Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon gentlemen. I am investigating a knock I had and removed the rear cover. To my suprise it looks like the darn tthing fell off the factory floor. There is no slack in the chain and from investigating others with their pictures of worn chains and bolts that have been shredded my shows no signs of damage. What to do? Thanks In advance Dan http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa369/bubeo1/

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That looks fine enough.

A lot of remaining adjuster travel. If you´ve done your cam chain tensioner "adjustment" the right way, there shouldn´t be any noise, caused by a slack chain. You´ll have to look elsewhere.

Sture

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks fine enough.

A lot of remaining adjuster travel. If you´ve done your cam chain tensioner "adjustment" the right way, there shouldn´t be any noise, caused by a slack chain. You´ll have to look elsewhere.

Sture
I agree but being new to ripping my engine apart where might I look next? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
The chain looks good the the video doesn't sound the best. You should check your tappets and see if they are set way off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know but it just hit me, when I was tearing the bike down the crash bar bracket was cracked clean through. After watching the video I made a couple of times that is where the clacking is coming from I think. I want to kick my own ass.Im wondering if maybe just maybe it was that. Im a hoping and praying scratching my head and wondering what else can go wrong. Any ideas before I start putting betsy back together?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Bandit do I have to replace all the gaskets on the way in? They all look great. Should I look at the clutch?
that video sound nasty.i would not worry about gaskets yet.you need to identify that noise.

as BS. said,eliminate the valves clearance first.

was the engine hot or cold in the video?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Rickbert had a bad clunk in his engine last year. Turns out that one of the philips headed screws on the outside of the flywheel had backed out and proceeded to flay about in the rear case. Eventually, it came to rest in a bottom corner, but the magnet keeper it was holding was also loose inside the flywheel. That may not be the case here, but it is very easy to check while you have the cover off.

Edit: Just listened to the video. That doesn't sound good. If it isn't your crash bar, check your header attachment to the head. Maybe the nuts have backed off and you are hearing an exhaust pulse rattling the header.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Dan,can you recreate the noise...

plugs out,turn the engine over via the front 17mm nut

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
BRB Ill try it and look for a loose screw besides the one in my head.
oh,and have the valve covers off as well,you can the see how the train runs

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I know mine sounded similar when one of my keeper nuts on the tappets came loose and made a larger than normal valve gap. Sounds nasty but seems to follow the RPM very closely. I would get valve adjustment or something on the crank hitting on revolution (maybe a screw backed out a bit and the head tapping something else as it spins ?)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know mine sounded similar when one of my keeper nuts on the tappets came loose and made a larger than normal valve gap. Sounds nasty but seems to follow the RPM very closely. I would get valve adjustment or something on the crank hitting on revolution (maybe a screw backed out a bit and the head tapping something else as it spins ?)
Im going to reset them right now to make sure that its not the tappets. I have the covers off and they dont seem to be sloppy, but I'm going to reset them anyway. I dont want to put this back in and then find out the knock is still there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok went outside and adjusted the tappets. This is what I found. The left side was good but the right side was so tight that I removed the holder nut and readjusted. I remember the last time I did this it was the same thing, so I spun the engine around twice with the 17mm and the right side was way lose. Any Ideas?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.