Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been dealing with a cooling problem with my 650c that sat for about 6 years. I've had the bike from almost new (600) miles. Still diagnosing the cooling problem but in reading many posts
here (I'm new to this site and thankful I found it), it seems it might be time for a cam chain replacement; the bike has just over 61k. Since it's been awhile since I've ridden it, I'd forgotton about the
intermittent noise at idle. At below 1000 rpm it's really noticeabe and seems to go away past 2000 rpm or so. At first I thought possibly a rod bearing but I would think that would be a constant noise
and not go away. From what I've been reading the cam chains many times don't last as long as mine has. So is the intermittent noise the result of the automatic chain tensioner reaching the end
of its travel and the chain slapping against the guide etc? I pulled the pan off the bottom when I changed oil recently and everything was very clean. When I figure out how to do so I'll post a video of the noise.
Thanks!

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the original timing chain so I guess I'm riding on borrowed time. Thanks for the info, very helpful, I'll do the inspection, but it's probably time to put it back in the garage until I can find a new chain.
Just really starting to enjoy riding it again. I read here somewhere that the cam chains for these bikes are all the same, part # 14401-ma1-013p. Is that true?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, good, recently got a new water pump seal included with some other seals I needed so it'll be a good time to replace that also even though the old one doesn't leak. The stater was replaced
at about 45k and charging system is working well so I think I'm okay on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts