Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy an after market cafe seat for my 81 CX500 c. If I find a seat that has been built on a 1978 standard or delux, will it work for my bike?

Also, if anyone has a suggestion of where or how to get a cafe style seat for my bike I would appreciate it.

Although I know this is not a true cafe seat, I like the way it looks and am curious to see what you guys think:

http://www.hondaclassic31.com/servlet/the-1439/1978-Honda-CX500-Standard/Detail

·
Registered
254 Posts
Be careful with those Ebay seats. They look good in a picture, but once you get them on the bike, they are very unproportionate and down right ugly.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I am looking to buy an after market cafe seat for my 81 CX500 c. If I find a seat that has been built on a 1978 standard or delux, will it work for my bike?

Also, if anyone has a suggestion of where or how to get a cafe style seat for my bike I would appreciate it.

Although I know this is not a true cafe seat, I like the way it looks and am curious to see what you guys think:

http://www.hondaclas...Standard/Detail

To answer your original question, the Custom seats attach differently from the standard/deluxe ones. You custom guys have a bolt on seat, the S/D's have 2 spring loaded hooks underneath.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey emt, have you seen many pics of those seats on bikes in person? This worries me because i just ordered one last week.
Here is a pic of my bike with one on it.....it was so ugly that I took it off and fabricated my own tail section after about one week of riding with it.

[attachment=822:cx500 cafe2.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Here is a pic of my bike with one on it.....it was so ugly that I took it off and fabricated my own tail section after about one week of riding with it.

[attachment=822:cx500 cafe2.JPG]

I agree with EMT. Not liking the way that looks at all. Too wide, hides the frame and top of the shocks. I'll be honest, 99.99% of the pre-fabbed cafe seats/pans really do not look well on our bikes. They are built for bike with a flat frame, as we all know our bikes are unique and have a fun "dip" beneath the seat.

Learn as much as you can about fiberglass and make one that looks good, by following the frame.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree with EMT. Not liking the way that looks at all. Too wide, hides the frame and top of the shocks. I'll be honest, 99.99% of the pre-fabbed cafe seats/pans really do not look well on our bikes. They are built for bike with a flat frame, as we all know our bikes are unique and have a fun "dip" beneath the seat.

Learn as much as you can about fiberglass and make one that looks good, by following the frame.
Yep, I agree completely. Here is a pic of the seat that I made from scratch. I cut the frame rails down a little bit just to get a lower stance for the seat, but it was super easy to do and I am very happy with the outcome.

[attachment=826:guzzi1.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I guess it's all a matter of taste. Some guys wouldn't ride a cafe bike, preferring their blinged out harleys or what-have-you. I found a cafe seat off of ebay that I really like. It's only mocked up on my frame right now, but I think it will 'finish' the bike nicely.

All in one's taste I believe. BTW-I picked out my GL500 from a graveyard bush, because someone thought it was 'junk'. I instantly loved the lines of it, and could see a beautiful project. so much for junk.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I really love the Dark Wing seat. I'm thinking it would make an awesome seat for a scrambler type of CX. Says it's for a GL but I could probably make it fit. I really want that loaf of bread seat look.

Owen

·
Registered
234 Posts
I guess it's all a matter of taste. Some guys wouldn't ride a cafe bike, preferring their blinged out harleys or what-have-you. I found a cafe seat off of ebay that I really like. It's only mocked up on my frame right now, but I think it will 'finish' the bike nicely.

All in one's taste I believe. BTW-I picked out my GL500 from a graveyard bush, because someone thought it was 'junk'. I instantly loved the lines of it, and could see a beautiful project. so much for junk.

Got any pics of your seat?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Will post pics for sure when frame is back from powder coating. It's from Neuxstone I think. It;s a little wider at the rear, but nice slope to it.

I like it. I think it;s the phat tail.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Yep, you are absolutely right, to each their own. I was not happy with the look of that particular seat and I didn't want anyone else to make the $175.00 mistake that I made. If anyone does like the look of that seat, I have it listed for sale in the for sale section for $25.00 with the pan.

I would love to see a pic of your seat!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I like that flat tracker seat quite a bit. Wish they had it in a flat, 2 seater version.

The only problem I have with this seat pan is it's very wide and a little uncomfortable

on the inside of my legs (31" inseam) when flatfooting. The good thing about it, it's

"very" comfortable riding with the the Hotwing Glass cushion.

Have a Vstrom for two up riding.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The only problem I have with this seat pan is it's very wide and a little uncomfortable
on the inside of my legs (31" inseam) when flatfooting. The good thing about it, it's
"very" comfortable riding with the the Hotwing Glass cushion.

Have a Vstrom for two up riding.

Great shots Bill, thanks a ton. Love that seat but i see it's not exactly the look I'm after. I want a more Triumph Scrambler, CB305, loaf of bread seat. I'll they cutting the stock foam and see what happens.

Owen

PS posting with a new browser in an effort to eliminate the junk associated with my postings.

Peace

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.