Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early CX with manual cam chain adjuster - is it possible to replace with the later automatic setup?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I have an early CX with manual cam chain adjuster - is it possible to replace with the later automatic setup?
not easily,but why would you want to....

it has been confirmed the manual set up is much more durable than the automatic adjuster.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the stator on coils for the ignition are dead on my engine and I have been given a rear case for a later engine - with NO hole for manual cam chain adjuster. I was also given , from the same source , the rear pulsars and ignitors in order to convert from CDI to ignition amplifier. So it seems like a logical conclusion to convert the camchain from manual to automatic adjusters and thus update the motor... unless you think this is a retrograde step.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
BGB

I have TI motor now and much prefer it to my old CDI bikes

Mind you the Ignitech upgrade is a very good one

I have an auto adjuster and while I they they are pretty good persoanlly

I was talking to a few guys who reckoned theyre ok as long as you dont let

the cam chain get too worn as the chain thrashing about is what causes the adjusters

to break up.

Tha what they say anyway

I have new chain and adjuster in mine and hope its all good

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought two dead motors for the equivalent of $50. I am sure that I can make one worker out of them. Who knows - I might even be able to create another bike out of all my bits and pieces. Wish me luck folks.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motors in better condition than expected. One just had a jammed gearchange - easy fix by re-indexing the selector. The other seems OK - good compression , all gears , alternator OK , will install this and see if it runs during the next week or so.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stuff me with a roasted haddock - the engine fired first time.I even tried the spare motors. One works great ( good runner ) other fired but needs sorting and setting up . Will keep the first engine - the one I built myself as it is the better of the bunch. I should be on the road before Christmas. And they say - keep death off the road - LOL ROFLMAS ( Roll On Floor Laughing My Arse Off ).

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Stuff me with a roasted haddock - the engine fired first time.I even tried the spare motors. One works great ( good runner ) other fired but needs sorting and setting up . Will keep the first engine - the one I built myself as it is the better of the bunch. I should be on the road before Christmas. And they say - keep death off the road - LOL ROFLMAS ( Roll On Floor Laughing My Arse Off ).

Did you get my PM?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes , I got the PM OK - but I have a mercury carb balance set and am dam expert myself.The engine I have installed works fine I just need to complete the bikes fitting and recommissioning in order to put her on the road. It should take not much more than another couple of weeks , work permitting. I would like , however to be "friends" but don`t get the wrong idea LOL .
Did you get my PM?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Yes , I got the PM OK - but I have a mercury carb balance set and am dam expert myself.The engine I have installed works fine I just need to complete the bikes fitting and recommissioning in order to put her on the road. It should take not much more than another couple of weeks , work permitting. I would like , however to be "friends" but don`t get the wrong idea LOL .

It was just in case you didn't have a carb balancer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.