Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be re-dropping my engine. I did not see any problems when I was int here but I did not inspect the Guide and I did not understand that was not an uncommon failure. I thought it was the tensioner arm that failed. I do not know WHY I thought that but one day I may learn to read and comprehend instead of just reading.

Anyway so i am ordering parts and I have the chain on order, the tensioner arm, and associated gaskets. I am going to reanneal the water pump impeller washer this time.

So I WANT to put in a new Guide (part # 14600415305) but I cannot find one.

Ebay ,

http://www.onlinemcparts.com/products/set-cam-chain-1769310-14600415305.html#,

Honda,

everyplace I look have no joy for me.

Any suggestions where one might be hiding?

I do not want to drop the motor again until I have the parts in my grubby paws.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
They have been NLA for a while now. I suspect I got one of the last when I bought one last spring, as it went NLA the next day.

I did make contact around October of last year with an Asian supplier of cam chain guides just to see if getting new ones made is viable. They will only make them as sets, and the price was +/- what an oil filter costs, but the gotcha is a minimum quantity, 10,000 sets. They offered cam chains too, for about the same price (+/- U$5.00 each), minimum quantity of 5000 on the cam chains.

As CAM evolves, I think parts like these will be viable for manufacture in small quantities in the near future, at least I hope so.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have been NLA for a while now. I suspect I got one of the last when I bought one last spring, as it went NLA the next day.

I did make contact around October of last year with an Asian supplier of cam chain guides just to see if getting new ones made is viable. They will only make them as sets, and the price was +/- what an oil filter costs, but the gotcha is a minimum quantity, 10,000 sets. They offered cam chains too, for about the same price (+/- U$5.00 each), minimum quantity of 5000 on the cam chains.

As CAM evolves, I think parts like these will be viable for manufacture in small quantities in the near future, at least I hope so.

That sucks!

I have not looked at it yet but I have a sinking suspicion about the source of the noise.

Where did you get the specs for it to find out about having it made?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Where did you get the specs for it to find out about having it made?

If it ever came to fruition, I was going to have a machinist friend scan it with the $$$$$$ 3D scanner at his workplace.

I'd bet on chain stretch being a more likely source for noise in this area.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it ever came to fruition, I was going to have a machinist friend scan it with the $$$$$$ 3D scanner at his workplace.

I'd bet on chain stretch being a more likely source for noise in this area.

I am hopeful but not known for my luck with mechanical things I purchase.

I looked at the cam chain and the tensioner when I was in there last time and it looked pretty O.K.

There are even pictures posted on here of it.

When the chain and other parts come in I will drop the engine I guess, and hope.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Keep ur fingers crossed, not that bad on the price, that's about list price +10%.

If it ever got that bad,

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Departments/carbon-fiber-kits.aspx

And I'm sure some one on here could make them

I don't know if that would work, has anyone actually tried it? Modern cam chain guides are coated with a graphite and molly filled nylon mixture. That style of carbon fiber is for body panels and such, not for friction applications AFAIK.

Ford uses this plastic for it's tensioner, looks like something that can be made to fit over the existing tensioner blade. Some of their engines use an aluminum piece with a covering of this stuff molded onto it, other engines use an all plastic tensioner. Seems like a good material candidate should all sources dry up.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hopefully it will be the correct part.

i got lucky about a year ago and found someone on eBay disassembling a very low mileage engine, got the entire cam chain setup for something like $35 an the part show virtually no signs of wear. Of course my bike only having 12,000 miles on it I'm still quite a ways away from having to worry about it so long as I keep up with regular oil changes and adjustment.

Neglecting regular, frequent oil changes with a good diesel oil is a killer on our bikes. Since the tranny and clutch share the same oil it's exposed to a lot of shear forces which are the hardest thing an oil has to handle. Shear forces will break down an oil's viscosity faster than anything so after a fair amount of miles your 15W-40 ends up as 15W-30, then 15W-20 etc until all the modifiers have broken down and you essentially end up running on sewing machine oil.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Keep ur fingers crossed, not that bad on the price, that's about list price +10%.

I don't know if that would work, has anyone actually tried it? Modern cam chain guides are coated with a graphite and molly filled nylon mixture. That style of carbon fiber is for body panels and such, not for friction applications AFAIK.

Ford uses this plastic for it's tensioner, looks like something that can be made to fit over the existing tensioner blade. Some of their engines use an aluminum piece with a covering of this stuff molded onto it, other engines use an all plastic tensioner. Seems like a good material candidate should all sources dry up.

I think there are a few possibilities and I'm sure Moly powder could be added to the hardener in the Carbon fibre kits.If we needed to I'm sure we could fabricate something.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully it will be the correct part.

i got lucky about a year ago and found someone on eBay disassembling a very low mileage engine, got the entire cam chain setup for something like $35 an the part show virtually no signs of wear. Of course my bike only having 12,000 miles on it I'm still quite a ways away from having to worry about it so long as I keep up with regular oil changes and adjustment.

Neglecting regular, frequent oil changes with a good diesel oil is a killer on our bikes. Since the tranny and clutch share the same oil it's exposed to a lot of shear forces which are the hardest thing an oil has to handle. Shear forces will break down an oil's viscosity faster than anything so after a fair amount of miles your 15W-40 ends up as 15W-30, then 15W-20 etc until all the modifiers have broken down and you essentially end up running on sewing machine oil.

Marshallf3,

I hope it is the right part but I payed through paypal with a credit card so I will be shipping it back and refusing everything but shipping charges if it is not correct.

I have my fingers crossed that he has it and it is correct.

Would make the job much easier!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also Wentsch & Klink in Germany list one kit.

I could not read either and so was not confident about what they said.

40 Euro (40* ~1.43= $57.20) is more than I paid already so unless the one I ordered is a failure I am just as well off. If it is wrong then I have a couple of options, as long as they do not sell.

The thing is the bike has the corrected plate and all but I am concerned that the guide is bad. So I really just want the guide.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yea, I wouldn't know a Zeikelzanger from a knudsonborge.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The guy I bought it from sent me an e-mail asking if I was on a forum.

He said right after my order he had a run of all is CX500 cam chain components.

I told him that if he could find them and keep them in stock we (the forum) would be happy to keep buying them.

His name is Steve Blake.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
The guy I bought it from sent me an e-mail asking if I was on a forum.

He said right after my order he had a run of all is CX500 cam chain components.

I told him that if he could find them and keep them in stock we (the forum) would be happy to keep buying them.

So that means he actually has it? HIGH FIVE on that one. I get so pissed off by the plethora of online sellers who list parts that only after you've checked out and are sitting there like an idiot waiting for the order you get the "no longer available" email for half the crap you ordered. Especially true of dealers, some have the complete parts list on their pages, the more honest (and less lazy too) online sellers will only list what they know is available, or at least put a "discontinued" in the price box.

Not miffed at all that I no longer can claim to have gotten the last one.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
$60 total with shipping included is what I read.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Am I right in assuming your part number is for the can chain set? This includes the plate and bolt that wear out with sloppy chains. Can you not order the guide blade by itself?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.