Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So instead of just checking valve clearances, I'm going to pull the heads and clean the exhaust and inlet ports. Just wondering if steel wool id the best for the job here? Also not sure I quite understand loosening the cam chain adjuster lock nut and tapping the engine with a soft mallet?? How do I know it moved? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
So instead of just checking valve clearances, I'm going to pull the heads and clean the exhaust and inlet ports. Just wondering if steel wool id the best for the job here? Also not sure I quite understand loosening the cam chain adjuster lock nut and tapping the engine with a soft mallet?? How do I know it moved? Thanks guys.
i expect you already know this........

you adjust the camchain when the left pot is at tdc on the Commpression stroke only.undo the adjuster 1 to 2 turns out.any resistance...stop..or youl be pulling the engine,the tap with a mallet is to make sure the spring and aduster move[not asleep]and do their job.you wont hear or know if it has,its just down to faith.

some info. here........http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/CXGLTappets.htm#CXGLTappets

when you pull your heads you will need to lap the valves,or a least i did.

polishing ports,to me a waste of time

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Are you really set on removing the heads?

You can do a cheap liquid de-coke using old or new brake fluid.Pour half a rattle can top full into each cylinder and spin the engine a couple of times with the Kill switch engaged and leave over night.Do that every couple of weeks a couple of times and no need to go too the expense and time of removing the heads.

But definitely dress the tappet faces for a quieter engine and more accurate tappet setting.

http://www.sheppola.karoo.net/TwistedTwin/TappetsDressing.htm

HTH

·
Registered
152 Posts
All gas sold today has detergents in it. Unless you have a very poorly tuned or dirty carb you should not have any buildup in the intake or cylinders. If there is actually carbon in the engine I'd do like Shep said and use some kind of chemical clean with something you pour in the intake or the gas. Just adjust the cam chain and valves and leave it alone. I'd rather be riding than spending money and fixing.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
All gas sold today has detergents in it. Unless you have a very poorly tuned or dirty carb you should not have any buildup in the intake or cylinders. If there is actually carbon in the engine I'd do like Shep said and use some kind of chemical clean with something you pour in the intake or the gas. Just adjust the cam chain and valves and leave it alone. I'd rather be riding than spending money and fixing.
Be sure to pull the plugs before you try to spin over the engine if you pour liquid into the cylinders, otherwise you can damage parts through hydraulic action.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Are you having an actual problem? De-coking seems to be something relegated to the repair manuals from half a century ago before detergent fuels and oils, and the UK for some reason (different fuel blends?)

The only places I've actually encountered where de-coking is necessary are in countries which subsidise the price of diesel, what happen is that less than scruplous distributors and dealers mix diesel (and who knows what) in the fuel to increase their profit margins. Hopefully not a practice where you are. Even in these places, a walnut blasting through the plug hole takes care of it without teardown.

If you want to clean/polish the ports, remove the air horns and headers and you'll have access. Run some Top End cleaner or Sea Foam through the fuel system, should get the combustion chamber as clean as it's going to get.

I don't see any cost/benefit in it, and you might open a can of worms you weren't planning on by pulling the heads.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Are you having an actual problem? De-coking seems to be something relegated to the repair manuals from half a century ago before detergent fuels and oils, and the UK for some reason (different fuel blends?)

I've just received a set of CX500 heads from America with a reasonably low mileage(19,000 miles).They have hard carbon build up on the Exhaust valves and a little on the inlet valves.

Although not excessive it seems exactly the same as here in the UK.I'm dissolving the deposits as we speak

·
Registered
782 Posts
Has anyone ever seen what Seafoam can do when it comes to removing deposits? Does it really work?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts