Honda CX 500 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I'm 66yrs old. I have been riding since 16. I still like the feel of a small bike. When the deluxe came out, it was during the '60s and '70s chopper craze. I never fully liked the way Honda tried to make a chopper looking bike with the CX. I like a forward lean when riding. The deluxe was made to sit you up with high bars and the front end was lifted with drop down triple clamps so I changed that to fit my riding style. The big fluffy saddle wouldn't do with my new position either so that had to go. I ride for a few hours on my CX but I have other bikes that are better for longer rides so its my around town type bike. I would agree, any vehicle, modified you loose some reliability.

I think the reason why there are so many modified CX's is due to the numbers sold. They were very popular after coming out of the 1970's energy crisis. I worked uncrating and assembling bikes at a Honda dealer when I was in high school. Between another guy and myself, we would uncrate 18 bikes a day. They were sold as fast as we could get them to the showroom floor. We assembled a lot of CX's. There are a lot of them still sitting in the back of garages or in sheds. Some are in better shape than others. These things are over 40 years old. They are not all good lookers.
The older I get, the more I like the feel of a smaller bike too. Not sure how much longer I'm going to want to wrestle the Triumph in tight spaces but I do love the performance and big fuel tank.

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Why should a modded bike be less reliable?

Mine has a dual ignition system. It can switch between stock pulsers and hall by changing jumpers. If one fails I can switch to the other.

The engine is fully rebuilt. All wiring and most electrical components are new. All bearings {frame, engine and gearbox} are new.

And as for my age on a cafe? If I can do it physically without suffering who's business is it but mine? Besides, I'm not actually into the cafe craze that I dress for it. I still wear a full face helmet. Who knows how old I am? And I couldn't give a rats what anybody might think anyway....

·
Registered
865 Posts
And speaking of airheads....and cafed/custom bikes....this was in my inbox ... View attachment 203724
Yes, most of us in the airheads club are not thrilled about the chopping up of beautiful examples and most despise brown seats, but if it’s your bike it’s your bike to do whatever you want with it. The more that get chopped the more the survivors are worth.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My build thread is here:

From a box of parts

To a few updated shots below

Still waiting on a ton of parts but it's coming along.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, to each their own! However I can never see myself chopping up a CX/GL. The aesthetics of cafes always look off to me. The big CX engine upfront and all the back-end removed, it just doesn’t look visually balanced.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
A characteristic of cafe racers is that they are fast. In stock form, this motor's torque and HP numbers are respectable for what the bike was designed for. What more can be had from this motor and at what cost?

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
If you're going to run Murrays carbs and want to get the most out of them port the heads. Don't be aggressive but clean them up and polish the exhaust ports. Do or get a 3/4 {30,45,60,70} angle valve job. Back cut the valves 30 degrees to improve the flow.

Use a Raesan.

Put the bike and yourself on a diet. The thingy is sub 200 kg with a full tank.

These things can move a lot faster than they do stock.

In addition to this my thingummy engine {under test in my rider} has a lightened rotor and a lightened and balanced crank and lightened rods.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found my current 1980 cx 500 custom on craigslist motorcycle parts four hours after listing. Contacted the seller, set up a viewing. Next day, the price was increased $400. When we got together, I mentioned the price change, was told every other contact wanted to cafe/bobber it. He did not want that done so he raised the price to scare 'em off. Said he could tell I wouldn't do that. Seller was 23 yrs old, fresh out of college, first bike, a really refreshing youngster. 9,700 miles, always garage kept, 2 miles away, fantastic shape, best one yet. 4 in 4 years. She who must be obeyed says this is View attachment 203666 THE ONE!
Nice it’s soo clean

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love café racers and currently finishing up a build at a shop... they are finishing off my wiring. I’m in the middle of a monoshock conversion and as much as people going to hate it but I love it. Had a munit installed some motone Switches, and will do a front end conversion as well eventual. My thing is I like to make the bike mine. Unique to myself and love what I do in the process. No one has to like it but the person riding it(me). They including myself are putting the money and hard work into it. Just hope they finish. I know mine is about done

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't agree with people saying they are common bikes. I don't think the really are any more.. At least where I am. If I search e-Bay for example, if 20 bikes come up, 15 will be 'cafe'd'...

But this is how it works.. Only the best things gets kept.. The rest all get scrapped.. This is why most 30 year cars you see are the GTI versions.. I own a 1991 Peugeot 205 1100cc, and I am finding it pretty damn difficult to find parts for.. But what do other people want to do? They offer to buy it- and then they will banger race.. = even less of that model..

But this is as it goes with every car or bike. VW beetles were also 'common' infact record breaking.. But I haven't seen one in years.. Austin Minis ??? I can't think of the last time I saw one..

·
Registered
1980 Honda cx500 custom
158 Posts
Been thinking of this lately, remember the chopper craze of the '60's & '70's? Sweet Knuckle heads, Wl.s, my favorites, Honda 305's & 250's. All pretty much looked the same except for the paint. Don't get me wrong, my brother, friends & myself all butchered some nice bikes back then. Case in point, my brothers 1968 Triumph TR6C. My 2 cents, once again, Paul

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
I don't agree with people saying they are common bikes. I don't think the really are any more.. At least where I am. If I search e-Bay for example, if 20 bikes come up, 15 will be 'cafe'd'...

But this is how it works.. Only the best things gets kept.. The rest all get scrapped.. This is why most 30 year cars you see are the GTI versions.. I own a 1991 Peugeot 205 1100cc, and I am finding it pretty damn difficult to find parts for.. But what do other people want to do? They offer to buy it- and then they will banger race.. = even less of that model..

But this is as it goes with every car or bike. VW beetles were also 'common' infact record breaking.. But I haven't seen one in years.. Austin Minis ??? I can't think of the last time I saw one..
Amen. I can picture the scene 50 years from now when a CX500 is found in original condition and hearing how rare it is to find one because they were disrespected and most were chopped and customized. The originals will be in a museum and the customs will be in a scrapyard. I'm not criticizing anyone for customizing their personal property (maybe a little), I'm predicting the future based on retrospective analysis.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Seems most would agree to keep a pristine orginal bike that way and do what ever you want with the rest. My Silverwing may look orginal but it is a collection of four bikes at last count. Guess that makes it a Custom Touring bike, right?

Reactions: almostordinary
81 - 100 of 100 Posts