Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front brake on my CX500 is pretty rough looking, some oxidation and pads seems rusted in place. Definitely needs stripped down, cleaned and painted.

Figured made sense to buy one of those K&L caliper rebuild kits since the rubber is looking a bit worse for wear, and since dismantling anyway, well, just seems the thing to do.

Never done it before though so, hoped someone here had a good How-To/DIY link for doing the rebuild and cleaning.

Also (if wanted/needed) I can post a photo, see if should/shouldn't replace the rubber.

Thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
I had the single piston brake on my 79 too before replacing it with a dual piston one.
I think that there is a rebuild link on the wiki that is for the dual piston caliper, but is also helpful for the single piston one too.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the dual piston make much difference?

Just need to get a basic run through, just to see if anything I should/shouldn't do so, I'll check the wiki out and see. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
IF your calipers are looking worse for wear then I would recommend replacing the rubber. I recently had my calipers sand blasted, but if you choose to do this make sure that you leave old rubber, banjo bolts, and pistons in place and replace them afterwards as they will be fupped.

Then they're ready to paint, keep everything in place till you've finished painting them. That way no shot or paint gets into the caliper itself.

Once they're finished remove the pistons and rubber and attend to the corrosion around where the seals go(if any) with a soft brass wire brush (small). I used one for an engravers dremel tool. It was perfect, soft enough to not take away any aluminium so the seals will seat properly.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya... the piston rubber doesn't look too bad, but the boots are borderline crumbly...

I probably won't sand blast, and hopefully the piston doesn't need replacing. brake line seems good but the banjo bolt is pretty bad. Master cylinder is dried out and needs some attention as well.

Did you sand blast the entire thing? or just the part that houses the piston?

Overall I think its in good shape, some white oxidation on the aluminum, the black powder coating on the rest is still pretty good, few small nicks... may sand smooth enough to just paint over.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Balls... the wiki link for the caliper rebuild links to a dead page. :S

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I sand blasted the whole thing. Like I said I left the bajo bolt and the pistons in place as sacrificial lambs so to speak, as they are all going to be replaced. The reason I had them blasted is because it was just too finnicky to get all the paint off.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, getting new rubber but hoping not needing new pistons so, don't want to sacrifice those.

Would a strong paint stripper work on the black paint? Or are these powder coated?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Parts finally came... got it apart last night, air compressor this morning took care of the stuck piston.

Looks like it dried out inside, barley a beer bottle caps worth of fluid. Grease all thick and congealed. Otherwise I think in decent shape.

Small bits are soaking in CLR, the bolts and metal pieces for the brakes etc... wanted to dunk the aluminum bracket in but read that CLR isn't good for aluminum. Has a decent amount of thick/lumpy oxidation though... any suggestions?

Main question though... piston... out... decent shape but a few small rusted spots. How bad is bad in terms of needing a new one? and any suggestions for cleaning inside the caliper where the piston sits? I'm not sure if its steel, or aluminum or what...

Got some images uploaded... will be making a blog eventually, until think... Photobucket works

1979 Honda CX500 Photos by THRobinson | Photobucket

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Click on your photo and select "share options" you will get a menu and select "img", paste that into your post ans you will see the pic like this.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup I know how... But had a few photos and people might want to see other stuff I have posted. And if I change the photos in the album it breaks the link.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well... bolts are all clean and rust free. CLR made them a bit black, cleaned up with some toothpaste and a scotch pad.

From other posts on other boards, it seems that when in doubt just replace the piston so, ordered one off eBay. Hoped to have this all done this weekend but guess delayed a week (or three) waiting for the part. :S

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So, parts have all been stripped, cleaned, painted, cured, and ready for reassembly... had to wait a while to get the new piston which finally came.

After I stick together I need to look at the line and master cylinder. Worried that the brake fluid dried up in the lines like in the caliper and lines are no good. Any suggestions for cleaning those out? Also, the master cylinder... was empty, rubber all dried, so needs some work. Was looking at rebuild kits, one is the rubber, another has more parts but no idea how to tell if I need a full rebuild or just gaskets. Also noticed that the price of a rebuild was about as much as a new generic master cylinder... so wondering... how do I know if needs a full rebuild? and is it just better to buy a new one?

What I did so far...

I soaked the parts a few days in a mineral solvent. Scrubbed them clean and then soaked in CLR. Came out well but bolts turned a bit black. I then used furniture paint stripper on the black caliper part and removed as much paint as possible scrubbing with a brass brush. Then cleaned everything up with a dremel tool with a small brass brush wheel. By the time I was done my Ultrasonic Cleaner came so, gave it a cleaning in water with some pine-sol. When all done I used a cloth and some Meguiar's ultimate compound to remove some black and give a light coat of wax to help against flash rust.

Here is a before/after of the parts so far. Painted the main part with VHT satin black caliper paint, and the bracket came out a bit lighter than hoped, wanted it a bit more grey. Paint looked fine in the store because of the florescent lights... outside was lighter, but... it was a GM paint called Galaxy Silver Metallic.

_MG_5931.jpg
_MG_5969.jpg

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks... now I have to get it back together again. :D

Ya... I like cheap, and not worried about original anything to be honest. Overall plan is still to lose the airbox, smaller battery, switch the seat and customize the gauges... got a nice set of Harley pipes yesterday for $50 too. But ya... having seen the repair kits and prices of a new one on eBay, I was leaning towards new.

Brake line though... wow... price was much more than expected for a simple hose. Been trying to find some length information about it... read 39", 40".... thought with the length and type of banjo ends (straight, angled, etc) I'd be able to find a decent generic one online maybe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts