Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

There is a new post on Fleabay today that has a front caliper for sale that is advertised as being from a 1981 GL500. To me it looks like a single piston caliper. The photo I posted here is on my GL500 and appears to be a dual piston caliper. I am wondering if the caliper on my bike is original. It works OK but my old Yamaha YR1 350 had a front drum brake and it was a 2 finger operation to easily make a panic stop if necessary. I think I read somewhere how the braking performance could be improved with my caliper. Inquiring minds want to know. Billrod

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
That's the right caliper for your bike. Duel piston all the way.

Remember ebay sellers can be the moron next door that can't figure out how to open the door so take it as it is. But if they Took the caliper and mount off a cx500 and used the larger disc it would or should work just fine.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Yep, I wouldn't trust an ebay seller farther than I could throw my cx's motor. I bought a rear drive flange from a guy who said it was from a chain-driven Honda ATV! Bill, you've got the good setup that some of us poor single-piston types want to have. You could improve things by going with a steel brake line and maybe even a new master cylinder.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I also question if different pads would improve things. I guess that the single caliper was marginal and it the reason Honda went to dual calipers on the interstate. Maybe someday I will find a parts bike and give the dual caliper a try. Actually, at my age, I am not the fast rider of years ago and try to avoid situation where I would need to make panic stops. It still would be nice to have the capability. Billrod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.