Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have decided to start working on my cafe seat and I am trying to figure out the design first. I have mocked up a few styles in photoshop and would like some opinions. Let me know which one you like, or if you think something else entirely would look better please share. I have included 5 samples that I like below. I also included a number with each style so they are easier to recognize. Thanks for everything guys.

Cody

·
Registered
409 Posts
I like #5. To me it's all about the lines and how they flow with one another. I like 5 because of the curvature on the sitting area and then that flows up and then down real nice and smooth with the back hump portion.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a #2 and I think its OK. The lights are bolted to the seat, no room for a plate though. So it's on the side of the wheel. I think 4 or 5 looks better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How will you get the frame flat like that under the seat?
well, the frame is flat from the tank to the point where the shocks mount, then it raises up. This is the only feature that i dont like about the cx500s because it makes fitting a seat kind of hard, and making it look good even harder. I havent totally figured it out yet but I know there is a way to make it look good, just have to keep brainstorming I guess

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
well, the frame is flat from the tank to the point where the shocks mount, then it raises up. This is the only feature that i dont like about the cx500s because it makes fitting a seat kind of hard, and making it look good even harder. I havent totally figured it out yet but I know there is a way to make it look good, just have to keep brainstorming I guess

yup.

IMO, it's hard to make a flat seat look good on these frames. Although, I have seen it done right once.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I like number 4 - it suits the tank giving it a more `60s Honda Racer look.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im starting to think that #1 #2 #3 are out for now. I really like that style but it would have to be with a different tank to really work (IMO). I was looking at buying a pre-fabed seat but the more I look at the bike I think i would have to do a lot of work to even a pre-fabed one to make it look right, so I may as well build one from the ground up and be able to control exactly how it looks. I feel that there are many bikes that you can just slap any old cafe seat on and it will look ok but the challenge with our CX's is that pesky little area where the shocks mount and the frame is raised up. I have thought about cutting that part off and running straight pipe, then just welding new upper shock mounts and putting some shorter, stiffer shocks on the back. But for now I dont have the resources to make that happen and I like the challenge. I think that I will make a permanent mold when i do the seat that way I can reproduce them if ever want another or someone else likes the way it looks. I will keep everyone posted when I start the mock up and get more opinions then. For now keep the votes coming in and if anyone has another idea please feel free to post it.

Cody

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Check out these people. I just spoke to them at an event. Their work is outstanding! I saw a nice vinyl/leather cafe seat they made from a seat pan that looked great. The lady told me it would run around $250 as a quick estimate. I know it is more than most of us want to spend, but I tell you it looked as pro as could be.

It would do away with any worries about the dip in the frame too as it is using your original seat pan.

http://www.pirateupholstery.com/

The one I saw was much better than this one they have on their website. Wish they would show the one I saw, it had black with white stripes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
#5 by far...you have kept the classic straight line from the tank bottom through the seat bottom...the curve and radius from the seat bottom to the seat back will fit you better, unless you have a square rear end...the curve/ roundness on the back maintains the same shape of the tank and does not fight with it... if you are making out of glass where you can make curved shapes, then don't use squareshapes, flat edges, sharp corners (which are difficult in glass) and are the halmarks of sheet metal work...to me, (who cares) the mass on the back seems just a bit too large in comparison to the tank...and lastly, you mingt wnat to draw in the padding as that may change how it looks to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with Phil. I don't know if he's talking about his seat, but I love it and is by far the best one I have seen.

Would it be possible to have it molded so you can pop others out and sell?

Swade

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree with Phil. I don't know if he's talking about his seat, but I love it and is by far the best one I have seen.

Would it be possible to have it molded so you can pop others out and sell?

Swade
Swade, Are you asking if I can make a mold? if that is what you are asking then yes, I plan to make a mold of my seat so it can easily be reproduced if desired.

Cody

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im starting to think that #1 #2 #3 are out for now. I really like that style but it would have to be with a different tank to really work (IMO). I was looking at buying a pre-fabed seat but the more I look at the bike I think i would have to do a lot of work to even a pre-fabed one to make it look right, so I may as well build one from the ground up and be able to control exactly how it looks. I feel that there are many bikes that you can just slap any old cafe seat on and it will look ok but the challenge with our CX's is that pesky little area where the shocks mount and the frame is raised up. I have thought about cutting that part off and running straight pipe, then just welding new upper shock mounts and putting some shorter, stiffer shocks on the back. But for now I dont have the resources to make that happen and I like the challenge. I think that I will make a permanent mold when i do the seat that way I can reproduce them if ever want another or someone else likes the way it looks. I will keep everyone posted when I start the mock up and get more opinions then. For now keep the votes coming in and if anyone has another idea please feel free to post it.

Cody

Glad to see you nixed 1,2 &3 they just dont go with that tank. 5 looks to be the better match for the lines of the bike to flow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.