Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of issues I could use a bit of help with:

1. Once the old cam chain is off how do you turn the camshaft to bring it back to TDC before installing the new one? I don't have a 27mm socket to turn the nut on the end of the shaft. Should I just reinstall the fan and use it to turn the camshaft?

2. For Shep's Mech. Seal replacement method how do you remove the old seal and spring from the metal cup? Should I just apply heat to the back of the cup or pry it off with a screwdriver?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Check the quick reference in this forum and if you don't find all the answers, do a Search for each one. AGB-1

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
The cam is going to want to spring clockwise looking from the rear if I remember right. There is a big nut on the cam shaft that you can use a socket or wrench on to move it back into position.

As for the old seal It should be worn enough that it just pulls out with needlenose pliers.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
A couple of issues I could use a bit of help with:

1. Once the old cam chain is off how do you turn the camshaft to bring it back to TDC before installing the new one? I don't have a 27mm socket to turn the nut on the end of the shaft. Should I just reinstall the fan and use it to turn the camshaft?

2. For Shep's Mech. Seal replacement method how do you remove the old seal and spring from the metal cup? Should I just apply heat to the back of the cup or pry it off with a screwdriver?
barry,all you need to turn the crank is a 17mm spanner or,better still a socket.forget about tdc.there is a picture in the manual on how to reinstate the camchain.follow it to the letter.it cannot be set up 180d out,because its impossible to do so.someone will post the picture,or ill try find it tomorrow.

remember.....do not be tempted to turn that crank backwards.....you only ever tighten

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
barry,all you need to turn the crank is a 17mm spanner or,better still a socket.forget about tdc.there is a picture in the manual on how to reinstate the camchain.follow it to the letter.it cannot be set up 180d out,because its impossible to do so.someone will post the picture,or ill try find it tomorrow.

remember.....do not be tempted to turn that crank backwards.....you only ever tighten

Bandit, I have seen the picture in the manual and I am trying to line up the camshaft at TDC as pictured (not the crank). Once the old chain is off turning the crank does not turn the cam. Since I don't have a 27mm socket I am asking how to turn the camshaft as it tends to jump clockwise from TDC when you remove the old chain. I thought that by reinstalling the fan I could then turn the camshaft.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Here's something to try. Temporarily install one or both of the bolts that hold the camshaft gear in place, without the gear. They don't need to be screwed in tight. Then use a screwdriver as a lever against these bolts to turn the camshaft.

I would not try to turn the camshaft from the front. The camshaft is made in two pieces - excessive force applied to the front could cause it to separate.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Bandit, I have seen the picture in the manual and I am trying to line up the camshaft at TDC as pictured (not the crank). Once the old chain is off turning the crank does not turn the cam. Since I don't have a 27mm socket I am asking how to turn the camshaft as it tends to jump clockwise from TDC when you remove the old chain. I thought that by reinstalling the fan I could then turn the camshaft.
i see.didnt ISmith have the same problem on the old forum..............

from memory me thinks he released the rockers or something,ill go check,i could be wrong

i didnt have the problem because i locked the engine up at the front,prior to removing the chain,so,i didnt have to check anything or move anything.

i also think you will struggle to use the fan

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It's a little late now, but the easiest way to solve the problem is like Bandit said and set it correctly before you remove the old chain, at least that's what I did.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the suggestions and for the link Bandit. I may not get back to working on the bike for maybe a week or so. My wife is donating a kidney to our youngest son (aged 32)and the surgery is on Wednesday (Dec 1st). I'll be busy for a bit looking after her. I had a kidney transplant myself in December of 2002.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions and for the link Bandit. I may not get back to working on the bike for maybe a week or so. My wife is donating a kidney to our youngest son (aged 32)and the surgery is on Wednesday (Dec 1st). I'll be busy for a bit looking after her. I had a kidney transplant myself in December of 2002.
Barry i wish you and your family well,and hope the operation goes well,your son and your wife have a speedy recovery

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Barry i wish you and your family well,and hope the operation goes well,your son and your wife have a speedy recovery

The surgery was successful. My wife and son are now recovering at home. I have had a bit of time to work on the engine. I got the cam chain on by reinstalling the fan and turning the 12mm bolt to line up the cam to TDC. Worked great. The old mechanical seal came out easily with just pliers. Today, I'll be putting the rear cover back on the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.