Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the seasons have changed. Hail came down today along with all the leaves on the trees in pretty much all of Ontario and I really can't see a better time to commence triple bypass surgery. I have ordered most parts needed but seem to be stuck finding a cam chain (14401-MA1-013). Are there any online sources anyone would like to recommend besides Partzilla or david silver spares?

Along with the cam chain, is there anywhere I can get my hands on a drive shaft boot?

I am fairly new to serious engine work, but I have read the Haynes manual and checked out the Wiki several times and feel confident. If there's anyone in the same boat as I, I definitely recommend giving this a gander Old Triple Bypass Page - CXGL

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
chains for all 650's and 500's cx and gl are the same. david silver spares has them, look at different models. change the starter clutch springs while you are in there, thus completing the quad bypass.

·
Super Moderator
21,148 Posts
This would be one to run past Murray to verify, but I'm pretty sure the 650 tensioner and guide assemblies are the same parts as used in the 500 motor when fitted with auto tensioner.

If so, David Silvers has made the tensioner and guide rails available recently.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This would be one to run past Murray to verify, but I'm pretty sure the 650 tensioner and guide assemblies are the same parts as used in the 500 motor when fitted with auto tensioner.

If so, David Silvers has made the tensioner and guide rails available recently.
I bought the tensioner about a week ago but the guide wasn't available at the time. I noticed the guide was yesterday though and bought one asap. Joe from Fogelsville made a good point on just going for the quad bypass. Why not right?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chains for all 650's and 500's cx and gl are the same. david silver spares has them, look at different models. change the starter clutch springs while you are in there, thus completing the quad bypass.
All I need are clutch springs for a quad bypass? mind my ignorance. sounds crazy not to go about the quad

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I bought the tensioner about a week ago but the guide wasn't available at the time. I noticed the guide was yesterday though and bought one asap. Joe from Fogelsville made a good point on just going for the quad bypass. Why not right?
So what is it that you still need to get?? If its just a guide, I have some......but only for a 500 not for a 650
Did you get a new stator?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe I have everything. I made a list off of the wiki page consisting of everything involving a triple bypass, plus the clutch springs. I bought a new stator off of david silver spares but it doesn't include pick ups.. I take it I could use my older pickups?

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
That's STARTER CLUTCH springs, not clutch springs. You need to have the flywheel off to do the stater clutch so if you have any doubts about the condition of the starter clutch replace them while it is already apart. If you aren't in a huge hurry you could take it apart, inspect the starter clutch springs, caps & rollers, order what you need and re-assemble when it arrives.

BTW: Per Murray, even though the manual says to, don't remove the screws that attach the starter clutch to the flywheel. If you disturb the screws you are supposed to replace them but you can replace the springs, caps & rollers without removing the screws.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
posting photos and asking questions as you move about would be prudent as there is a lot of help here :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
posting photos and asking questions as you move about would be prudent as there is a lot of help here :)
Absolutely. I intend to, but in the meantime I can only grow anxious waiting for the mailman. I plan on keeping notes and taking photos and you gentlemen will be the first to know when I catch a snag :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts