Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
I switched out my handle bars for a set of Omar's adjustable cafe bars which are the badassest bars on the planet. So I dry fit the bars and attached all the controls for an operational check. Brake and clutch cables were easily enough, rerouted and feel like they will work correctly. The throttle is another story. I tried moving the cables several times to no avail. When the throttle handle is in riding position, it will not return on it's own. The cables are too long when routed between the forks. Any idea if I pull the cables from the handle and route them out around the side and across the front of the forks if that will allow the throttle to be mounted and function properly? Do I just need to purchase new cables? Do I....?????
These adjustable bars are fantastic. The craftsmanship of the manufacturing of these bars is great, they look and feel flawless. With an Allen wrench you can adjust the bars to a perfect fit. Riding position AND tank clearance. Bars and your controls are no where near your precious paint. Check out their website, they also carry new shocks for our bikes, I'm in the process of getting a pair of those ordered up for me in my size/weight and color combo.
I also swapped out my humped factory seat for a flat seat from a seller off eBay that's in Viet Nam. Seems like it's going to be pretty nice. Material feels top notch, nice and thick. Stitching seems solid and heavy enough. Seat pan was freshly repainted. Cover is on square and straight and foam is straight as well. Search eBay, easy to find the guy/company.
And lastly I threw a new set of Metzler's on it. Look nice, but... until throttle returns on it's own, I'll have to get back to you on the tires.
Help me out guys, get my throttle to return on it's own. Greg

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nice find on the bars.

Well, my only tip is to play with the adjusting nut on the throttle side of the cable, because the relative tension between the push and pull cables will cause the throttle to stick. Not sure if that is your problem, but it is something to play with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I loosened the nut on the cables at the handle housing to allow the cables more movement. Didn't help. Wow, I can do all those steps in shortening some cables but that's a lot of work! Anything short of that much tear down (your pulling those cables off the carbs). Bricklayers use muratic acid to clean masonry with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts