Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had this on the old forum but never updated it recently, since things are changing on it at the moment I thought I'd start a new thread to document it.

I bought it as a $400 bike around 4 years ago, the plan right from the start was to Cafe it, there weren't that many cafed CX's back then but recently, maybe due to the numbers around and the initial price, they seem to have become more popular and there are cafe racer CX's all over the place

Anyway, here's what it was like when I rolled it off the trailer after a 2000km round trip to pick it up and bring it home.

After a few months of work it was on the road, then, when I knew the mechanicals were good it came off the road again for paint and ended up like this.

I road it like this for quite a while changing minor things. Then stage two began.

I made some rear sets, changes the shocks, went frm clubmans to clip ons, changed to an RFID triggered ignition and the major thing added a fairing off of a Laverda SFC750 race bike. I'm also rebuilding the heads and giving them a little work, adding a set of Murrays Mikunis and changing to a electric fan. I have all the stuff just got to finish it all now. As it stands today it looks like this, well actually the fairing is off as today it goes for paint

Actually the pic above isn;t quite right as I also made a fibreglass front fender.

More pics in a few days with the new paint on the fairing and then I can complete the mechanicals and put the racer into 'Cafe Racer'

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Looking sharp Steve!

And I like what you did with the RFID ignition, how is working? Any problems?

Have you rode the bike since installing the Mikunis??

Cheers

Kameron

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow!

That turned out great, a true beauty!

Would you mind sharing where you got your seat pan and what rear shocks are you using?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking sharp Steve!

And I like what you did with the RFID ignition, how is working? Any problems?

Have you rode the bike since installing the Mikunis??

Cheers

Kameron

The RFID ignition has only been on a week or so but I really like it, no problems with it and if it does fail I can pull the seat off and bypass the relay that switches the main power and I'm away. Stil secure though as the seat is bolted on and the wiring is all the same colour so you need to know which is which or spend some time working it out. I fugure this is more secure than the ignition switch.

I haven't out the Mikunis on yet, I am building up some heads especially for them but the painting of the fairing took precedence as it was bugging me, should get the Mikunis on over the next few weeks but I'll try and do the electric fan conversion at the same time since I need to drain the coolant to swap over to my rebuilt heads.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow!

That turned out great, a true beauty!

Would you mind sharing where you got your seat pan and what rear shocks are you using?

The seat pan is from RocCityCafe it's the composite Roadster seat. The grey rear shocks are Enfield Bullet gas shocks (from ebay), they were pretty good but I found them too soft and a little too short for my liking as I wanted to raise the rear to sharpen the steering a bit. The gold shocks are RFY shocks also from ebay, they are pretty good if you drain the oil out and refill and then regas (nitrogen) so they are both setup the same.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finished the homemade front fender, undercoated, painted (to match the silver stripes) and clearcoated to finish off.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got sent a pic from the painter who is doing the fairing with 2K (I cant spray that at home)

Fairing is ready to pickup.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked up the fairing and couldn't resist just placing it on the bike

I think it goes well with the silver fender as well.

Tomorrow I'll put the screen back on and roll it outside for some pics in the daylight as these three dont really show the colour properly.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brought the fairing inside last night and got some heat on it to speed the drying process up, couldn't really bake it but this seemed to do the job pretty well
To be sure I'll let it sit for a week now

After a quick discrete fingernail test I decided I was good to add the screen and graphics.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rolled it outside for some better pics

Next pics will be with the Mikunis and electric fan on.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
437 Posts
Pretty cool video. Hope to make a custom bike someday myself. My gl is getting restored this go round. Your going to get in an accident driving on the wrong side of the road though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The acoustics of the vid are really good behind that big ole wind plow

Looks awesome, thats a cool view through the windscreen. I bet it feels neat getting behind it in a tuck for some high speed riding.

I agree! wrong side! Its such a trip seeing videos from the other side of the planet. things are so different, but equally the same.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts