Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting ready to pull my motor to replace the cam chain and the oil pump chain. Looking on E-Bay I see there are multiple gaskets sets available from $50.00 to $130.00. Is there a noticeable difference from set to set? I also have a noisy clutch when I let it out; I replaced the discs, the springs and the small bearing in the cover. Is there something else I should be looking for when I have the front and rear covers off?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hi Mark,you will find this helpfull.

http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/149387/ShowPost.aspx

lots of part number for you to pull on.

dont know about your gasket sets.but,i would use a honda gasket on the rear case.

as you pull the rear cover,make sure you tap the gearshift back in as you go

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,213 Posts
I also have a noisy clutch when I let it out; I replaced the discs, the springs and the small bearing in the cover. Is there something else I should be looking for when I have the front and rear covers off?
Clutch chatter can result from burs on the fingers of the clutch basket. I haven't done it, but I think you can just file them smooth.

R

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
I always go with a honda rear cover gasket as thickness is key and it involves more work if something goes wrong. The front cover and clutch cover gaskets can be hand made out of gasket paper if needed.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I always go with a honda rear cover gasket as thickness is key and it involves more work if something goes wrong. The front cover and clutch cover gaskets can be hand made out of gasket paper if needed.

Plus it comes with just the right amount of Hylomar already applied.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Plus it comes with just the right amount of Hylomar already applied.

My rear cove has no gasket. Just RTV. I have had zero issues with this.

how often do the oil pump chains go out? i just enlarged the holes to get more adjustment out of mine.....

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
My rear cove has no gasket. Just RTV. I have had zero issues with this.

how often do the oil pump chains go out? i just enlarged the holes to get more adjustment out of mine.....
If you had to enlarge the holes to get the proper tension you need to replace the chain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts