Honda CX 500 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Freebirdbeachbum
Having trouble getting the forum to quote you here. This is in reply to your question about the difference in effort between resto and custom.

The difference is fairly large.

Restoration is a discipline. Not that my Ozdeluxe is a full on resto but it's close {the reason it's not a resto is because the bike was originally an 81 standard, now it's a 500D replica}. The paint colour was dictated by the available stock colours for that year. The paint is 3 stage and expensive stuff.

With a custom you just pick a colour you like.

Customs are just plain fun and a chance to use a bit of creativity. I like to make one off parts.

And I justify this by starting off with stuff that was heading for parts or scrap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@Deliverance my bike came in a few bins too!

The more complete picture above is a bit of smoke and mirrors as everything is either missing a nut or is held on by hopes and prayers and everything aside from the frame and engine are being replaced.

Going to be fun building a bike that will get people talking about CX's and something that was otherwise headed to the crusher.

·
Registered
39 Posts
HAHAHA! I do want to build another Bimmer, but next time I won't be so active w them on the forums... glad I wasn't alone in that sentiment. whew!

·
Registered
1980 Honda cx500 custom
158 Posts
Had a 2013 c600 sport, f%*#[email protected] techs wouldn't even give you the time of day, let alone "real" BMW riders. 2014 BMW f800 gt, "gt"?, sat like a crotch rocket, physically, the hottest bike I've ever owned. GT?, gimme a break, also, not a real BMW. 1993 r100r, MONEY FREAKING PIT, but a real bmw.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have a 1995 r100rt and absolutely love it. A true mile muncher. Have a 1994 r100gs and absolutely love it. Love exploring the dirt roads! Have a 1982 gl500i and absolutely love it. Stone cold reliable with a lot of personality. Definitely not a mile muncher but still very enjoyable to ride. You’ll find bad apples in any group. I find the airhead club a lot of fun with a wide range of members from all walks of life. A great group of people much like here.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Had a 2013 c600 sport, f%*#[email protected] techs wouldn't even give you the time of day, let alone "real" BMW riders. 2014 BMW f800 gt, "gt"?, sat like a crotch rocket, physically, the hottest bike I've ever owned. GT?, gimme a break, also, not a real BMW. 1993 r100r, MONEY FREAKING PIT, but a real bmw.
umm that rider sentiment was somewhat similar to the V-rod Harleys when first launched here....then to compound things further for us non-Americans there's the Indian (as in made in India) Harleys (500/750) that are making their way onto our market...

·
Registered
1980 Honda cx500 custom
158 Posts
The 1993 was the most fun of the three, it just had too many owners and not enough lovin' before I got it.
439.JPG

I have a 1995 r100rt and absolutely love it. A true mile muncher. Have a 1994 r100gs and absolutely love it. Love exploring the dirt roads! Have a 1982 gl500i and absolutely love it. Stone cold reliable with a lot of personality. Definitely not a mile muncher but still very enjoyable to ride. You’ll find bad apples in any group. I find the airhead club a lot of fun with a wide range of members from all walks of life. A great group of people much like here.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I find the airhead club a lot of fun with a wide range of members from all walks of life. A great group of people much like here.
I've always liked the air heads, classic good looks and don't need a computer or computer degree to work on them. (y)

·
Registered
832 Posts
What is your air head site(s) of choice Doug?

·
Registered
865 Posts
What is your air head site(s) of choice Doug?
The most active is on the ADVRider site. I don’t visit the actual Airhead club’s site very often but I do receive the AirMail. The Airhead meet ups are always a good time. Hopefully no pandemic next year to put a damper on these meet ups!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don’t understand why someone over the age of consent would take this well built, designed, and capable bike and turn it into a useless cafe racer.
A friend of mine picked up a '79 Deluxe for cheap. It was OK but not a real beauty. He rode it for a while. It fell over a few times and was a bit banged up. Then one day a lady pulled out in front of him and he t-bones her.
It slid down the road, flipped over and slid on the other side until it hit the curb. His insurance company totaled it. The insurance agent told my friend it had zero value so he could keep it. My friend then gave it to me.

Reading this thread and others, what is never mentioned is bikes like this one. It would have ended up in the scrap yard. I took it and built a very nice ride. It looks nothing like what Honda created. It is probably 100 pounds lighter and handles much better then when it was in original form. I built it with after market parts, not 40 year old hard to get parts. These parts were a fraction of the cost of original parts and I had fun building a one off bike.

So what do you do? There's a '79 Deluxe on the road that's fun to ride.
Or should I have passed on my friends gift and let it go to the scrap yard?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
A friend of mine picked up a '79 Deluxe for cheap. It was OK but not a real beauty. He rode it for a while. It fell over a few times and was a bit banged up. Then one day a lady pulled out in front of him and he t-bones her.
It slid down the road, flipped over and slid on the other side until it hit the curb. His insurance company totaled it. The insurance agent told my friend it had zero value so he could keep it. My friend then gave it to me.

Reading this thread and others, what is never mentioned is bikes like this one. It would have ended up in the scrap yard. I took it and built a very nice ride. It looks nothing like what Honda created. It is probably 100 pounds lighter and handles much better then when it was in original form. I built it with after market parts, not 40 year old hard to get parts. These parts were a fraction of the cost of original parts and I had fun building a one off bike.

So what do you do? There's a '79 Deluxe on the road that's fun to ride.
Or should I have passed on my friends gift and let it go to the scrap yard?
Note that I said "well built, designed and capable". After being involved in such a crash, it doesn't sound like any of those attributes remained. I still stand by my comment about an adult on a cafe racer however.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm 66yrs old. I have been riding since 16. I still like the feel of a small bike. When the deluxe came out, it was during the '60s and '70s chopper craze. I never fully liked the way Honda tried to make a chopper looking bike with the CX. I like a forward lean when riding. The deluxe was made to sit you up with high bars and the front end was lifted with drop down triple clamps so I changed that to fit my riding style. The big fluffy saddle wouldn't do with my new position either so that had to go. I ride for a few hours on my CX but I have other bikes that are better for longer rides so its my around town type bike. I would agree, any vehicle, modified you loose some reliability.

I think the reason why there are so many modified CX's is due to the numbers sold. They were very popular after coming out of the 1970's energy crisis. I worked uncrating and assembling bikes at a Honda dealer when I was in high school. Between another guy and myself, we would uncrate 18 bikes a day. They were sold as fast as we could get them to the showroom floor. We assembled a lot of CX's. There are a lot of them still sitting in the back of garages or in sheds. Some are in better shape than others. These things are over 40 years old. They are not all good lookers.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts