Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help me ,removed air box from my cx500 .putting on pods also put in new jets 90 & 120 carbs cleaned inside out ,air/fuel screw turned out 2-1/2 turns idel Screw turned up just more then normal .bike will start sometimes 1 out of 7 tries and a lot of the time smoke come from the right pod ,all the time trying to start the bike kills the battery so I have to wait the next evening to try again , it’s driving crazy any help would be greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
There is issues with pods possibly blocking/obstructing some carb "circuitry" at the "bellmouth/inlet" I believe....tho this mighten be your major issue.
Does the bike start with pods removed??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven’t tried that yet but will tomorrow night should it start with them off, and what do you think might be my major issue

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
As mentioned some pods block the atmospheric ports. what pods are you using. I'm no expert on pods, but if it starts with out them that may be your issue. These carbs are nasty buggers to clean properly. there are a couple books in my sig line regarding carb cleaning

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As mentioned some pods block the atmospheric ports. what pods are you using. I'm no expert on pods, but if it starts with out them that may be your issue. These carbs are nasty buggers to clean properly. there are a couple books in my sig line regarding carb cleaning
That's great ill check them out.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I haven’t tried that yet but will tomorrow night should it start with them off, and what do you think might be my major issue
Either the pod rubbers are blocking those ports....or those carbs need further cleaning as per the manuals mentioned. ....I only have expsrience with the Mike Nixon book but Larry is a Legend on this forum

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
try it without the pods. And how old is your fuel? Has it sat with fuel in the carbs for several weeks ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is issues with pods possibly blocking/obstructing some carb "circuitry" at the "bellmouth/inlet" I believe....tho this mighten be your major issue.
Does the bike start with pods removed??
Got it running 2 problems battery not fully charge /oring broke inside the air/fuel screw thanks for the help lads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts