impossible to replace, can get destroyed from a loose cam chain. Eeking out a bit more life from this cam chain may be false economy.

·
Registered
CX650 motor project into a CX500 Turbo Frame - ongoing
212 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: 4thKing

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Time to replace the camchain,
At least you can do it now and then enjoy the rest of the summer, with trouble free riding.
All The Best......Keith..........:cool:......

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX 500 Custom
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, do you think it is time to replace the guides also or just the chain?

·
Registered
CX650 motor project into a CX500 Turbo Frame - ongoing
212 Posts
Thanks guys, do you think it is time to replace the guides also or just the chain?
I was told only if they're hardened/brittle feeling or show wear or damage. When you get them out maybe post some pictures. I think most people get to reuse them.

THERE ARE POSTS ABOUT -aftermarket- ONES FROM DAVID SILVERS BEING JUNK. There's a lot of posts to go through, but I guess DS sold some sketchy aftermarket ones that sometimes didn't last and he didn't warranty them and it rubbed some people the wrong way:

Also, for fun here's some pictures of what happens when the chain isn't replaced:

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,746 Posts
The guide and tensioner are metal pieces with moulded on hard rubber. If you can't make a slight depression in the rubber with a thumbnail the rubber is too hard and the guide and tensioner should be replaced.

We used to recommend replacing them with the camchain until the supply of new ones ran out. Then we rejoiced when David SIlver's started selling their aftermarket replacements.
Until Izak dropped the dental mirror inside his engine while checking his camchain, had to remove and open the engine to get it out and discovered that the rubber on his tensioner had failed. As far as I know Murray rescued Izak by sending him what he needed to put his engine back together but Silver's never did anything for Izak about this issue before he died a bit over a year later.
And Izak's tensioner wasn't the only one to fail.

·
Registered
133 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts