Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, thanks to everyone on this forum who over the past 3 months has helped me get my feet wet with a CX. So here it is. I have included a few before pics as well as some from yesterday (her maiden voyage). I will post more in the next few days, my vinyl should be here tomorrow. Its a 1979 CX custom, with help from a few other donor bikes. The hand controls are from a GSXR, the shifter is half harley, the pipes are from god knows where (ebay), the seat is a 1980 CX tank, etc...

before -

after -

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
I question the exhaust. I would hate to see a speed bump take them off. Any chance you fitted mini silencers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I question the exhaust. I would hate to see a speed bump take them off. Any chance you fitted mini silencers.
The exhaust is loud and rightly deserves questioning, but I like it. I'm sure it will turn allot of people off. There are baffles in there believe it or not. I don't know where they came from (sticker said made in japan) or what bike they are originally for. They help make the bike a little "non" original. Still working on the FINE tuning because of the pipes, pods, and jets. I'm running 90/125. I almost have it just right, but not yet. No speed bumps yet either, its only been on the road 1 day so far.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
First off, beautiful build, very nice.

I will give a little critique of the yellow radiator, IMHO it detracts from the rest of the bike. It draws attention to itself, demands it actually, and makes the rest of the bike fade in the back ground. Creative criticism, but you might think about toning it down, it draws most if not all the attention when you see the bike.

To each his own, and if you love it, keep and forget about it. It just sticks out like a sore thumb and demands way more attention than it deserves when compared to the rest of the niceties found on you bike.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Yeah seems like the radiator should be blue or black. But it's your bike. NateDawg runs around on a bike that looks like it was made for Ronald McDonald but he loves it just fine.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The yellow doesnt do it for me , but each to their own.

My bigger concern would be those mufflers digging into the road when you lean her over into an adventurous turn... plus for me , I would want that noise behind me rather than riding into it all the time.

That aside - very cool. I hope my cafe turns out to be that well done.

Cheers from New Zealand

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Well done !

I always enjoy watching people getting creative with these bikes

the pipes raised my eyebrows a bit but I have to agree on the rad comments

that canary yellow doesnt do it for me either.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Bravo! I dig it.

Maybe a comprimise on the radiator, , , a muted gold perhaps?

Same comment on exhaust, safety concerns for me, styling is unique, so good for you on that one!

Rear seat cowl is pretty well done, the lights are almost seemless. I like the blue, nice choice (on the forks too)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I agree that the yellow stands out a little more than I wanted it to, but hoping the canary yellow decals will help offset it. I'll post more pics tonite or later today if I can, hopefully with more yellow.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Every bike is an expression of the owner/builder so be it. I like most anything on two wheels. What rear shocks are those, what spring rate did you use? I have some KYB from a Kawasaki ZRX and they work well once you re-spring them.

Cheers,50gary

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Every bike is an expression of the owner/builder so be it. I like most anything on two wheels. What rear shocks are those, what spring rate did you use? I have some KYB from a Kawasaki ZRX and they work well once you re-spring them.

Cheers,50gary
Gary, they are rear shocks I found on ebay. I believe the are aftermarket replacements for a honda trailbike. I saw someone else on the forum here with them and decided I had to have 'em. I adjusted the spring rate just by turning and bouncing and turning and bouncing until it felt nice and I knew it wouldn't bottom out on the tire.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
some quick pics after wash number 1. I will wash again a little better later this afternoon.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Interesting build. I would have done the radiator in a different color - maybe the lighter blue you have on the suspension/pegs? I would also wrap the headers/pipes to make it one color and look continuous vs. pieced together. There are small baffle plates that rotate that have been used for decades on bikes - they baffle the pipes to quiet them down but can be turned 90 degrees to let the pipe flow freely!

About the Vetter fairing - what became of it? I am working on putting one on my CX. Still working out the details on the mounting bracket.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.